Potential Bug with 2441ZTH Tstat Fan Control

shannong

I've been creating some programs to provide control of the HVAC system from the wired (2441TH) and wireless (2441ZTH) Insteon thermostats.

I'd like to see the status of and control the fan from the wireless tstat and have that reflected on the wired and vice verse.

I think there is an ISY bug with Fan control for the wireless tstat. When I try to change the mode from Fan Auto to Fan On in the ISY Admin Console I get an error "Request Failed" in a popup window. There are no messages sent to the tstat.

If I create a program (using Run Then) to send the Fan On or Fan Auto commands to the tstat the ISY doesn't send any commands at all. The Event viewer is totally silent.

If I send the Mode Fan command to the tstat from the program, the ISY sends CLIMD 4, CLIMD 1, and then CLIMD 7 in quick succession. The Admin Console which show the state as Fan On. However, that is not reflected on the tstat. Also, any subsequent commands for Fan On, Fan Auto, and Fan Mode commands will not result any commands actually being sent to the tstat and the Fan status in the Admin Console does not change.

If I press the Fan button on the tstat itself the Fan Always status lights and the CLIFS 7 is sent to the ISY. If I toggle it back to Fan Auto (no Fan status for the tstat) the CLIFS 8 is sent and the Fan Auto is now reflected in the Admin Console.

Pretty sure I have a few more. One of my Heat Set Point program changes doesn't work - only one. Setting to SPH 69 doesn't send ANY command to the wireless tstat although all the others work. Later when I change to SPH67 (and only 67) the current valid SPH is sent and a COOLING Set Point is sent to the wired (no commands should be sent to it , especially cooling) and then immediately afterwards the previously SPH 69 is sent to the wireless as it should have been previously a few changes ago. I've tried going up several more degrees and it's not until I get back down to SPH 67 that it's finally sent.

I haven't yet defined any programs to send anything but Heat Set Points and Fan mode. Nothing about cooling has been programmed.

EDIT: Found one problem with my program. The SPCs are still sent but SPH 69 works now. Problems with Fan mode persist.

When something is not sent such as not sending a Set Point it may be the ISY thinks the thermostat is already set to that value. In general the ISY does not send a value it thinks is already in the device. Try sending a different value and then go back to the value that did not get sent.

When something is not sent such as not sending a Set Point it may be the ISY thinks the thermostat is already set to that value. In general the ISY does not send a value it thinks is already in the device. Try sending a different value and then go back to the value that did not get sent.

No. I've tried all values. Nothing is sent for any of them except for the first send of Fan Mode.

Also, did you note the popup error when trying to set Fan On from the Admin console?

post-6148-14047416269_thumb.png

Oops. Guess that was in response to my second post. Also not the case there. I'm going up from SPH 68 to SPH 69. SPH 68 reflected in my variables and on the tstat. When I advance one more up to SPH 69 nothing is sent. When I descend back down to SPH 67 it's finally sent along with some SPCs to the wired tstat (no program entries anywhere for SPC commands).

Is the 2441ZTH linked to a 2441TH with the 2441ZTH set as the Master?

No. They never have been. Neither shows Master status. Both were added to ISY removing existing links. Neither is linked as a controller or responder to anything. I've also tried a restore on the ZTH.

The interesting thing is that no commands are sent from the ISY so it seems to focus the problem there vs on the devices.

shannong,

It's always best to send the output of the event viewer on Level 3. For one thing, most thermostats have an offset between heat/cool setpoint which must never be below 2 (some accept 1).

As far as Fan Mode, it's been such a long time ... I will have to go back to the documentation. I remember the older TH models (not ZTH) didn't allow the fan mode to be set but that was a very long time ago.

With kind regards,

Michel

shannong,

It's always best to send the output of the event viewer on Level 3. For one thing, most thermostats have an offset between heat/cool setpoint which must never be below 2 (some accept 1).

As far as Fan Mode, it's been such a long time ... I will have to go back to the documentation. I remember the older TH models (not ZTH) didn't allow the fan mode to be set but that was a very long time ago.

With kind regards,

Michel

L3 for the Event Viewer. Got it.

In the case of the Fan issue for the ZTH, there's nothing to show in the Event Viewer since it isn't sending anything to the tstat when I run the various Fan commands via a Run (Then) with the exception of the first run of the Fan Mode command. I can send all the Fan commands fine to the TH. Both are version v.0D according to ISY and produced in mid-2013.

For the ZTH and TH set point offsets, there is no restriction. It's hard to imagine any tstat being only 1 point of differential otherwise your HVAC would be constantly bouncing on/off between the two. By default, 2441's have Heat set to 60F and Cool to 80F which is a 20 point offset. I've verified both can be set to any value and put into Mode Auto. It seems the ISY is deciding to maintain a 4 degree offset between them and changing both Set Points to maintain a degree spread, which is unexpected and undesirable behavior. I don't want the ISY changing my Set Point Cool unless I tell it.

Another issue with the ZTH is the current temp. It only sends CHANGES once a minute. No change means no update. I have ISY open and it's reporting the last announced temp. Fine. I close ISY Admin Console and re-open it and now the current temp is blank. Why does it not remember what it just knew a few seconds ago? And because of the other post I have you replied to you also know that I can't query the current temp. This issue is unique to the ZTH.

I just added the ZTH to HouseLinc for testing. There are no soft buttons in HL to set the Fan mode for the ZTH. A physical button on the stat but no command. I guess they assumed anyone using it would link them together and use Master mode passing between the two rather than control the pair with a controller.

So it seems the ZTH doesn't support Fan stuff. Ok. It would be preferred if ISY didn't provide me with options that aren't valid and that generate errors or silent actions.

Archived