Repeat 3 Times
  Set Light On
  Wait 1 Sec
  Set Light Off
  Wait 1 Sec

Else

Hope this helps

-Xathros

Is there a way to have the lamp module flash on and off several times in response to a motion sensor instead of just on/off?

Thanks..

Sure. Just turn it on and off several times

If

Control 'motion sensor' is switched ON

Then

Set 'lamp' On

wait 1 second

Set 'lamp' Off

wait 1 second

Set 'lamp' On

wait 1 second

Set 'lamp' Off

wait 1 second

Set 'lamp' On

else

-

Or use a loop.

If

Then

Repeat 4 times

. Set 'lamp' On

. wait 1 second

. Set 'lamp' Off

. wait 1 second

Else

-

Or, especially if you have a few items, Scenes may be faster. They are setup/defined in your devices and multiple devices can be treated like one device.

If

Then

Repeat 4 times

. Set Scene 'lamp_scene' On

. wait 1 second

. Set Scene 'lamp_scene' Off

. wait 1 second

If 
 Control MotionSensor is Switched On

Then
  Repeat 3 Times
  Set Light On
  Wait 1 Sec
  Set Light Off
  Wait 1 Sec

Else

Hope this helps

-Xathros

Thanks, but when I try this apparently the motion sensor is set to turn off automatically after 30 seconds and cant be set to less than that, so when I set the above code it doesn't work, just stays on for 30 seconds then goes off. Also I don't see an option for Control MotionSensor, just for "bedroom Light". Do I have to do something else to identify the motion sensor?

Like should I remove the lamp as a responder from the MotionSensor, then run the program?

espann

The -Sensor node is the node that should be used with If Control 'xxxx' is switched On

The -Sensor node turning Off has no effect on the If Control ..... is switched On

Yes, the LampLinc cannot be a Responder to the Motion Sensor.

post-973-140474164857_thumb.jpg

espann

[attachment=0]MSSensor.JPG[/attachment]

The -Sensor node is the node that should be used with If Control 'xxxx' is switched On

The -Sensor node turning Off has no effect on the If Control ..... is switched On

Yes, the LampLinc cannot be a Responder to the Motion Sensor.

But where do I find the "Sensor node"? The only thing in the dropdown list in "Then" statements that makes any sense is "Insteon". I cant find a "If

Control MotionSensor is Switched On" statement anywhere..

I mean my MotionSensor is not listed as a "control", only my lamps are listed under the control list!

The Motion Sensor Sensor node is used in the If section

If Control 'MS-Sensor' is switched On

Then

do something

Else

But I don't have an "MS-Sensor" option under my If Control. All that's there for me is 'Office lamp' and 'Bedroom Lamp' under If Control..

Has the motion sensor been added to the ISY device list?

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per Xathros, it sounds like you have the motion sensor linked directly to the lamp rather than running through ISY. You need to enroll the motion sensor in ISY just like any other device.

How do I do that? Enroll it? I thought linking it from the "Link a motion sensor" button on Link Management would do that.

Yes. The motion sensor needs to be placed in linking mode via its button per its manual. Then use the link a motion sensor menu in the ISY. 3 nodes should be added to the device tree in the ISY for the sensor as shown in LeeG's post above.

Once the sensor is properly added to the ISY you will be able to select the motion node from the list of devices in the if section.

-Xathros

To further other's advice above...

Remember that in battery operated Insteon devices the ISY cannot talk to them (configure) until they are in linking mode. This is a security and battery saving thing.

Get the manual for each device from the smarthome.com website. The paper that comes with them is almost useless and sometimes doesn't match the device's version and operation style.

Yes. The motion sensor needs to be placed in linking mode via its button per its manual. Then use the link a motion sensor menu in the ISY. 3 nodes should be added to the device tree in the ISY for the sensor as shown in LeeG's post above.

Once the sensor is properly added to the ISY you will be able to select the motion node from the list of devices in the if section.

-Xathros

Thanks! It turns out I wasn't correctly linking the motion sensor. I wasn't putting in the mac address. Now I do see the sensor in the tree, but the program still doesn't flash; the lamp just comes on and stays on, for 30 seconds. I've got a new motion sensor coming tomorrow and I'll try from scratch with that one.

