Release 2.6.7 is now available

Michel Kohanim

I am trying to work with the new SMTP Settings to send email through my internal mail server (MDaemon). It does work, but I noticed a couple of things.

The Use TLS checkbox doesn't seem to make a difference. I can tell from the server log that the ISY uses AUTH LOGIN no matter what the setting.

The second thing I noticed is that when I try to set up a Notify program Action, the dropdown only lets me choose All. I assume I should be able to pick the recipient for the message.

And while on the topic, a future feature request would be the ability to send a custom notification instead of the ISY generated one.

Otherwise - great job as always.

Ken

Still doesn't work in Firefox - still getting Invalid Request and wrong version information.

Have you tried clearing your Java cache after the update?

Yes, I did. That is, assuming that "clearing your Java cache" means "go to the Java Control Panel and delete the temporary files". (Yet another documentation issue...) As well as power-cycled the device and rebooted from the telnet console. None of this worked.

It eventually did work in Firefox. No clear reason why. I noticed that I wasn't being prompted for a password in Firefox, but I was in IE, so I thought a cookie might be keeping me logged in, and it might be a good idea to delete the cookie. But no cookie found in Firefox for the device. Don't see a stored password, either, so dunno what the isy is doing to keep me authenticated between sessions.

The really weird thing is it reporting the wrong version of the firmware (wrong model) with Firefox, and correct with IE.

Please, guys. Double the flash if you have to, and add "go back to previous version". This is firmware 101. Should be one of the first bits of firmware developed for any downloadable firmware device. (i.e. even before user functionality) I am appalled that a mature product doesn't have it.

Sorry for the rant. At work right now, I'm unraveling somebody else's configuration management mess - a lovely legacy dropped at my feet. And then I get this unpleasant reminder of the consequences of CM gone bad (or lacking at all). So, I'm a bit sensitive about these sorts of issues right now. :x

I do agree, it's the best device on the market for the purpose. That doesn't make it good. Just the least bad of a bad set of choices. It's not very satisfying either from the standpoint of a non-technical consumer nor a techie. It's possible to design products that work for both, but this one works well for neither.

Hello sca123,

Apologies for a tardy reply. If you have any firewalls installed, please do be kind enough to checkout http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=3 . If it still fails, please contact us (support@universal-devices.com) and we'll figure it out.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Getting an Invalid length error about half-way through the install - tried clearing the Java - rebooting - clearing immediately before installing, doing it in Firefax, and in IE8......no go - appreciate if you can advise - trying to upgrade from 2.6.6

Hi clark21236,

What problem do you have with Google Chrome and 2.6.7?

As far as the EEPROM, thanks so very much for bringing it up; there's a limit to the number of writes to an EEPROM. This was a heavily requested feature and we implemented it. We will have to educate our users about the ramifications of the usage of this feature.

With kind regards,

Michel

2.6.6 worked in Google Chrome, and have not had luck in 2.6.7 with Google Chrome.

Just a question about the new adjust scene level feature. If I understand it correctly, the sample program is writing parameters to the actual device.

Isn't this a bad thing to keep doing? All of these devices have their info stored in EEPROM. And isn't there a write limit on the EEPROM's in these devices?

I work in the energy management field, and this was an important thing to remember about particular points in our controllers. An errant program could actually wipe out an EEPROM with excessive writes.

These newer EEPROM's are probably much better than the stuff we used in these older controllers, but just thought I'd check anyway.

Hi Ken,

TLS works if and only if the server requests in the TLS handshake. If the server does not require TLS (such as gmail does), then TLS will not be used.

I am not familiar with MDaemon. Just for testing purposes, would you be kind enough to sign up for a free Gmail account and let me know whether or not it works.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am trying to work with the new SMTP Settings to send email through my internal mail server (MDaemon). It does work, but I noticed a couple of things.

The Use TLS checkbox doesn't seem to make a difference. I can tell from the server log that the ISY uses AUTH LOGIN no matter what the setting.

The second thing I noticed is that when I try to set up a Notify program Action, the dropdown only lets me choose All. I assume I should be able to pick the recipient for the message.

And while on the topic, a future feature request would be the ability to send a custom notification instead of the ISY generated one.

Otherwise - great job as always.

Ken

jtara92101,

I am not going to try and convince you of ISY's merits. This said, however, I shall do my best to stop and dispel the dissemination of uninformed and blatantly wrong infromation:

a) you can always go back to another revision (unless there's a hardware malfunction or a bug) within the same version

B) the product IDs are stored in non-volatile memory and ISY should NOT allow updates for different platforms. This must be a bug and NOT a lack of correct design as you have so boldly presupposed

Still doesn't work in Firefox - still getting Invalid Request and wrong version information.

