Timer idea

bmiller

I have a GFI in a bathroom that is used constantly for a curling iron and other various hair stuff. It is always a question as to whether it was unplugged when the house was vacated.

I am looking for some way to put a timer on it whenever something is plugged into this particular outlet, to prevent the house burning down. Is there anything insteon that can have

a timer started whenever something is plugged in to the outlet? Is the synchro linc power sensing module 2432A5 capable of this?

Thanks

Brad

The SynchroLinc could detect the presence of an on appliance consuming power and thus "know" it's on. You would need to plug a SynchroLinc into a OutletLinc or On/Off Module. You could then easily create a timer to shut the OutletLinc off after something is turned on. You'll end up a big wall wart for the setup, though. Another draw back will be that ISY will complain about the SynchroLinc being non-responsive when the OutletLinc is off. I'd love to see a combined SynchroLinc and OutletLinc in one but there isn't one currently. You'll also probably need to create a program to query the SynchroLinc when turning the OutletLinc back on so the ISY would know it has returned. Alternatively, you could rig an IoLinc connected to relay that would sit in line between the SynchroLinc and a plug for the appliances to disrupt the power without turning off or using an OutletLinc. It's a very messy setup.

I'd suggest creating an "away" scene for you house and link it to a KPL button. Use it to turn off all unwanted lights, plugs, etc when leaving including that plug. That would alleviate the need for the SynchroLinc. Upon returning, you would turn off the KPL and thus the away scene. You could then also do things like turn on a light(s) when you return if the time is past Sunset, for example.

Archived