PLM Erased itself

So I know this has happened to a number of people. Last night, programs stopped running from Insteon device triggers. I discovered that the PLM links table was blank. We have had no power outages, bad weather of any type, nor have I added or made any changes to any links in quite some time (at least a few weeks). It just up and erased itself at about 10pm. It is a 2 year and 3 month old 2413s (3 months out of warranty). I restored the PLM and things are back to normal.

So what is the consensus on this? Is the PLM going bad or is this a random event that has no real meaning? Or is there a logical explanation aside from PLM going bad? Or do we just not know?

• 2 weeks later...

So the PLM is now dead. I won't power on at all. This seems to be par for the course. I read the reviews and there a lot of people who had a dead PLM slightly after the 2 year warranty. And the PLM's are back-ordered no less so I have a dead system.

I opened the PLM and can find nothing obviously burned. If I were to guess, I would say it has something to do with the voltage/power regulation. When I went to check on the device after it stopped comm, I found the green led to be on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in while holding the reset button. No light was on, then the led lit red after about 5 or 10 seconds. As the led came to life, it made a buzzing sound then stopped. Then I unplugged it again and plugged it back in and it did nothing.

Hello apostolakisl,

Sorry about your PLM issues.

Have you considered the Smartenit option:

EZICOMM - RS232 INSTEON PLM - Model #5010K

Given that Smarthome seems to have a stocking issue?

As far as I know the 2413U is the same as the 2413S except for the daughter board. Seems a shame that Smarthome would be lacking the 2413S for so long yet have the 2413U in stock.

In a pinch, I believe a person could consider transferring a known good RS-232 daughter board into 2413U. ( warranty aside).

Hello apostolakisl,

Sorry about your PLM issues.

Have you considered the Smartenit option:

EZICOMM - RS232 INSTEON PLM - Model #5010K

Given that Smarthome seems to have a stocking issue?

As far as I know the 2413U is the same as the 2413S except for the daughter board. Seems a shame that Smarthome would be lacking the 2413S for so long yet have the 2413U in stock.

In a pinch, I believe a person could consider transferring a known good RS-232 daughter board into 2413U. ( warranty aside).

Curious, a third party PLM. It is slightly cheaper but only has a 1 year warranty. Is this just a re-branded device or is it actually manufactured elsewhere? It sure looks like the same injection mold for the case which would lead me to believe it is coming out of the same factory.

SH claims they will be shipping 2413s on Friday. I'll hang on until then, but if it gets pushed back I may switch to this other company.

I don't have a 2413u, but I wouldn't be surprised if my RS232 board works fine and could just be plugged into a 2413u mother board.

All PLMs come from SmartLabs. All the Smartenit Insteon devices are built on top of SmartLabs PLM shell except EZIO8SA which plugs into a SmartLabs PLM. No third party is authorized to produce an Insteon device from scratch. In other words only SmartLabs devices can speak Insteon.

ELA; My personal theory on the 2413S.

I feel they are getting them but using them for filling back orders on the books and don't have any extra for today shipping needs.

Just checked. Date slipped again to 04/04/2014.

ELA; My personal theory on the 2413S.

I feel they are getting them but using them for filling back orders on the books and don't have any extra for today shipping needs.

Just checked. Date slipped again to 04/04/2014.

No doubt these back orders are a direct result of failing units. PLM's should otherwise be a low volume item.

I haven't taken the motherboard out of my PLM. Probably it is a double layer pcb and thus there could be an obviously fried part on the back side that I haven't seen. I'll take it the rest of the way apart tonight.

I have not taken mine out of the case yet.

There are photos of the earlier PCB units in the FCC Database.

The small LNK354GN power supply IC is on the back. Looks like almost directly on the back where the small power transformer is mounted on the front.

If you have an early PCB you would also have seen a few capacitors and a coil sticking out of the front of the board. Tacked across a capacitor with a fly wire to the back side.

The later PCB has the added parts mounted directly on the PCB in through holes.

Took the whole board out and closely examined both sides. I don't see anything that is burned. The chip you mentioned would be easy to replace if you think that is it, but I am not certain how to test it. About the best I can do is put a multimeter to various locations if someone knew what the readings are supposed to be.

I also found the 2413s at Amazon in stock. It will be here on Friday as opposed to supposedly arriving at SH on Friday.

Every time I read threads like these I don't get a warm fuzzy. The only thing that keeps me up at night is knowing there is literally only one vendor who makes Insteon! :roll: I truly wish more of the third party vendors like Cooper, Leviton, P&S, would have been able to produce Insteon devices. :cry:

That boat sailed away quite a few years ago though. :|

Teken . . .

All PLMs come from SmartLabs. All the Smartenit Insteon devices are built on top of SmartLabs PLM shell except EZIO8SA which plugs into a SmartLabs PLM. No third party is authorized to produce an Insteon device from scratch. In other words only SmartLabs devices can speak Insteon.

That's a darn shame. I have also replaced a PLM at some point and would pay what is it worth to have a better quality (Insert Insteon Module Here) made by a company that get's it, UDI or some other.

The PLM is the heart of any system and to have the amount of posts that have been here and on other forums with legitimate PLM issues, failures, and randomly turn on EVERY device is completely unacceptable.

It's a good thing ISY is now Z-Wave capable. This gives users the option to get away from the problems that keep plaguing Smarthomes devices and still keep the capabilities of the ISY. Options are a good thing. UDI, excellent business move :lol:

Michel; Yes I had signed up for an email notification and was notified in todays messages.

Web site also shows them in stock.

Unfortunately I have lost much faith and trust in Insteon products and for now am going to use my old 2413S V1.0 fw 92 until it dies. At that time I will decide if I am going to abandon Insteon and move on.

Archived