Yes, I did. That is, assuming that "clearing your Java cache" means "go to the Java Control Panel and delete the temporary files". (Yet another documentation issue...) As well as power-cycled the device and rebooted from the telnet console. None of this worked.

It eventually did work in Firefox. No clear reason why. I noticed that I wasn't being prompted for a password in Firefox, but I was in IE, so I thought a cookie might be keeping me logged in, and it might be a good idea to delete the cookie. But no cookie found in Firefox for the device. Don't see a stored password, either, so dunno what the isy is doing to keep me authenticated between sessions.

The really weird thing is it reporting the wrong version of the firmware (wrong model) with Firefox, and correct with IE.

Please, guys. Double the flash if you have to, and add "go back to previous version". This is firmware 101. Should be one of the first bits of firmware developed for any downloadable firmware device. (i.e. even before user functionality) I am appalled that a mature product doesn't have it.

Sorry for the rant. At work right now, I'm unraveling somebody else's configuration management mess - a lovely legacy dropped at my feet. And then I get this unpleasant reminder of the consequences of CM gone bad (or lacking at all). So, I'm a bit sensitive about these sorts of issues right now. :x

I do agree, it's the best device on the market for the purpose. That doesn't make it good. Just the least bad of a bad set of choices. It's not very satisfying either from the standpoint of a non-technical consumer nor a techie. It's possible to design products that work for both, but this one works well for neither.

Is "deleting the temporary files" from the Java Control Panel the same as "clearing the classloader cache" from within the Java Console?? Honest question, I really don't know.

If the classloader cache is not being cleared, it would explain a number of jtara92101's problems.

Hi clark21236,

As far as the EEPROM, thanks so very much for bringing it up; there's a limit to the number of writes to an EEPROM. This was a heavily requested feature and we implemented it. We will have to educate our users about the ramifications of the usage of this feature.

With kind regards,

Michel

This is what I get when going to the devices tab.

The webpage at http://192.168.168.98/devices might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 320 (net::ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

This is what I get when going to the scenes tab.

The webpage at http://192.168.168.98/scenes might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

And the same thing from the programs tab. The admin console does work though.

I have seen it work when going directly to the webpage http://192.168.168.98/pgms

And it did work on Google Chrome at 2.6.6.

Do you find many products in this price range that can store and swap between a current and prior firmware version? I certainly don't. While it might be a nice feature, I have no problem re-loading prior firmware if necessary - I keep copies of prior releases, and they're also readily available for download.

It's possible to design products that work for both, but this one works well for neither.

That's your opinion, which is fine, but keep in mind that there are plenty of ISY users, both advanced and beginner, who have it working quite well with few or no issues.

Hi again,

Thanks so very much. I have added it as a bug and we shall look into it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi clark21236,

With kind regards,

Michel

This is what I get when going to the devices tab.

The webpage at http://192.168.168.98/devices might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

This is what I get when going to the scenes tab.

The webpage at http://192.168.168.98/scenes might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

And the same thing from the programs tab. The admin console does work though.

I have seen it work when going directly to the webpage http://192.168.168.98/pgms

And it did work on Google Chrome at 2.6.6.

Hi IndyMike,

That's an excellent observation and question. I think that would certainly cause problems. Usually, when you clear your Java cache and if you have all your browser windows closed, the class loader's cache should also be cleared. But, certainly something that we will have to investigate more. Thanks so very much!

With kind regards,

Michel

Is "deleting the temporary files" from the Java Control Panel the same as "clearing the classloader cache" from within the Java Console?? Honest question, I really don't know.

If the classloader cache is not being cleared, it would explain a number of jtara92101's problems.

jtara92101,

I sincerely hope your "rant" was the result of frustration. Your experience with the ISY is unfortunate, but a long way from typical. For most of us, the firmware upgrade process runs flawlessly, every time (my first upgrade was from 2.3 to 2.4). I have never had the need to re-install an earlier version, so I cannot address that issue.

If you browse this forum, you will be hard pressed to find dissatisfaction with Universal Devices or their products. From my observations on the forum, it would seem that most of us feel this is a good product, not "the least bad of a bad set of choices".

Perhaps this is because many of us have had a hand (indirectly) in the product -- contributing suggestions for product enhancement, as well as reporting bugs and verifying their fixes. As time goes by, we see evidence of our input in the product. See how far you get along this line with Smart Home and Insteon products. If you're lucky, they'll acknowledge your email, after a while.

You will not find another manufacturer of any product with the tech support provided by UDI. The response is prompt, and we are listened to. Michel is eager to help, although he wears several hats and is busy with many other matters.

The ISY is just one part of a rather complex system -- the Insteon devices, the PLM, the ISY, noise generators on the power line, and the computer and its OS, for starters. Some problems reported on the forum are the (unknowing) result of difficulties in components other than the ISY. Michel does his best to help us with these, also.

