Dynamic DNS services

Balok

Has anyone had a particularly good, or bad, experience? It seems that many people provide this service and it looks like basic capability is around $20 - $30 per year. The free services all seem to have various limitations, such as expiring domain names. The router I use supports DynDNS.com, only (i.e. the domain name is selectable from a dropdown and that's the only entry in it). But other services have small programs that can run on a networked computer.

I use dns-o-matic as a meta service, and then push to my custom zone hosted at dns.he.net. Has worked flawlessly for the last year or so.

My 'router' (actually an Alix box) is running pfsense, it natively supports just about anything. However, I know many routers are starting to support dns-o-matic and others.

I use no-IP.com for DYDNS and DNS service. Can't complain. It's free unless you want to register your own domain name. Currently my domain is registered with register.com which I will convert to no-IP during my next renewal. I would have used register.com except they don't offer DYDNS service.

I saw that the domain names expire every month if you pick the free option. That's better than the four day or so leases my IP seems willing to grant, but only by degree... It sounds like you use a paid version of the service. Do you leave a computer on always to handle the updates? Or did you dedicate a low power computer to that task?

I use no-IP.com for DYDNS and DNS service. Can't complain. It's free unless you want to register your own domain name. Currently my domain is registered with register.com which I will convert to no-IP during my next renewal. I would have used register.com except they don't offer DYDNS service.

I've been using No-Ip with my own domain name for just over 1 year.... no complaints to date :-)

IIRC it's $25/yr... (less than 1 coffee/month)

My router has a DYDNS client built in. Most routers do.

Yeah, mine seems to but it looks like it is only a client for DynDNS.com (that specific service). It's not the newest router and it may not have the newest firmware; I have a support ticket open asking some questions.

Archived