Garage Door Setup- How to turn on/off Keypadlinc light?

66splitbus

Hi,

I've read a bunch of different posts but cant seem to find the one that answers my hopefully ez question. Im a day 2 noob to ISY so hopefully I can explain this properly.

I have the garage door relay and sensor installed. I also have the 6 button KLP. Id like to push button A and have it open and close my garage door and also display the status of the garage door sensor.

I have created a scene with the Keypad-A button as controller (RED) and the Garage Door Relay as receiver (BLUE). I can now open and close my garage door.

I thought I would then make a program that checks the status for the Garage Door Sensor and sets the LED for the same Keypad-A button that I used to open the door.

Is that the correct idea? When I tried to set the condition of the keypad I got a bunch of options "ON # / OFF# and (Backlight Level)" Im not quite sure what to set this too.

Thanks for any help!

KeypadLinc Secondary buttons cannot be turned On/Off with Direct commands. A Direct command has no means of identifying which Secondary button. Define an ISY Scene with the KeypadLinc button as a Responder. Turn the Scene On and Off to affect the Secondary KeypadLinc button LED.

Hey thanks, that did the trick! The only bummer is if you happen to press the KPL to open/close the door midway during an open it doesnt report the status of the sensor properly on the KPL. Not a huge deal, I saw a link for a much more complex setup that fixed this problem I think but for my purposes I think Im good!

KeypadLinc Secondary buttons cannot be turned On/Off with Direct commands. A Direct command has no means of identifying which Secondary button. Define an ISY Scene with the KeypadLinc button as a Responder. Turn the Scene On and Off to affect the Secondary KeypadLinc button LED.

Not having one of these devices yet, I am wondering what the problem with controlling the KPL LEDs in ISY is.

If I read your comment correctly, scenes can control the KPL LEDs but not direct ISY programme control? Can you elaborate on why this would be, please? BTW:I don't use scenes yet but they are my agenda to explore. With no human controllers yet, they may not be of much value.

Thanks.

Insteon Direct commands cannot turn On/Off Secondary KeypadLinc buttons. Does not matter if the Direct commands are issued from an ISY Program or an application like the Admin Console or MobiLinc. The structure of an Insteon Direct command does not have a field that can specify the Group number of a Secondary KeypadLinc button.

A Scene Responder link for a KeypadLinc button identifies the Group number of the button the link is associated with.

Can you elaborate on why this would be, please?

I have always assumed that this is because of the design of the KPL button. In a world without the ISY and similar type controllers, the only purpose of a secondary button is to be in a scene, since they have no direct control of any load.

BTW:I don't use scenes yet but they are my agenda to explore. With no human controllers yet, they may not be of much value.

Interesting. I find scenes one of the more powerful features of insteon.

Insteon Direct commands cannot turn On/Off Secondary KeypadLinc buttons. Does not matter if the Direct commands are issued from an ISY Program or an application like the Admin Console or MobiLinc. The structure of an Insteon Direct command does not have a field that can specify the Group number of a Secondary KeypadLinc button.

A Scene Responder link for a KeypadLinc button identifies the Group number of the button the link is associated with.

Thanks LeeG.

Further, I understand that Scenes in the ISY can control these LEDs. Is this due to an lacking feature in the ISY capability growth or something that cannot ever be resolved with the way the KPLs work, or is my understanding not correct?

Hey thanks, that did the trick! The only bummer is if you happen to press the KPL to open/close the door midway during an open it doesnt report the status of the sensor properly on the KPL. Not a huge deal, I saw a link for a much more complex setup that fixed this problem I think but for my purposes I think Im good!

66splitbus,

I am fairly new to the ISY, but I have had an io linc for my shades for a few years and one for a garage door (sensor only, not control)

I think you could make two simple programs. You have the scene that you added the KPL A button to as a responder, "KPL A button".

1st Program:

If

Control KPL A is switched on

Or Control KPL A is switched off

Then

Turn Scene KPL A button off.

Wait a set amount of time to allow the door to open or close, maybe 10 seconds

Run If of program "garage door status"

2nd Program:

If

Garage door sensor is on (door open) Note: reverse this if the sensor is on when the door is closed.

Then

Set scene "KPL A button" On

Else

Set scene "KPL A button" Off

When the door opens the KPL will be turned off, second program will run to turn the KPL back on. This will not work if you open or close the door from an app or ISY control panel. For that to work you would need to use Status in the first two programs. However, the then or else in program 2 would trigger the first program again.

Eric

larryllix

It is the design of Insteon. There never has been a field in the Direct message that could be used to contain the button Group number. No spare unused fields. The insteondetails.pdf document on insteon.com has the various Insteon messages.

This is an factor in applications only as devices other than the PLM always control other devices with Scenes.

Archived