What's Needed for Electricity Power Monitoring

barkster

I just upgraded from my 99i to 994i and noticed the electricity tab.  I've been searching around to find out how to use it and really haven't found anything that is clear on how to set it up or what is needed.  I think the first thing I need is a ZS model instead of the standard version. Currently I have a smart meter in Houston TX with Centerpoint Power and I can view it online at www.SmartMeterTexas.com 

What do I need to be able to monitor my power usage, can I use what I have now under the electricity/open autodr?  Equipment? 

Thanks

Most of the smartmeters use a Zigbee radio. You should check with your utility provider to verify its radio and to see if they will provision your meter to allow you to read its radio. You would then need to purchase the Zigbee module from UDI which will add Zigbee compatibility to your existing ISY.

Sounds like it could be hard getting an answer from Centerpoint on that one.  I would imagine first thing they would say is no just because they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.  But, just before I was going to hit post I google centerpoint smartmeter han and look what I found http://www.centerpointelectric.com/cehe/smartmeters/faq/#HAN1  looks like they do but now I need to figure out how to get it all connected.  I read through the configuration guide we will see how it goes.

So I just need to purchase the High Powered Zigbee Smart Grid Radio  to make my standard isy994i work with my meter?

Sounds like it could be hard getting an answer from Centerpoint on that one.  I would imagine first thing they would say is no just because they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.  But, just before I was going to hit post I google centerpoint smartmeter han and look what I found http://www.centerpointelectric.com/cehe/smartmeters/faq/#HAN1  looks like they do but now I need to figure out how to get it all connected.  I read through the configuration guide we will see how it goes.

So I just need to purchase the High Powered Zigbee Smart Grid Radio  to make my standard isy994i work with my meter?

Yes, but I would call in to the POCO and talk to a human being about this whole process first! Almost every member who has engaged the POCO to enrol into the HAN service has been met with less than knowledgeable people.

Does anyone know if this device I have would work?  It's not from Toronto Hydro although it's the power meter that they give you if you request one.  I bought this one before they were popular.  It doesn't do wifi or anything as far as I know.  There's an optical sensor outside with a battery on the meter, and then I have the display here in the kitchen.  I mostly just use it for outside temperature.  I've seen Blueline come up a few times but is it something more advanced than this that connects to the ISY?

http://www.bluelineinnovations.com/powercost-monitor-2

Sorry like what I mean is I already own this meter and have for years, it works properly with my hydro and shows the right rates.  I meant is this the type that can connect to Insteon with the Zigbee or whatever it is radio mentioned above, or is this device entirely standalone?

Sorry like what I mean is I already own this meter and have for years, it works properly with my hydro and shows the right rates.  I meant is this the type that can connect to Insteon with the Zigbee or whatever it is radio mentioned above, or is this device entirely standalone?

This device is indeed Zigbee and could be added to the ISY Series Controller if UDI made a module to support it. Sadly, it will not be done given the lack of people who have this device.

Archived