About to go crazy!

nytetyme1976

I know, I know it's something I'm sure that I'm doing wrong as I am fairly new to ISY. I've had a 99i for several years and never really used it for much but I recently upgraded to 994zs and have gone crazy upgrading the entire house.

I have literally changed out every switch in my home with Insteon dimmer or non dimming switches. Both my pool pumps (filter and pool cleaner) run off of 30A 220v Insteon controllers and the entire system with BASIC rules works flawlessly!!!

However, I have recently added motion sensors to this setup and all heck has broken lose! I have 5 and can't for the life of me get them to work as I want them to work. To give one example i want the front porch which has two lights on it controlled by a Insteon hardwired dimmer switch ONLY after 10PM and before sunrise to come on to full brightness when motion is detected. Along with it my office bookcase lights, hallway wall light, fireplace light, and two lamps to come on at the same time... stay on for a RANDOM period of time and then turn back off giving the effect that someone is awake inside the home.

The good news is this works... well some of the time but most of the time the lights do come on but never ever ever ever go off (but once in a while they do). What am I doing wrong? My wife is about to kill me :(

Below is a copy paste of just this one example

If

Status 'Front Porch Motion-Sensor' is On

And From 10:00:01PM

To Sunrise (next day)

Then

Set 'Front Porch Lights' Fast On

Set 'Hallway Wall Light' Fast On

Set 'Office Bookcase Lights' Fast On

Set 'Fireplace Spotlight' On

Send X10 'A1/On (3)'

Send X10 'A2/On (3)'

Send Notification to 'Default' content 'Front Porch Motion Activated'

Wait 3 minutes and 10 seconds (Random)

Set 'Front Porch Lights' 35%

Set 'Hallway Wall Light' 5%

Set 'Office Bookcase Lights' Off

Set 'Fireplace Spotlight' Off

Send X10 'A1/Off (11)'

Send X10 'A2/Off (11)'

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The others act the same way but are with different lights such as back porch and master bedroom back porch. I will post those below.

Back Porch Below

If

Status 'Back Porth Motion-Sensor' is On

And From 10:00:01PM

To Sunrise (next day)

Then

Set 'Back Porch Primary' Fast On

Set 'Kitchen Sink Light' Fast On

Set 'Dining Room Table' Fast On

Set 'Pool House Floodlights' Fast On

Set 'Deck Floodlights' Fast On

Send Notification to 'Default' content 'Back Porch Motion Activated'

Wait 3 minutes (Random)

Set 'Back Porch Primary' 35%

Set 'Kitchen Sink Light' 30%

Set 'Dining Room Table' Off

Set 'Pool House Floodlights' Off

Set 'Deck Floodlights' Off

Else

Master Bedroom Back Porch Below

If

From 10:00:01PM

To Sunrise (next day)

And Status 'Mstr BR Back Porch Motion-Sen' is On

Then

Set 'Mstr Br Back Porch' Fast On

Set 'Deck Floodlights' Fast On

Set 'Pool House Floodlights' Fast On

Wait 1 minute and 10 seconds (Random)

Set 'Mstr Br Back Porch' 35%

Set 'Pool Party Lights' Off

Set 'Deck Floodlights' Off

Set 'Pool House Floodlights' Off

Else

The others are bathroom motion sensors that I am having problems with. I will post them later after you all chime in on this problem because the bathrooms is a whole other can of worms.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I dont' have any Insteon motion detectors, but I believe your problem is that you are using "status" rather than "control". The motion detector is probably timing out and sending an "off" command prior to the 3 minute wait, which is terminating your program "wait" and re-evaling to false and running the "else" clause . . .which is blank and does nothing.

I do believe that you just nailed it! I have made the change from status to control and all appears to be working perfectly now! YES! I'd give you a big hug if I could! Thanks a million!

Robert

Perhaps, more importantly, do you know WHY this solved your problem? Understanding the difference between control and status is a key concept.

I do understand it now that it has been explained and pointed out. I'm a 16 year I/T (network,server) vet that is new to Insteon and ISY but am quickly learning new stuff each and every day.

Clearly I have a lot more to learn but I'll get there and in the meantime thank you all so much for your help.

Archived