220 volt dryer with SynchroLinc?

rayzor

I am pretty handy with electricity but I am wondering if anybody has attempted this and might know what to do.

I was thinking of opening up the SynchroLinc and tying the hot wire to the 110 line that powers the drum for the dryer to detect when the dryer shuts off after a cycle, and of course it is a 4 wire so tie the neutral line in as usual.

If anybody has thought or attempted this or has any advice against, would appreciate it.

I was thinking of opening up the SynchroLinc and tying the hot wire to the 110 line that powers the drum for the dryer to detect when the dryer shuts off after a cycle, and of course it is a 4 wire so tie the neutral line in as usual.

If anybody has thought or attempted this or has any advice against, would appreciate it.

Current has to flow through the device not detect voltage. It detects current so a single connection to a voltage would not work.

An electric dryer usually has about a 4800w element so the current would be too high for the SynchroLinc rating.

If you are installing it inside the dryer cabinet, perhaps install a receptacle on the motor line and put a plug on the motor, making sure it is 120vac and you use proper heat rated wiring.

There are discussions about using a CT device for this in another recent thread.

Here is a long interesting thread on Laundry monitoring with a number of options discussed along the way.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10104&hilit=laundry+monitoring

-Xathros

I've read through that - to keep WAF I can't have it visible (behind the dryer is fine). I don't really like the idea of the TriggerLinc as I don't want to open up the front panel and replace the battery every x months. I also don't want messages on my insteon network every 1 second as the drum spins.

About the only thing I liked is somebody asked if there is some type of vibration sensor that can trigger the IOLinc - but I haven't seen any response to what type of vibration sensor would provide this.

I've also read the through utilizing the CT-800 and I can't find where any of those are sold nowadays.

I bought my CT-800's from ebay but I had found a manufacturer's source as well. I'll see if I can dig that up for you tomorrow. I love the way these things work. Paired with a CAI board or Raspberry Pi they make awesome little sensors for all sorts of things. I have one on my oil burners's induction motor, washer, dryer, water pump and i'm considering taping the runs to 2 electric stoves.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just monitor the washer. Monitoring the dryer doesn't add a lot. Forgetting laundry in the washer and you end up with a stinky mess. Also, when you forget it in the washer it isn't ready to wear. Forgetting it in the dryer really doesn't amount to much trouble. You can always pull the clothes out and put it straight on. Aside from the clothes maybe getting wrinkled, there isn't much to gain from dryer finish notification. Generally the washer time is longer than the dryer time, so the next load from the washer should be able to go right in without needing another notification from the dryer.

Having said that, to be a purist, you want to know. If it were me, I would open the dryer, interrupt the wires to the drum motor, put a standard wall socket on the hot side, and a plug on the motor side. Put your IO linc in between and that should work. Of course you might void your warranty.

I've also read the through utilizing the CT-800 and I can't find where any of those are sold nowadays.

I found a few links for you

Lots of installation photos and info.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/articles/_/tutorials/home-automation-tutorials/how-to-monitor-the-status-of-your-appliances-using-current-sensors-r58?start=1

Not sure if these guys deal them or not

http://canada.newark.com/general-tools/ct800/10-wire-low-volt-test-leads-5/dp/59P4261?mckv=sXnaBkGDk|pcrid|23945925353|plid|&CMP=KNC-G-SKU-OTH-GENERALTOOLS

Order from the source.

http://www.mamacsys.com/distributors.htm

I just monitor the washer. Monitoring the dryer doesn't add a lot. Forgetting laundry in the washer and you end up with a stinky mess. Also, when you forget it in the washer it isn't ready to wear. Forgetting it in the dryer really doesn't amount to much trouble. You can always pull the clothes out and put it straight on. Aside from the clothes maybe getting wrinkled, there isn't much to gain from dryer finish notification. Generally the washer time is longer than the dryer time, so the next load from the washer should be able to go right in without needing another notification from the dryer.

Having said that, to be a purist, you want to know. If it were me, I would open the dryer, interrupt the wires to the drum motor, put a standard wall socket on the hot side, and a plug on the motor side. Put your IO linc in between and that should work. Of course you might void your warranty.

I monitor the dryer. NG dryers only use 120v electrics. I can detect when the dryer door is open. This is important in the winter due to cold weather blowing in through the dryer.

-The clothes forgotten clothes urine smell is from the wrong fabric softener. We went back to brand names years ago.

- Clothes left in the dryer need to be ironed. In the washer isn't a problem for us.

-Our dryer always has loads waiting to go in as it takes longer than the washer.

Along with Apostolaskisl's recommendations just mount an external receptacle box on the back side of the dryer or the wall (use some BX) with a motor plug cord through a grommet out the back where the hole won't be seen. The SynchroLinc can be unplugged for maintenance on the bench and the RF signals should reach it outside of a metal shielding case.

I wouldn't say they get urine smell. It is just a musty odor as happens with stuff that is wet. It is like a 24 hour problem, not a few hours.

Regardless of smell, the implications of forgetting clothes in the washer is going to be worse than the dryer.

1) Laundry in the dryer can't be pulled out and worn on the spot. So the implication of forgetting in the washer is that the piece of clothing is unwearable vs the dryer where you just have to dig it out.

