Stopping a sprinkler program, EZfloras

paulbates

I'm working on sprinkler programs, wanted a sanity check, both on approach and handling of the EZflora. I want to have three programs that work together

There will be a (1) sprinkler program to run all the zones for a cycle, It will have a time of day condition to start it, and 'enough rainfall' condition to prevent it from running

• Turn on a variable the sprinkler cycle is active
  • turn zone one on
  • wait x minutes
  • turn zone one off
  • wait 5 seconds
  • turn zone two on
  • Turn off the sprinkler cycle variable

There will be a (2) 'enough rainfall' program  that will set a variable when enough rain has fallen. Possibly a companion program to turn it back off. I pretty much have this worked out.

The issue is that the "enough rainfall" condition does come up during the 4 hour sprinkler cycle. If it does, the "enough rainfall" variable controlling the sprinkler program would become true.  I would like the sprinkling to stop then. 

The final program is a (3) "Mid Cycle shutdown program" that is triggered on "Sprinkler Cycle" and "enough rainfall" becomes true. In this program, when true, I'm thinking:

• Stop (Sprinkler Program)' ... this will probably leave a zone running ..
  • Shut off the master valve on both EZFloras, 5 second pause between. That will stop watering
  • Step through all the non-master sprinkler valves and shut them off / known state. Leave 5 seconds between off commands.
  • Index a Mid Cycle shut down counter to monitor effectiveness

Thoughts, comments on this approach?

Paul

Thanks Lee, that is the kind of help i was looking for with the ezflora. My existing package on hs is spinkler controller brand/type 'agnostic', and provids a 5 second spread to cover the needs of a variety of controllers. This includes controllers that don't automatically shut running zones off when switching.

In doing anual 'blow outs' of the system and testing / working on the system, i noticed that the ezflora seems to close the current non-master down before starting the next. Glad its ok to move from one zone to the next.

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up, I had my first occurrence of this technique working on its own last night. There was a light rain that started early am. The normal sprinkler cycle started at 2:15 as expected. At 3:25 enough rain fall to equal normal watering had fallen and the "Mid Cycle shutdown program" kicked in and shut the cycle down. It indexed the variable to track mid cycle cancels.

It cut ~2 hours of sprinkling out of a 4+ hour cycle.

Archived