Thanks! It turns out I wasn't correctly linking the motion sensor. I wasn't putting in the mac address. Now I do see the sensor in the tree, but the program still doesn't flash; the lamp just comes on and stays on, for 30 seconds. I've got a new motion sensor coming tomorrow and I'll try from scratch with that one.

You should be able to invoke your program manually by right clicking your mouse on the name in the directory and selecting "Run Then" in the menu. The flashing is done by ISY, not the MS. Your lamp controller may not be linked in properly either.

I have been advised many times, and I will repeat it, to do a factory reset on every device you receive before your do anything else with them. I have found most of these devices act really weird until you factory reset them.

You should be able to invoke your program manually by right clicking your mouse on the name in the directory and selecting "Run Then" in the menu. The flashing is done by ISY, not the MS. Your lamp controller may not be linked in properly either.

I have been advised many times, and I will repeat it, to do a factory reset on every device you receive before your do anything else with them. I have found most of these devices act really weird until you factory reset them.

Ok, right clicking the program and clicking "Run Then" does run that program, but how do I make that program run whe the "If" condition is invoked? Here is the program:

IF

Control '26.5C.2F-Sensor' is switched on

Then

Repeat 3 times

Set 'office lamp' On

Wait 2 seconds

Set 'office lamp' Off

Wait 2 seconds

But when the Sensor detects motion it just comes on and stays on for 30 seconds.

Ok, right clicking the program and clicking "Run Then" does run that program, but how do I make that program run whe the "If" condition is invoked? Here is the program:

IF

Then

Repeat 3 times

Set 'office lamp' On

Wait 2 seconds

Set 'office lamp' Off

Wait 2 seconds

But when the Sensor detects motion it just comes on and stays on for 30 seconds.

I suspect that the Sensor is still manually linked to the lamp module. You should remove both the lamp module and the sensor from the ISY, factory reset both then add them back to the ISY. You should not manually link devices together outside of the ISY.

I also suspect that the ISY is not in range of the motion sensor as that program should still have flashed the lights if the sensor had triggered the program. The fact that it didn't tells me that the ISY's PLM did not hear the sensor On message.

How far from the PLM is the sensor located? Was it added to the ISY from that location? Does the Admin console show the sensor status changes?

-Xathros

-XathrosYou should be able to invoke your program manually by right clicking your mouse on the name in the directory and selecting "Run Then" in the menu. The flashing is done by ISY, not the MS. Your lamp controller may not be linked in properly either.

Ok, right clicking the program and clicking 'Run Then' does run that program, but how do I make that program run whe the "If" condition is invoked? Here is the program:

IF

Then

Repeat 3 times

Set 'office lamp' On

Wait 2 seconds

Set 'office lamp' Off

Wait 2 seconds

I suspect that the Sensor is still manually linked to the lamp module. You should remove both the lamp module and the sensor from the ISY, factory reset both then add them back to the ISY. You should not manually link devices together outside of the ISY.

I also suspect that the ISY is not in range of the motion sensor as that program should still have flashed the lights if the sensor had triggered the program. The fact that it didn't tells me that the ISY's PLM did not hear the sensor On message.

How far from the PLM is the sensor located? Was it added to the ISY from that location? Does the Admin console show the sensor status changes?

-Xathros

Thanks Xanthros. I factory reset both the lamp module and the sensor and the Run THEN program runs but the IF program does not run, and now if motion is detected the office lamp does not even come on. The other lamp module (bedroom lamp) does still respond to motion and comes on.

This time I did not link the office lamp outside of ISY.

Again, when motion is detected by the sensor, the office lamp does not come on, the bedroom lamp does come on(which I have not reset). And the office lamp, which has the program, does not come on or flash if motion is detected.

If the bedroom lamp is responding to motion then the sensor and the bedroom light are manually linked outside of the ISY. Remove the bedroom lamp from the ISY, factory reset the bedroom lamp module then add it back to the ISY. That should break the linkage between the two.

When you run the program, does the Office lamp flash?