2) If you forget in the washer for too long, it dries in there. Then it needs to be rewashed unless you like to wear cardboard.

3) The front load washers typically run longer than the dryer since they seem to do more fancy cycles and since they spin the clothes so close to dry. We have wash cycles that usually last close to an hour and the dryer usually is more like 30 to 40 minutes.

4) All of the clothes we wash at home don't wrinkle since the wrinkle guard on the dryer does a great job of keeping them fluffed until it is cooled off at which point wrinkling isn't really an issue. The cotton dress shirts need ironing no matter what and therefore they go to the cleaners (we don't iron)

5) Not sure why cold clothes are a problem (as long as they are dry).

Gas dryer does simply things since they run on 120.

But the wrinkle guard throws a twist into your program regardless of gas or electric. You would presumably want to be warned as soon as it finishes, but you wouldn't want to keep getting warned every few minutes when it does the wrinkle guard thing. Maybe set a variable after the synchrolinc is on for more than 10 minutes to 1 and when the synchrolinc turns off it switches the variable to 0 which is the trigger for notification. That way the wrinkle guard cycle doesn't keep notifying you since it doesn't run long enough to be considered.

I wouldn't say they get urine smell. It is just a musty odor as happens with stuff that is wet. It is like a 24 hour problem, not a few hours.

Regardless of smell, the implications of forgetting clothes in the washer is going to be worse than the dryer.

1) Laundry in the dryer can't be pulled out and worn on the spot. So the implication of forgetting in the washer is that the piece of clothing is unwearable vs the dryer where you just have to dig it out.

2) If you forget in the washer for too long, it dries in there. Then it needs to be rewashed unless you like to wear cardboard.

3) The front load washers typically run longer than the dryer since they seem to do more fancy cycles and since they spin the clothes so close to dry. We have wash cycles that usually last close to an hour and the dryer usually is more like 30 to 40 minutes.

4) All of the clothes we wash at home don't wrinkle since the wrinkle guard on the dryer does a great job of keeping them fluffed until it is cooled off at which point wrinkling isn't really an issue. The cotton dress shirts need ironing no matter what and therefore they go to the cleaners (we don't iron)

5) Not sure why cold clothes are a problem (as long as they are dry).

Gas dryer does simply things since they run on 120.

But the wrinkle guard throws a twist into your program regardless of gas or electric. You would presumably want to be warned as soon as it finishes, but you wouldn't want to keep getting warned every few minutes when it does the wrinkle guard thing. Maybe set a variable after the synchrolinc is on for more than 10 minutes to 1 and when the synchrolinc turns off it switches the variable to 0 which is the trigger for notification. That way the wrinkle guard cycle doesn't keep notifying you since it doesn't run long enough to be considered.

Yeah, we didn't get suckered by the media hype of the front load and stuck with our 25 year old suds saver model. We watch with amazement our son's monster sized machine do it's multiple wash cycles taking over an hour or the clothes still aren't cleaned properly.

Our washing machine beats the dryer with it's 26 minute cycle including spins and rinses. We didn't find the wrinkle reducer on our dryer functioned well enough. We have different parameters to work with.

BTW:It took us several years to figure out why the clothes smell. With the right fabric softener that doesn't happen, even after days of sitting wet.

If
       Control 'Mudroom / Dryer' is switched On
    And Control 'Mudroom / Dryer' is not switched Off

Then
       Run Program 'Dryer Finished.Alert' (Else Path)
       Wait  10 minutes 
       Enable Program 'Dryer Finished.Alert'
       Wait  1 hour 
       Send Notification to 'Text SWMO' content 'Dryer Didn't Stop'
       Send Notification to 'eMail SWMBO' content 'Dryer Didn't Stop'

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Negative condition in "If" aborts "Dryer Didn't Stop" notifications.

Program 'Dryer Finished.Alert'

If
       Control 'Mudroom / Dryer' is switched Off
    And Control 'Mudroom / Motion.Mud Rm' is not switched On

Then
       Run Program 'Dryer Running' (Else Path)
       Wait  15 seconds
       Set 'Foyer / Doorbell Button / Back Doorbell' On
       Wait  3 seconds
       Set 'Foyer / Doorbell Button / Back Doorbell' Off
       Set 'Foyer / Chime' On
       Wait  5 minutes 
       Send Notification to 'Text SWMBO' content 'Dryer Finished'
       Run Program 'Dryer Finished.Alert' (Else Path)

Else
       Wait  2 seconds
       Set 'Foyer / Doorbell Button / Back Doorbell' Off
       Set 'Foyer / Chime' Off
       Wait  2 seconds
       Disable Program 'Dryer Finished.Alert'

Negative motion sensor condition before wait finishes can cancel the notification. 

We get a few sound maker notices and then she gets a text message after 5 minutes if the room doesn't see motion in there. That's our wrinkle prevention. The 1 hr. wait is in case the dryer door was left open or the timer got stuck. That happened once when the dryer was new.

Edit: Corrected logic

Actually we very much like our front load Samsung unit. It gets the clothes very clean. And they get spun so close to dry that they would never sit for days wet since they actually dry in the washer in less than a day if let to sit. I have the Samsung unit at my office as well for medical stuff and it is tremendous with sani cycle and all.

Our first generation front loader was not so good and we got rid of it.

Archived