Jay M

This one is very strange...

I have a Kitchen scene on individual switches-

ceiling lights

under cabinet lights

over the sink light

bar area light

china cabinet light

the switchlink that the ceiling lights are on is the controller.

When I turn that switch on, all the lights BUT the china cabinet on on.

When I turn it off, they all go off, except the china cabinet.

When I dim or brighten, all dim and brighten except the china cabinet.

On the ISY software, I have full control of the china cabinet light.

My assumption was that the china cabinet switch was defective.

I replaced it with a new one and have the exact same problem.

I created a new scene called china cabinet test that only includes the china cabinet.  Some problem.  It won't respond when I turn the scene on and off from the the ISY software, but the witch can be controlled with the software.

Do you have any ideas?

thanks

~Jay

JayM-

Is the china cabinet lighting plugged into a power strip?  If so, try going direct to the outlet. Many power strips have noise filters that kill insteon signals.

-Xathros

Did you set the on levels for all controllers (isy and the switchlinc).

Also, to add this make sure the ramp rate isn't set for something like 9 minutes! That would appear to the user the light is off. I would also check to make sure the device isn't set to always off mode.

When I get home tonight, I'll try to answer these questions more precisely. 

The scene controller is the Switchlink that controls the ceiling lights.  So when I tap that paddle ON, all the lights in the scene go on. (except the china cabinet.)

The new china cabinet switch is a dual-band.  It is connected to an outlet on the top of the china cabinet.  The china cabinet uses puck lights that are plugged directly into the outlet.

When I directly control the china cabinet switchlink on the laptop, it peforms flawlessly.

When the scene last worked, it was with the old ISY99ir and the V2 Switchlink.  At some point it stopped working.  Since then I have replaced bith the ISY with a newer model, and just last night the Switchlink with the newest dual-band model.

The only thing unique about the china cabinet switch is its name - it's named "China Cabinet Lights 10.BE.87"  That address is just an example, not the actual address.  Because the name is so long, the name it got truncated in the ISY software to "China Cabinet Lights 10.BE.8"  My assumption is that the name I give it has nothing to do with scenes or programming.  Is that true?  Could a long name mess things up? 

thanks,

~Jay

Hopefully tonight I'll have time to mess around with it.

I think I have covered the items above, let me know if I missed one...

Not using a power strip

delete and add back, swapping out hardware did that.

always of mode? not sure about that.  Where do I find that setting?  And why would that setting only be in a scene?

long ramp time, no, and even if it was, after 9 minutes i'd have noticed the light on.

the controller is a the ceiling switchlink. 

I created a new scene with this switchlink and it doesn't respond.

Next, I'll see if it will respond to a program.

~Jay

Suggest doing a Tools | Diagnostics | Show switchlinc Link Table.  Post the results with the Insteon address of the Controller.  The ramp rate will not matter if there is a link with a 0 On Level.  The Show is for the SwitchLinc that does not respond.  

The Scene device status reflects what the Scene should have done rather than what it actually did.

According to the Link Table display the first link record starts at 0400 which would indicate the device supports approx 200 links (actually less than 128 link records). The specs for both the SwitchLinc Dimmer and SwitchLinc Relay indicates the expected approx 400 links.

Note the 0FF8 starting address from one of my SwitchLincs.   

I would Delete the device, do a factory reset on the device and add it back to the ISY.   Then do another Show xxxxx Links Table to see if it now shows the link table starting at 0FF8.

EDIT:  also note the Red Kitchen Lights Controller node has to be clicked to see the On Level and Ramp Rate in effect when the Kitchen Lights device is the Controller.

post-707-0-07073400-1409982588_thumb.jpg

I deleted it from the scene, then did a factory reset.

When I went to tools, diagnostics, device links table - I got an error. failed reading device link.

Today, I noticed another switch link in the house with the same problem.  It was part of a 3-way switch, and it never worked quite right.  I assumed that I just couldn't figure out how to do a 3-way.  After messing with it, I discovered that I can control it locally, with the PC, and in a program, but NOT as part of a scene.

Could there be a wiring issue?

thanks,

~Jay 

post-398-0-51212100-1410149076_thumb.png

The post at 01:12AM shows the link table starting at 0400.   That is invalid.

After the factory reset the link data base display at 12:12 AM shows the link data base starting at 0FF8 which is the correct location.

How the device decided that 0400 was the starting address is unknown.   That is why I suggested deleting the device from the ISY and doing a factory reset to see if that would correct the link data base starting address.  I would think along the lines of a power issue when the device was installed or before a Restore Device was done since the first link records created when the device was added to the ISY are in the wrong 0400 location. 

Archived