When you move in front of the motion detector, does the admin console show the motion sensor change status? Here I suspect we still have an issue.

Double check the program and make sure the sensor and the lamp module are still referenced in the If and Then sections.

-Xathros

If the bedroom lamp is responding to motion then the sensor and the bedroom light are manually linked outside of the ISY. Remove the bedroom lamp from the ISY, factory reset the bedroom lamp module then add it back to the ISY. That should break the linkage between the two.

When you run the program, does the Office lamp flash?

When you move in front of the motion detector, does the admin console show the motion sensor change status? Here I suspect we still have an issue.

Double check the program and make sure the sensor and the lamp module are still referenced in the If and Then sections.

-Xathros

Ok, I removed the lamp from ISY, rreset it to factory reset, and added it back to ISY. Now either lamp will flash if I run their THEN program. But when I move in front of the motion detector nothing happens for either lamp and the admin console does not change status. But this is different from before, because before I reset the bedroom module they both did respond to the motion sensor. Both the sensor and the lamp module are referenced rrespectively..

OK. Making progress.

First, not sure I understand what you said above...

Do any lights flash when you RunThen the program? If not, edit the program and reselect the light(s) in the Then section, Save the program and then test again with a RunThen.

The fact that the admin console does not see the sensor status changes could indicate that the sensor is not communicating with the ISY's PLM. If the sensor added ok, this may simply mean that the sensor's current location is out of range of the PLM or other Dual band devices.

To Diagnose: Open the Event Viewer (Tools / Diagnostics / Event Viewer). Click the Clear Button, then go move around in front of your sensor. You should see activity in the event viewer. If not, the Sensor is not communicating with the PLM. Temporarily move the sensor close to the PLM and test some more. Do you see event activity? Does your program run? Can you turn On/Off both lamps via the admin console?

Post results.

Do you have any Insteon access points/range extenders? Other dual band devices? It is generally recommended tthat you have a pair of access points bridging the phases (legs) of your electrical panel to provide communication between the 2 pahses and also to provide RF coverage for wireless only devices like motion sensors amd door/window sensors.

-Xathros

OK. Making progress.

First, not sure I understand what you said above...

Do any lights flash when you RunThen the program? If not, edit the program and reselect the light(s) in the Then section, Save the program and then test again with a RunThen.

The fact that the admin console does not see the sensor status changes could indicate that the sensor is not communicating with the ISY's PLM. If the sensor added ok, this may simply mean that the sensor's current location is out of range of the PLM or other Dual band devices.

To Diagnose: Open the Event Viewer (Tools / Diagnostics / Event Viewer). Click the Clear Button, then go move around in front of your sensor. You should see activity in the event viewer. If not, the Sensor is not communicating with the PLM. Temporarily move the sensor close to the PLM and test some more. Do you see event activity? Does your program run? Can you turn On/Off both lamps via the admin console?

Post results.

Do you have any Insteon access points/range extenders? Other dual band devices? It is generally recommended tthat you have a pair of access points bridging the phases (legs) of your electrical panel to provide communication between the 2 pahses and also to provide RF coverage for wireless only devices like motion sensors amd door/window sensors.

-Xathros

Thanks Xanthros. Yes both lamps flash when RUN THEN program is run. And I can turn both lamps on/off via the console. And I have attached the event log.

ISY-Events-Log.v3.3.10__Fri 2014.06.13 03.08.39 PM.txt

OK. Good that the lights respond. Bad that the log shows no sign of the motion sensor. We should see activity in there from 26.5C.2F but I see none. This means that the Motion sensor is not in communication with the ISY. Move the sensor close to the PLM and rerun the event viewer test.

-Xathros

OK. Good that the lights respond. Bad that the log shows no sign of the motion sensor. We should see activity in there from 26.5C.2F but I see none. This means that the Motion sensor is not in communication with the ISY. Move the sensor close to the PLM and rerun the event viewer test.

-Xathros

Ok, I moved the motion sensor right on top of the PLM and re-ran the event log and attached it here. Could the battery in the sensor be a problem? I'll replace it later.

ISY-Events-Log.v3.3.10__Fri 2014.06.13 03.31.53 PM.txt

Archived