How to debug email not working issue

luken001

I have a ISY994i Pro - it worked perfectly until a week ago - then e-mails stopped working.  I've verified the settings on other devices on the same network and all is working well.  Now, when I do the "Test", I get "server not responding".  Previously, when working on this, I also received "Could not open file [/CONF/CACERTS.CFG]" and simply "Mail server failure [Connection Failed]"  What can I  look at to try to debug this issue?

If you're using the ISY default gmail account it may be having some problems again. I know of at least two incidents where the UDI server was either offline, or was sending out mass emails from the past.

Most people are using their own personal (dedicated ISY) gmail account for this. 

I am using the smtp server for my local ISP.  here is the error message I am getting:

Thu 2014/09/04 06:14:12 PM System -50001 -5

I'm thinking there may be a problem with my ISP - I re-booted the ISY and the 1st test failed, the 2nd worked and the 3rd failed.  I set the timeout value to the max.  I've also tried with my smtp.gmail.com using my personal account.  

I would ask you to state how many programs you have sending mail. Along with the times they are being issues and to how many people.

I have noticed if there are lots of programs with (time conditions) of when an email is supposed to be sent.

Emails can be missed, the solution for me was to stagger the send interval, change the time a condition should send an alert, and also prioritize who should receive the first email.

Just something else to consider assuming this is not a network related issue. One thing I did not see mentioned was rebooting the ISY to see if this makes any difference to the outcome.

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

Thanks everyone for your help.  A few points to close this one out.

- regarding overloading the email server - that was one of my earlier concerns so I disabled all but one of the sending devices - it only sent an e-mail once every hour or so.

- I did reboot the ISY - that allowed it to work intermittently (where before it was solid failure)

- Having done nothing to my network or the ISY, it is now sending e-mails reliably

Since it stopped working with no changes on my part and has now starting working again with no changes on my part, I'm assuming some sort of network issue.  At least until it happens again   :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.  A few points to close this one out.

- regarding overloading the email server - that was one of my earlier concerns so I disabled all but one of the sending devices - it only sent an e-mail once every hour or so.

- I did reboot the ISY - that allowed it to work intermittently (where before it was solid failure)

- Having done nothing to my network or the ISY, it is now sending e-mails reliably

Since it stopped working with no changes on my part and has now starting working again with no changes on my part, I'm assuming some sort of network issue.  At least until it happens again   :-)

Keep us all in the loop if it happens again. Glad its all working now!

Archived