Rain Today issue...

jmed999

We received another update from the HAM folks today. Please post here if you continue to have issues and we'll bring them forward.

Our team pushed out another set of updates this afternoon related to precipitation.  After watching and comparing the data over the past week, some additional tweaks were made to handle some use cases a better.

We will continue to watch and make updates as needed. Let us know if you or your users continue to have issues with precip as we move forward.

Hello Mike,

I haven't received any rain here to check the updates.  I have noticed that HAM data is being presented 1 hour late VS NOAA.  My airport station (KSBN) is in the eastern time zone.  HAM appears to be presenting for central.

We received another update from the HAM folks today. Please post here if you continue to have issues and we'll bring them forward.

Our team pushed out another set of updates this afternoon related to precipitation.  After watching and comparing the data over the past week, some additional tweaks were made to handle some use cases a better.

We will continue to watch and make updates as needed. Let us know if you or your users continue to have issues with precip as we move forward.

post-135-0-75865400-1412025473_thumb.png

post-135-0-27430900-1412025494_thumb.png

Hi IM,

Response from HAM:

I verified the API is reporting the proper timezone:

http://api.aerisapi.com/observations/KSBN

The Website, uses a blend of our older software and our newer one, so it may not match the API 100%. The API should be the most accurate and the website will begin matching up as the team continues to port over the functionality to be fully Aeris based.

That said, I have contacted the web team so they can correct the time zone setting for that ICAO within the older platform.

And, another:

One final update, the web team did note that the website listed the site as Eastern, its just that the history table was ignoring DST on the website. They are testing a fix now which will be on the website shortly.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel,

I am having a bit of trouble interpreting HAM's response:

1. It seems that they are implying that one hour delay on the KSBN website is an isolated case.  I spot checked 3 other international airports aross the US (O'Hare, Atlanta, LAX).  All showed a one hour time delay.  Interesting, since a one hour delay from LAX would put you in the Pacific.
  2. They also seem to make the distinction that the website and the API are not the same.  Unless I mis-understood, the API should be more accurate.  I am currently tracking a minimum of 1.5 hours delay between the ISY reports and NOAA (10 minute update in my logging).  I have been holding this back since I regarded it as unofficial vs the website (one issue at a time).

I'm a bit concerned that HAM appears to be treating this as isolated rather than examing their "system".  Also concerned that it is far more difficult to correct PWS stations since we do not have access to a "webiste" summary for them.

Am I overcomplicating things?

IM

Hello Michel,

KSBN received .22" of rain yesterday according to NOAA.  The HAM website recorded .2" of rain - 0.02" was "missed" due to the 1 hour time offset.

The ISY recorded the 0.2" of rain yesterday, but did not reset to 0 after midnight.  It is currently recording 0.2" for 10/5/2014 even though no rain has fallen.

The table below shows rainfall totals reported by the HAM website.  The plot below shows NOAA and ISY cumulative rain for 10/4 through 10/5.  The red line (ISY) should reset to zero after midnight on 10/4.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of calendar to track this issue.  In November precipitation will become "fluffy" around here (the bad fluffy - not Gabriel Iglesias).  We had an unofficial 110" of snow last year - unofficial because the NWS at KSBN decided to discontinue measuring snowfall after 74 years.  We're doing our winter tuneups on Vehicles, furnaces, snowblowers and the like.  Judging by the way my pines are dropping needles, we don't have much time left.

post-135-0-37804000-1412516639_thumb.png

post-135-0-71319200-1412516865_thumb.png

Michel -

I have never been able to see my personal weather station in the weather module which I registered on PWS - Station http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KWIBLACK2.html. Why wouldn't it show in the weather module list?

Some of it may be because of my ignorance on what I have to do. Is registering on PWS the only thing I have to do for the weather module to pick up my personal weather station?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello everyone,

Since HAM is committed to fixing all the issues, I have started a new topic:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14256-ham-weather-issues/ 

Please post:

1. Issues with Personal Web Stations ... it's very important to post station ID and link (if you have any)

2. Issues with Rain Today especially if it does not reset after midnight local time + station ID

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

Archived