Another ALL ON Event

Another ALL ON last night. Spouse and self just watching a movie, so no movement nor turning any Insteon device on or off. Fortunately, we were able to pause the movie B)

Another ALL ON last night. Spouse and self just watching a movie, so no movement nor turning any Insteon device on or off. Fortunately, we were able to pause the movie B)

To be clear you didn't see a ALL ON / ALL OFF on the older (99 Series Controller) unit that is relegated to manage the gates right?

Were you watching one of those home remodeling shows? I'm wondering if the HOUSE got frightened and turned on the lights?!?

It sounds like you two weren't moving, but I wonder if something else was. Do you have any areas with overlapping motion sensors, someplace a cat could manage to activate two units simultaneously?

No motion sensors (2 Insteon wireless and 2 Lutron wired) have ever been tripped by our cats. And there is no location where more than one can be activated/seen at a time. The movie was Empire State B)

• 1 month later...

Had my first ever Insteon All On event this morning.  I've had the house on ISY/Insteon for 4+ years/

At 12:45 AM, a motion sensor (2842-222 V.41) was triggered.  It set the state Variable related to this to 1.

The program watching the state variable switched on the Front Porch Light.

All of the above is logged.

Additionally, the triggering of the sensor on the IOlinc for the garage door status is logged.

One second later I received a SMS that the garage door was open. When I looked, all Insteon modules, including those which are disabled in the ISY were in an ON state.  This includes both old and new style ApplianceLincs, Icon Series ApplianceLincs, New style plug-in dimmers, IOlincs, and wall switches and dimmers, both single and keypad.  Devices that are not a part of any scene (but are linked to the PLM and used in programs) were also turned on.  The Venstar thermostat also was switched to FAN ON mode from FAN AUTO.

The front porch light was turned off after the motion sensor reset (firing another program based on state variable change that turns it off), all the rest of the lights were left on.

The house was unoccupied at the time, and was in away mode, with much of the normal schedule disabled.  There were no programs issuing commands until he motion sensor triggered the state variable set.

The ISY was unaware of the state of all these modules. - indicates no ISY command/receive of response to whatever command turned everything on.

ISY 994iPro with Zwave  V4.5.1  UI is 4.5.1

PLM is  V9E  PLM appears to be acting normally (no apparent Power Supply issue)

Motion Sensor is not reporting a low battery. Battery was replaced in June.

None of the status of the modules that were on was logged.

When I did a Query All in the ISY, it did properly reflect status.

Motion Sensor is linked only to PLM.  ISY only uses that information to set/reset a state variable. The sensor is not a part of any scene.

Since the Motion Sensor ONLY sets a state variable, and there are delays in the program triggered by the state variable change, I'm a bit surprised by this event.

Thought I'd add this to the discussion as there are a couple of new things here:

- Motion sensor only fires state variable

- Modules that were disabled in ISY were switched on.

All my MS units, that operate lights, use a direct linked scene. ISY never issues an On immediately after an MS motion detect signal, only an Off after a program delay timer.

I believe this avoids data clashes with the unsynchronised MS multiple signal sends, causing the ISY/PLM to send an ALL ON signal.

This has worked, or I have been lucky, to not have experienced an ALL On, in about two years, using two different PLMs now. Touch wood!!!

So a quick question, does an Insteon ALL ON command affect any and all Insteon devices that hear it?

Or do the modules need to be linked to something?

If an ALL ON command will be responded to by any device that receives it, then what is to stop a hack where you walk up to a location with a wireless device that sends an ALL ON?

Archived