Soaker Hose Set Up

AgentAR9

I have an ISY-994i set up with multiple Insteon devices as well a the Smartenit EZIOS8A input/output controller. I am doing some landscaping and will be using some soaker hose for watering. I normally use one of those battery operated timers that connected to the hose bib in front of the hose to torn the water on and off at scheduled times. I want to set something up using the ISY/Insteon/EZIO devices, but I don't know what type of valve or equipment I need to attach to the hoses. Can someone provide any suggestions?

I used rainbird valves with hose connections on the input and output side. Google "rainbird valve". They run on 24v AC with low current draw. If memory is correct I had 5 or 6 valves feed from the outside water line. Only ran a few valves On at any given time as they were supplying a few sprinkler heads on each line. With soaker hoses several could be turned On at once. Depends on the amount of water available.

Hi johnnyt,

LeeG is 100% correct. Unfortunately you cannot.

With kind regards,

Michel

I think you meant to say :

Hi maddbomber83, LeeG,

johnnyt is 100% correct. Unfortunately you cannot.

It was me that spent two months and countless hours trying to make the EZIO8SA work only to find out scenes don't work and had been the reason for all the grief I was getting. The thread I posted earlier has all the gory details of what can happen if anyone is interested.

FWIW, I ended up shipping the EZIO8SA back and am using this http://digital-loggers.com/din.html (thanks to Xathros for the suggestion). I'm planning to update the other thread with more info once I get my refund from Smartenit (the check's in the mail, apparently - a delay, I'm told, because I was past the 15 day return period. Am waiting to see if they're going to make good on their commitment before posting about my experience)

• 2 months later...

I used rainbird valves with hose connections on the input and output side. Google "rainbird valve". They run on 24v AC with low current draw. If memory is correct I had 5 or 6 valves feed from the outside water line. Only ran a few valves On at any given time as they were supplying a few sprinkler heads on each line. With soaker hoses several could be turned On at once. Depends on the amount of water available.

Thanks LeeG.  I purchased three rainbird valves for the soaker hoses, but I am not sure how to connect them to my EZIO8SA.  They require a 24v power source, but the EZIO power connection is only rated 12v.  How do I connect them in order to be able to control them using the EZIO?  Also,  I will most likely always have there turned on at the same time, so can I connect them in a way that they all connect to one input/output. Thanks.

Each EZIO8SA relay has a max rating of 3 AMPs.   If the three valves together do not exceed 3 AMPs then they can be connected to one relay.   You will need a 24V power supply to drive the valves.  Each EZIO8SA relay has a CM (common), NO and NC connection.  One side of the 24V power supply goes to the CM connection.  The NO goes to one of the valve wires.  The other side of the 24V supply goes to the other valve wire.

The location that carries the valves carries the 24V supply.   Simple plug in transformer. 

• 1 month later...

Is the conclusion of the above that ISY DOES properly control all 8 zones of the EZIO8SA AND can have multiple zones on/off simultaneously, BUT multiple zones CANNOT be included in a single scene?  If so, that does not seem like a significant limitation for irrigation, because one could not use scenes which include the EZIO8SA or have individual scenes for each zone and use programs to address multiple zones.  Am I wrong or missing something here?  

I am inquiring because I am looking for multi zone irrigation controllers with ISY in which multi zones can be controlled simultaneously.. From my reading it seems the EZ-Flora will only allow a single zone at a time, but possibly  the EZIO8SA will allow multiple zones, but not via a single scenes.

Am I correct?

Thanks!!

Hello ccclap,

Yes, correct. You can have multiple outputs on at the same time (outside of a scene) with EZIO. You cannot do that with EZFlora.

With kind regards,

Michel

Given the single zone limitation of the EZFlora, is there some advantage to that device over the EZIO?  If not, why would anyone use it with ISY?

Thanks 

Archived