Any update on UPB or Z-Wave support?

siegeld

I removed all of my X10/Insteon equipment about a year ago due to PLC noise (and sadly my ISY-99i as well)... however I installed all zwave equipment and I have never been happier with how the devices communicate... I never have any lost commands or errors. Zwave really is a more reliable technology. But I still miss my ISY-99. Hence my 99z question...

I understand completely.

I know a few early Insteon supporters that went to ZWave or UPB and never looked back. I almost jumped ship a few time myself.

ZWave is open to many vendors and not locked into the whims of Smartlabs. As the list of Insteon Developers, we where given in the early days, seems to have mostly vaporized.

My problem with Z-Wave is that it doesn't matter how reliable it is if it can't do what I need. Back when I looked at it, it was very confusing - some brands reported local control and others did not. Some supported certain device definitions like locks or thermostats while others did not.

Since 90% of my automation setup involves some action being triggered by the activation of a light switch or controller button, (ie Insteon devices are the triggers more often then the action... a good percentage of my insteon switches do not have any local load connected to them) I didn't see how Z-Wave fit the bill. The need to control the lights FROM other devices outside of the ISY just doesn't come up that often (although voice cammand through Homeseer works surprisingly well)

Maybe Z-Wave has moved closer to the Insteon model of any button or switch can control any device? If they have improved the reporting of local control then I might give it another look.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived