unrecognised Smarthome 2635-222 ApplianceLinc

iglon

Age should make no difference. The ISY is asking what Insteon Engine the device supports. This command has been in every device I have worked with. At this point the ISY has not asked for the device type. Try factory reset of ApplianceLinc and make sure the Insteon address is correct.

finally!

I got it to work.

I received a new type of on/off module (2635-222 dual band) and added it it without a problem,

Then I decided to move my older (troubled) modules to same area, same physical outlet, which happens to be on upper floor and quite away from PLM that is in my garage, next to ISY.

so, after fiddling with linking process a few times I was able to add those modules to my setup and they seem to work just fine, no issues, no errors. tonight I will try to move those 2 older modules to my garage, next to PLM and to my living room see if they still work. This got me now puzzled :-/

thanks everyone for trying to help me and giving me pointers.

BTW, one of the older modules had information about insteon hub that it was previously connected to (I have all of the MAC addresses of my insteon devices documented so I know it was an insteon hub)

apparently, this caused the conflict with my dual band dimmer that was at one time connected to same hub.

It took me awhile to fix this (restored the ISY config and cleaned up devices) but all seem to be good now.

I probably need to make sure that all of my insteon devices are "clean" of information that pertains to old smartlinc controller and insteon hub that they were communicating with at one time. So, what is the best way to go about it, just to make sure that all of my insteon devices have no information on other controllers but ISY?

Factory Reset. Especially any module you had in a different setup. Like a HUB.

Some of us do a factory reset on all new modules also. Seems some new modules get out of the factory with test links in them.

ok, this is easy enough to do on all devices that I have but one.

how can I factory reset the device if I do not have easy physical access to it?

say, this device is in attic and I really do not want to bring the ladder and crawl up there so that I can hit the reset button for 5 seconds.

(I presume that is the only way to factory reset the device)

is there a way that I can tell if this hard to reach device has any links to old devices?

In the diagnostics tests.

Show Device Links table for the module you want to look at.

Then when the test is done. Use the compare choice and see if the ISY known links matches the ones in the module.

You may see a Identical/Ignore on the last link line. That is the first unused link in the modules database.

I would have though the remove existing links when the module was added to the ISY setup should remove the possible old links from a module. If a Factory Reset is not easy to do. Though it would not remove any X10 addresses from factory tests.

I have not see a Insteon command to remotely Factory Reset a module.

In the diagnostics tests.

Show Device Links table for the module you want to look at.

Then when the test is done. Use the compare choice and see if the ISY known links matches the ones in the module.

You may see a Identical/Ignore on the last link line. That is the first unused link in the modules database.

I would have though the remove existing links when the module was added to the ISY setup should remove the possible old links from a module. If a Factory Reset is not easy to do. Though it would not remove any X10 addresses from factory tests.

I have not see a Insteon command to remotely Factory Reset a module.

Ok, I have done that

can you please elaborate how to decipher this:

rejtjfz67

http://s27.postimg.org/iwadf3snn/ufo_light.png

ufo_light.jpg

(sorry, do not know how to embed the image on this forum)

The PLM this device is aware of is 2A.1F.B3 Insteon address. If this is the current PLM the device link table is okay.

yes, that is PLM.

so, how would it display if there was the error?

please take a look at my devices (tools --> diagnostics --> show PLM links table) and tell me if you see any errors (some devices have multiple IDs) . Is that normal? I know that thermostat shows 3 links but I am not sure if the rest of devices need to show that?

isy_devices.jpg

what are those numbers before and after hardware addresses (in yellow highlight)?

The number and type of link record varies by device type.

A2 EF 1E.0C.0D 05 0B 0B

A2 = this is a Responder link record; E2 is a Controller link record

EF = Group/Scene number defined by the Controller specs

1E.0C.0D = Insteon address of the Controller that would use this Responder link record

The next three bytes have no functional capability when PLM link record

05 0B = cat/subcat of the device (device type)

0B = firmware of Controller

E2 00 20.B9.9D 02 09 42

E2 = Controller link record

00 = Group/Scene number controlled by this link record

20.B9.9D = Insteon address of device being controlled by this Controller link

02 09 = cat/subcat of the device (device type)

42 = firmware of Responder

The number and type of link record varies by device type.

A2 EF 1E.0C.0D 05 0B 0B

A2 = this is a Responder link record; E2 is a Controller link record

EF = Group/Scene number defined by the Controller specs

1E.0C.0D = Insteon address of the Controller that would use this Responder link record

05 0B = cat/subcat of the device (device type)

0B = firmware of Controller

E2 00 20.B9.9D 02 09 42

E2 = Controller link record

00 = Group/Scene number controlled by this link record

20.B9.9D = Insteon address of device being controlled by this Controller link

02 09 = cat/subcat of the device (device type)

42 = firmware of Responder

thanks for providing in-depth explanation, I have lot better understanding how can you troubleshot the problems .

is ISY considered the controller and device that receive command are considered to be responders?

What is PLM considered to be - both?

how come one of my 2456s3 appliance switches has only controller link record, no responder link record?

The ISY/PLM functions as both a Controller, turning On and Off devices, as well as a Responder when a device signals a local state change for example. I am guessing the older firmware ApplianceLinc was treated differently. None of the old ApplianceLincs had Controller capability (ability to turn another device on/off) so the Responder (A2) link in the PLM serves no purpose.

The link record has more capability than is used in a PLM. There is an insteondetails.pdf document on insteon.com that may provide more information. It was updated a few months ago and I have not looked at the new version. Folks have said it contains the old information and some new information as well.

Archived