Micro On/Off Sense for Generator Status

pjjameso

Have a standby generator and would like to know via text whether its sending power or if it is coming from the utility.  I have been travelling and would like to know the power status (especially since the generator needs oil everyday of run time under load).

I have hooked the sense wires, 1 to the utility, 2 to the generator on each side of the transfer switch. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to program this device to execute an if statement.  Is there no option in the ISY to 'sense' whether there is power on either sense line and then execute an action?

Im sure I must be missing something here... Thanks in advance

Ok, the yellow sense wire turns the device on, the purple turns the device off.  All well and good and works when I apply power and I can hear and see the relay is functioning as such. Issue now appears that although the relay switches it doesnt send an insteon command until the power is removed.  If I leave the power connected command is not sent and if left longer the unit starts flashing in error mode.

This wont work for me as power will always be applied to purple or yellow (but not at the same time). Appears I may need to have two of these units, one for generator supply, another for utility with them setup as latching, single line, act as 3 way.  

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks, thats what I figure, two micros.  Yes PLM & ISY work perfect with the generator.  Whats even more surprising is that the micro module Line and Neutral are plugged into the UPS and transmits status perfectly (was thinking that wouldnt work).  Kept reading how UPS blocks signals and what is even stranger the UPS is on a fliterlinc too.

Would be interesting to try the PLM in the UPS as well as then would have complete redundancy.

Thanks, thats what I figure, two micros.  Yes PLM & ISY work perfect with the generator.  Whats even more surprising is that the micro module Line and Neutral are plugged into the UPS and transmits status perfectly (was thinking that wouldnt work).  Kept reading how UPS blocks signals and what is even stranger the UPS is on a fliterlinc too.

Would be interesting to try the PLM in the UPS as well as then would have complete redundancy.

Both devices are dual band so the powerline signal is being cut off. The device is transmitting via RF which negates the whole dual mesh features.

But, if it works for your intended application rock on!

The PLM is dual band, so it can send and receive INSTEON RF signals. A disadvantage is that the PLM will most likely function as a single band device, so you lose the extra reliability of having both powerline and RF.

e

The PLM is dual band, so it can send and receive INSTEON RF signals. A disadvantage is that the PLM will most likely function as a single band device, so you lose the extra reliability of having both powerline and RF.

Excellent point, thank you. So how does the rest of the Insteon network communicate? Specifically if the PLM (dual band) is plugged into the UPS which negates the powerline transmission, do other devices (all dual band) when receiving an RF signal only re transmit an RF or do they transmit both RF and powerline.  If they transmit both then as long as you have another dual band device close their shouldnt be any reliability degeneration, correct?

A Dual Band module receiving an Insteon RF command. Will send power line messages.

A Dual Band module receiving a Insteon power line command. Will send an Insteon RF message.

There are a few users here. That have their PLM on an UPS and used a Access Point or other Dual Band Device for sending commands on the power lines.

Power line messages received by other Dual Band modules will send an RF message back to the PLM.

Only limitation is Insteon RF and other RF signals can be effected by many things. So the PLM has to be in good communications distance to at least one Dual Band module.

Exactly what I hoped to hear... as the PLM is in the office with 4 other dual band devices, (3x outlets, 1 keypad) I should be in good shape to plug the PLM into the UPS.

Follow up question for those who have the PLM plugged into a UPS. Do you still use a filterlinc on the power to the UPS?

Exactly what I hoped to hear... as the PLM is in the office with 4 other dual band devices, (3x outlets, 1 keypad) I should be in good shape to plug the PLM into the UPS.

Follow up question for those who have the PLM plugged into a UPS. Do you still use a filterlinc on the power to the UPS?

Yes.  The reason is that the UPS will act as a signal sink on the powerline side if not isolated.

-Xathros

I have my ISY and PLM powered by a UPS and the UPS is powered through a FilterLinc. Been configured this way for over 1-1/2 years without issues. Another limitation to this configuration not mentioned is that the PLM can only send X-10 signaling over the power line, so you will loose X-10 capability if you presently have X-10 modules.

~Mike

Archived