Replaced modem: Unable to connect to some devices/programs fail to run

Xathros point is very valid as far a reading/counting PLM link records.  However, in this case a Direct On command from the Admin Console and a Direct On from the Program are the same command going through the PLM and Insteon network and neither uses link records in the PLM nor in the device itself.   Direct commands never use link records.

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3.    Issue an On with the Admin  Console and  trigger the Program.   Post the event trace.   What should be the same command, one working and one not suggests an unknown that has not yet been identified. 

2 Questions:

1) How are you executing the program?  By operating the kitchen switch or by selecting "RunThen" on the program in the console?  1b) Do these methods deliver differing results?

2) Do you have a scene defined that contains the 2 devices in question?  If so, there may be a scene / program conflict going on here where the scene is overriding the direct command from the program.

-Xathros

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is what I did.

- Went to tools>diagnostics>event viewer level 3

- admin console>kitchen lighting switch>On

Thu 07/17/2014 02:33:12 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 1B 3C 12 0F 11 FF

Thu 07/17/2014 02:33:12 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 1B.3C.12 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:33:12 PM : [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 1B.3C.12 2C.0A.0B 2B 11 FF    LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:33:12 PM : [Std-Direct Ack] 1B.3C.12-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Thu 07/17/2014 02:33:12 PM : [  1B 3C 12 1]       ST 255

Next, I went into the program that is listed above, and ran the THEN case. Here are the results

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:02 PM : [        Time] 14:34:02 0(0)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:02 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 1B 3C 12 0F 11 FF

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:02 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 1B.3C.12 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:03 PM : [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 1B.3C.12 2C.0A.0B 2B 11 FF    LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:03 PM : [Std-Direct Ack] 1B.3C.12-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:06 PM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 21 93 1F 0F 11 FF

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:06 PM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 21.93.1F 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:07 PM : [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 21.93.1F 2C.0A.0B 2B 11 FF    LTONRR (FF)

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:07 PM : [Std-Direct Ack] 21.93.1F-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=3, Hops Left=2

Thu 07/17/2014 02:34:07 PM : [  21 93 1F 1]       ST 255

Finally, I set all of the lights in the kitchen to off. I then pressed the toggle switch in the kitchen to turn the lights on. Here is the event trace.

- Nothing showed up in the event viewer window upon physically turning the lights in the kitchen to ON.

Thanks for all of your help.

I just realized the Program is triggered by the same device the Program is also turning on by the first statement, meaning Kitchen Lighting turning On is the result of pressing the paddle, not the Program being triggered.

The comm between the PLM and both devices is good.   The lack of a Program trigger is caused by a missing link in the trigger switch or the PLM.  Right click on Kitchen Lighting and select Restore Device.  That will rebuild the device link database and rewrite the PLM link record.

I don't know if this post is relevant, but it might help somebody.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13039-modem-died-restore-not-working-could-use-some-help/?do=findComment&comment=107381

I have plans to replace my PLM (due to the random "all on") situation and the first time I tried to do it, I lost communications with a lot of devices so I went back to my old PLM for now.  This was before the post above, so I wonder if the "the dual band devices apparently have some sort of security mechanism and don't like to talk over RF and/or repeat signals from non-linked devices." is affecting the PLM replacement process.

I just realized the Program is triggered by the same device the Program is also turning on by the first statement, meaning Kitchen Lighting turning On is the result of pressing the paddle, not the Program being triggered.

The comm between the PLM and both devices is good.   The lack of a Program trigger is caused by a missing link in the trigger switch or the PLM.  Right click on Kitchen Lighting and select Restore Device.  That will rebuild the device link database and rewrite the PLM link record.

LeeG-

I tried what you suggested. That seemed to do the trick for that switch. Now, when I go into the kitchen, and press the switch, the overhead lights ramp up, and the cabinet lighting comes on after a brief delay.

Should I use this procedure on the other devices that I have?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if this post is relevant, but it might help somebody.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13039-modem-died-restore-not-working-could-use-some-help/?do=findComment&comment=107381

I have plans to replace my PLM (due to the random "all on") situation and the first time I tried to do it, I lost communications with a lot of devices so I went back to my old PLM for now.  This was before the post above, so I wonder if the "the dual band devices apparently have some sort of security mechanism and don't like to talk over RF and/or repeat signals from non-linked devices." is affecting the PLM replacement process.

WayneW- Thanks for posting the link. I may take a look at that as a solution if I can't get my system restored correctly.

That would be the approach I would take.

That's what I was betting on.

I did that, and got through all my devices with two failures. I received two "failed to communicate with the device" for two of my 6 button switches. Now, the switches show up in the tree with a red exclamation point in front of them. I tried to restore the device again, but nothing seems to happen.

LeeG-

Thanks again for all of your help. I took a break around 5:30 to eat, and didn't get back to working on the lights until now. I had a program that ran at 8:00 pm and I noticed that the activity light on the front panel of the ISY was flickering longer than it usually did. When I logged into the admin console, I saw that the red exclamation points were removed from the two 6 keypadlincs, and I had green triangles next to one of them. I selected the primary node, and did a write to device. The triangles went away, and it looked like that cleared things up.

I still have a few switches that are not responding the way they used to in scenes, but I'm still trouble shooting that one. I am going to try to remove one of the devices from the scene, then work on adding it back in.

Thank you for all of your help. I'm not 100% recovered, but I think that I'm on the way.

Archived