insteon 2441TH programming for winter and summer

62vetteefp

Want to make sure I am doing this right. Currently I have programs for the heating season. In order to prepare for the changeover to summer I needed to add a statement so that when I put the thermostats in cool mode they use a different program.

Is this line how I should handle it? And then have another set of programs that work IF status is Cool Ct' is on?

Or am I going all the wrong way? I will have a total of 4 thermostats.

Folder Conditions for 'Up Stairs Programs '

Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run.

If

Status 'Up stair Thermostat - Heat Ct' is On

Then

Allow the programs in this folder to run.

The Heat Ctl node turns On when the thermostat is calling for Heat. That is, the current temperature is below the Heat Set Point and the thermostat is in a mode where heat can be requested. There is also a Cool Ctl node that turns On when the current temperature is above the Cool Set Point and the thermostat is calling for AC.

Just as a KeypadLinc has a single Insteon address but multiple nodes, one for each button the hardware supports, the thermostat hardware has a "button" for when the thermostat is calling for heat and a "button" for when it is calling for AC. That is the design point of the thermostat hardware. I would not suggest deleting the nodes (Heat Ctl and Cool Ctl). I don't know what would happen when the thermostat signals it is calling for Heat or calling for Cool and the expected node to indicate that has been deleted. Actually don't know if they can be deleted. It would be removing some of the function provided by the thermostat.

As far as its function, the node can be a Controller in a Scene where a light turns On, vents could be opened, when the furnace is producing heat or AC. A Program can be triggered when Heat/Cool is called for to do whatever is needed/desired.

But why does it show up in the ISY tree? What can it be used for?

It gives the system the ability to know that the furnace or AC is running (or at least should be) and do something based on that knowledge.

I use the HeatCtl node in a routine that tracks my furnace runtime for daily/monthly reporting. If you happen to have door and/or window sensors, you could fire off a notification if your furnace is calling for heat and a door(s) or window(s) are open. Maybe turn on/off fans to help distribute the heat/cool.

-Xathros

Archived