PLM Cable Length

nytetyme1976

OK, so I want my 994 to be near the TV so I can use the IR features but the only outlet nearby has two battery backups on it with tons of noise. If I had a great quality Cat-6 cable what is the MAX length I can run it to my PLM? Ideally it would be 50' or so for me to go back to my breaker panel outlet. Thoughts?

nytetyme1976,

A 50' should be able to work for the PLM cable. This only comes from some applications where I have installed it on a 50" cable for trade shows. The spec on it is a little different. It is suggested a 10' max and 6' is recommend for the product.

Isn't the data RS-232 for comms to the PLM?

If it is you could try using converters at each end if the long cable doesn't work. If you convert the data to RS422 4 wire you will get better reliability with RS422 as it is a balanced communication with has noise rejection properties when using twisted pair cabling. I can elaborate if you like.

This is all in theory, of course, I haven't tested it personally.

I believe that you are correct it is labeled RS-232 but it still uses a plain old Cat-5e cable to transmit that signal over.

Anyway thanks for the help, I did extend the cable and now things are working PERFECTLY!

Robert

Got it. I was only mentioning it because RS485/422 can go 4000' if you need it :D

Or you could plug your PLM into the battery backup since it is dual-band. I run my PLM on a UPS and rely solely on its dual-band capabilities (an access point or another dual-band device close by) for communications. Only drawback I know of is you loose X-10 communications if you still use those devices since the X-10 signals only ride on house wiring. Not sure if there are other issues with systems such as ELK since I do not have one.

~Mike

Archived