ISY support for Insteon Hub

larryllix

This specific device appears to support those regions that have power that range from 110 - 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz. If your region is 220/240 it would not work out of the box.

I believe you will need to wait it out until such time as Smarthome allows UDI to purchase these Insteon chips. I am at a loss as to why selling these chips are such a hassle?!?!?

Its not like they need to do anything else besides sell that component to them because UDI has completed their part already?

Perhaps 2016 will see some movement in this area . . .

You are talking about a serial interface for an ISY994i series controller?

There is a European HUB that can control Insteon devices but will not interface with an ISY994I series controller. I don't believe it has as many features as the ISY994i controllers.

The modified HUB was not sold as a standard unit. So it will not be on the sales pages of Smarthome.

I understand a few where done to remove the network interface, add the serial daughter board from a PLM and probably reflash the firmware for use as a PLM/HUB.

Since Smartlabs & Smarthome rarely give us upcoming products lists. We would not know if one is being developed now. 

The UDI PLM is still in limbo. Waiting  for Smartlabs to provide the PLM and RF Insteon ICs needed to manufacturer them.

• 3 months later...

Locally where? Insteon devices are still available locally in places I've been to including Home Depot and on-line at Amazon.

Not sure what places kurelgyer meant. But I do know this. Things don't look very promising for Insteon users in Europe.

The Insteon Hub+ (2242-422EU) is still the only hub Europeans can buy. All the new goodies (like the api) are not for us.

Insteon also refuses to tell if there will ever be a successor to this hub in Europe.

insteon_hub.jpg

In case you did not see my thread its apparent something is happening in the back ground: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17006-new-insteon-products/

Read carefully about the three PLM's . . .

I am sure UDI is restricted in replying to the forum members about these details given the ever present NDA. But for the life of me I can't understand how it could hurt anyone by selling the required components to UDI?!?!?

Its always going to be money in - money out - and ultimately Smartlabs will get their cut. Based on a few discussions on the Interwebs 2016 will show us what is going to happen.

As there is supposedly a big push going on in the back ground . . .  

If SH gets their way with Apple and their cloud based logical processing HA why would they want UDI, their direct competition, around?  Just discontinue the PLM production and UDI's Insteon days are over.

If the SH/Apple partnership doesn't work out SH has the ISY on a leash and just has to suddenly get frendly.

In Canada there is very few local stores selling Insteon.

-The Source (Bell Canada's store) very seldomly sells older Insteon device models at inflated prices.

-Insteon has disappeared off the shelves at Best Buy and made room for about 10-15 other brands of HA devices. Any devices I purchased, in store, was obsolete models and priced higher than elsewhere in the Best Buy style.

Arlo was one HA brand that appeared. Even my NetGear router has created another dedicated SSID for it, in the last firmware upgrade, with the switch to enable, secretly defaulting to enable. Cheap advertising to the whole neighbourhood.

-Amazon.ca sells some Insteon at ridiculous prices

http://www.amazon.ca/Insteon-2852-222-Water-Leak-Sensor/dp/B009WXZ0O2/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1453868278&sr=8-29&keywords=Insteon

-Amazon.com will not sell to Canada, if product available through their .ca website.

-Home Depot dumped all their Insteon devices several years ago.

-aartech.ca is still the best Insteon outlet but has branched out into many of the other brands.

Yup the Motorola 68000 CPU ran circles around any Intel CPU but it is now a ghost also.

• 4 months later...

Hi mrburdin,

For sure!

Also, you might want to contact Steve in our tech support (links below). I know he was able to modify a HUB to act as a serial PLM.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michael thanks.  I live in China and have been having trouble finding an interface for any of HomeSeer / ISY / OpenHab / with the power line to control the Insteon devices I am planning to purchase for a project.  If it's not because of the fact that we have 220V here as opposed to 110V in the US, it's because we have 50Hz instead of 60Hz in the States.

The Hub does support 230V 50/60Hz and if we can modify it to get its internal serial PLM to interface with ISY we have a plan.  The question is are there any limitations in terms of what I can do with this approach?  Can I expect to get 100% true 2413S PLM like functionality by modifying the Hub and will be able to control the 6 or 8 keys keypads, on / off switches, micro switches / dimmers, 0-10V dimmers, etc?

Will drop a mail to your support address to inquire on the details to get the Hub modified.

Thanks.  This looks really promising.

A few FYI.

1) http://www.vikingcomms.com.au/ doesn't load here.  Even when I managed to connect via a device to route through HK I was given a message that the store isn't available in my region.

2) The registration on this forum require the use of reCaptcha which runs off Google and doesn't work also in mainland China.

Only the older 2242 HUB has been modified. As far as I have seen. As the network Daughter board has to be changed to the Serial Daughter board used in a serial PLM.

The 2245 HUB is all on one PCB.

The 2443 HUB Pro has the same FCC ID as the older 2442 HUB. Though I have no added information on it.

It would need the correct Insteon RF frequency parts to match the regions allowed frequency.

It may also need the main boards Firmware flashed to to the PLM firmware from the HUB firmware.

Smartlabs will not allow anyone access to their firmware.

Even the empty promised Firmware for the UDI PLM. That seems to be dead for now. While waiting for the elusive promised Firmware.

Archived