Adding an Insteon Device by knowing its address only

paulbates

I am eagerly awating shipment of my new ISY and have been going through the docs. I have some insteon devices burried in places I'd like not to revisit for the sake of pressing the set button to get them in the ISY.

I see that I can add a device with controllers like keypadlincs and the ISY will lookup and add the devices associated with links in those controllers.  I have some devices that are buried in the attic or under fixtures that are only controlled by automation or direct automation... no links except in the insteon hub I am currently using... no joy on picking them up.

Is it possible to add devices by address only? Maybe I temporarily add links for these devices to the keypadlncs to get them added with that feature, and then remove the links after. (?)

I really don't want to go up in my attic in July :shock:

Regards

Paul

As long as they are not battery-operated devices,  you should be able to link them the address only.

That's how I do most of my linking.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Link_Management_Menu#New_INSTEON_Device

It is recommended that you do "Remove existing links" - that way ISY is the only controller.

You could choose "Add devices found in links and remove existing links" to ISY goes from device to device finding new ones, and deletes links.

Don't use "Add Devices Found in Links and keep existing links" unless you want all sorts of randomly defines scenes with no clue what goes to what.

When I moved from another controller to ISY, I started from scratch.  Was way easier than trying to sort things out after I used the last option.

Purdue Guy.. I read the pdf manual and didn't catch it that way, Thank you.

I have a number of Insteon devices that are virtual electrical circuits for low voltage and other lighting from wall switches. They work device to device and can function if my current HA setup, even the hub/plm die.  It doesn't happen often, but I have a travel job now and the few times its happened has been bad WAF. Its how it was designed.

I like to monitor and have the convience of "all off", but to rebuild all those links in keypads will be a bear. My thought is to go back through with my existing HA package after I convert and pull the links to the hub out as the final step.

Thank you again

Paul

ISY can "crawl" you network.  Basically, it will start with one or more devices check the links, go find those devices, add them, check their links, go find them, and so on and so forth.  Unless your "buried" devices live on an "insteon island" they will probably be captured by a system crawl.

Once this is done, ISY will display every single device and the Insteon address under the "my lighting" button in the main tree.

If you are happy with how everything is setup and linked, you can use it that way.  Or, you could make a list of all the devices and their addresses, delete the whole thing, and start over from scratch wiping each device as you add it.  Then create your links from scratch.

Archived