Why buy ELK (or other security system)? Can't ISY do it all

ccclapp

Unfortunately my home is not fully pre-wired for an alarm system. .

For what it is worth, I just retrofit wired 25 windows and doors in a 15 year old house in 2 days with another guy using 3' and 6' x 1/4" electrician drill bits and a "Glowfish Tool Box Kit" expandable fiberglass pulling kit. Cost: tools $50; 1500' 22 AWG 4 conductor wire (only 2 conductor needed for contacts, but extras never hurt) $125; magnetic 3/8" diameter wired window contacts $2 each. On 1st floor windows drilled 1/4" hole bottom of window (where lower sash closes onto the sill) hole goes down to basement. On 2nd floor I did the reverse drilling from the top of the window up into the attic (I will then conceal the wire in weight well / sash spring groove. Stick Glowfish rod into hole, attach wire from basement, pull into window, connect contact.

Wireless contacts are $30-$75 each, and not as much fun to do :wink:

I am not a contractor, and am only slightly "handy"

You might reconsider.

PS: Now I have to figure out how to install the ELK M1 :-)

I would call myself even less than "slightly handy"... But maybe there is hope...

Thanks for your info.

Wireless sensors are a lot more fun to install than wired. Only takes 5 min to install. Just unfortunately more expensive and inherently less reliable than a hard wire. I would've preferred everything wired, but I couldn't feasibly wire all my windows and run wires everywhere I needed a smoke.

The M1 can have several wireless transceivers attached and of mixed type. The number varies depending on the make and model.

The Elk Two-way transceiver provides signal acknowledgment, which I like. However, it is not specifically a supervisory function. The Elk, Honeywell, and GE sensors all send a daily heartbeat signal so the system knows if they're still there and working. Two-way communication isn't required for that, although signal acknowledgement is a desirable function. They all also have a low battery notification.

On mine I have the Elk Two-way AND the Honeywell. I started with the Elk transceiver just because it was Elk and really didn't know much. I did like the concept of the two-way communications for signal verification. However, once I started installing I discovered how limited the Elk options are for wireless. Namely, the wireless CO detectors were the first culprits. Then I wanted a contact wireless sensor for my backyard gate. Then a temp sensor for my freezer. And then.... And then... I was inexperienced and didn't plan enough before buying.

I researched and compared the Honeywell to the GE and discovered the wide variety of sensors available for the Honeywell. GE was limited although better than Elk. The Honeywell also was reported as having stronger and more reliable communications than the GE. I can't actually say if that's true or not since I've never used GE anything.

The Elk has two-way acknowledgement but the signal isn't as powerful as the Honeywell in my experiences. I started with the Elk transceiver on the garage wall and the PIR sensors on the far side of the house could not communicate with it. I had to relocate it to the middle of the house (wasn't easy to get a wire there) and still did not always have reliable communications with one of the far sensors. I installed the Honeywell in the same location near the garage and didn't have reception issues. I'm not saying the Elk is weak or bad. I have an older house with shiplap on the walls and some walls with plaster so it's a challenging environment.

Adding wires for all my windows and smokes wasn't an option. I'm in TX where basements are unheard of and don't even have an attic since it was converted to usable living space. So wireless was a must for me. However, I didn't add sensors to all my windows. I strategically placed a few window break sensors instead. Another option Honeywell has the Elk does not. That combined with internal PIR motion detectors should provide adequate protection vs. wiring every window which for me would be a lot on the first floor.

I really like the micro wireless contact closures that Honeywell has. Very small and able to be completely concealed in a door or window. I even used a few on interior doors. Elk has some small ones also but none that can be completely concealed.

There are cheaper Honeywell wireless contact closures available for less than $20 and I was also able to make wet detectors with them instead of buying the $35 Insteon sensors. They're more reliable in my experience so far. My Elk directly turns off the water to the house on its own when one of them goes off. So I can have water leak protection even when the power is off. You can't do that with ISY. http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13832

Good luck on your install!

Wireless sensors are a lot more fun to install than wired. Only takes 5 min to install. Just unfortunately more expensive and inherently less reliable than a hard wire. I would've preferred everything wired, but I couldn't feasibly wire all my windows and run wires everywhere I needed a smoke.

The M1 can have several wireless transceivers attached and of mixed type. The number varies depending on the make and model.

The Elk Two-way transceiver provides signal acknowledgment, which I like. However, it is not specifically a supervisory function. The Elk, Honeywell, and GE sensors all send a daily heartbeat signal so the system knows if they're still there and working. Two-way communication isn't required for that, although signal acknowledgement is a desirable function. They all also have a low battery notification.

On mine I have the Elk Two-way AND the Honeywell. I started with the Elk transceiver just because it was Elk and really didn't know much. I did like the concept of the two-way communications for signal verification. However, once I started installing I discovered how limited the Elk options are for wireless. Namely, the wireless CO detectors were the first culprits. Then I wanted a contact wireless sensor for my backyard gate. Then a temp sensor for my freezer. And then.... And then... I was inexperienced and didn't plan enough before buying.

I researched and compared the Honeywell to the GE and discovered the wide variety of sensors available for the Honeywell. GE was limited although better than Elk. The Honeywell also was reported as having stronger and more reliable communications than the GE. I can't actually say if that's true or not since I've never used GE anything.

The Elk has two-way acknowledgement but the signal isn't as powerful as the Honeywell in my experiences. I started with the Elk transceiver on the garage wall and the PIR sensors on the far side of the house could not communicate with it. I had to relocate it to the middle of the house (wasn't easy to get a wire there) and still did not always have reliable communications with one of the far sensors. I installed the Honeywell in the same location near the garage and didn't have reception issues. I'm not saying the Elk is weak or bad. I have an older house with shiplap on the walls and some walls with plaster so it's a challenging environment.

Adding wires for all my windows and smokes wasn't an option. I'm in TX where basements are unheard of and don't even have an attic since it was converted to usable living space. So wireless was a must for me. However, I didn't add sensors to all my windows. I strategically placed a few window break sensors instead. Another option Honeywell has the Elk does not. That combined with internal PIR motion detectors should provide adequate protection vs. wiring every window which for me would be a lot on the first floor.

I really like the micro wireless contact closures that Honeywell has. Very small and able to be completely concealed in a door or window. I even used a few on interior doors. Elk has some small ones also but none that can be completely concealed.

There are cheaper Honeywell wireless contact closures available for less than $20 and I was also able to make wet detectors with them instead of buying the $35 Insteon sensors. They're more reliable in my experience so far. My Elk directly turns off the water to the house on its own when one of them goes off. So I can have water leak protection even when the power is off. You can't do that with ISY. http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13832

Good luck on your install!

Thanks for the detailed information. Very much appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Archived