So what do I have to gain by good-mouthing UDI and their ISY? Nothing, except my ISY doing a better job. I would encourage you to stay the course for a while. Between ISY tech support and the forum, you can get all kinds of help. I can assure you that if you have ideas for a better way of doing things, they will be seriously considered.

LG

jtara92101,

Your experience with the ISY is unfortunate, but a long way from typical. For most of us, the firmware upgrade process runs flawlessly, every time (my first upgrade was from 2.3 to 2.4). I have never had the need to re-install an earlier version, so I cannot address that issue.

As is the case with most firmware-based products. 99% of the time, updates go smoothly. How you handle the other 1% can make the difference between an excellent product and a so-so one.

I suppose a home hobbyist is considered a non-critical customer, and an installer would have spares on-hand. I'm used to dealing with equipment used in more critical applications.

Perhaps this is because many of us have had a hand (indirectly) in the product -- contributing suggestions for product enhancement, as well as reporting bugs and verifying their fixes. As time goes by, we see evidence of our input in the product. See how far you get along this line with Smart Home and Insteon products. If you're lucky, they'll acknowledge your email, after a while.

I've noticed that. I came here before I purchased the product, and was impressed with the apparent responsiveness of the company. That just added to my frustration when I received the produced and it was not what I expected.

As far as Insteon goes, I've gotten excellent support from them. Maybe my experience with them is as atypical as it has been with Universal Devices.

So what do I have to gain by good-mouthing UDI and their ISY? Nothing, except my ISY doing a better job. I would encourage you to stay the course for a while. Between ISY tech support and the forum, you can get all kinds of help. I can assure you that if you have ideas for a better way of doing things, they will be seriously considered.

My last post where I made what I thought were some excellent suggestions was deleted with no notice to me. Perhaps this was the wrong board for it, but the appropriate response would have been to move the post or delete it with a request that I re-post on an appropriate board topic.

(FWIW, although I didn't address it directly in that post, I think the biggest limitation is the lack of variables and arithmetic computation. You really have to stand on your head to do things that ought to be simple. OK, I can see ways of having "kinda" variables, but how do you add 2 + 2? You don't.)

In the same post, I also acknowledged that some of my initial assumptions were wrong. But, with the post deleted, I am left looking like a jerk.

I really think it's pretty low to accuse a customer of spreading mis-information, and then clip-out their response correcting previous statements.

Surprise me, and let this post stand. I'll shut up on the subject.

I to am getting the "Invalid Request and wrong version information" errors. Just got the device tonight and had frequent "request failed" errors when creating scenes, approx. 50% of time. So I download the latest firmware and installed. Now I'm at the same state as jtara92101.

Version Info now show my device as ISY 26 and getting Invalid Request and Wrong Version errors when try to update firmware. :cry:

Please post resolution as soon as possible.

Wifey not happy with me lights tonight. :shock:

My last post where I made what I thought were some excellent suggestions was deleted with no notice to me. Perhaps this was the wrong board for it, but the appropriate response would have been to move the post or delete it with a request that I re-post on an appropriate board topic.

I really think it's pretty low to accuse a customer of spreading mis-information, and then clip-out their response correcting previous statements.

jtara92101,

NO POSTS ARE EVER DELETED FROM THIS FORUM. NEITHER YOURS NOR ANYONE ELSE'S. Darrell and I are the only ones in charge of this forum and we never ever delete posts (once by accident but the author was immediately informed and it was reposted). If you have a copy (even if it's reconstruction of whatever you think you had posted) please DO POST IT AGAIN.

Michel

boots,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Please do be kind enough to immediately contact our support (support@universal-devices.com) so that we can logon remotely and find out where the problems are originating from.

As far as frequent request failures, in our experience, these are mostly related to noise on the powerline.

With kind regards,

Michel

I to am getting the "Invalid Request and wrong version information" errors. Just got the device tonight and had frequent "request failed" errors when creating scenes, approx. 50% of time. So I download the latest firmware and installed. Now I'm at the same state as jtara92101.

Version Info now show my device as ISY 26 and getting Invalid Request and Wrong Version errors when try to update firmware. :cry:

Please post resolution as soon as possible.

Wifey not happy with me lights tonight. :shock:

My device was back up this morning with the correct firmware, not sure what changed from last night. All I did was check the router to make sure the IP had not changed for the ISY-99, then when I went back into the device, it not only accepted my login without error, the firmware version was correct. Wonder if a port was being block by the firewall and opened after a timeout period. I'll have to create rule to make sure that does not happen again.

For the request failures, I will move the PLM around the house to see if I can get better connections to the switches. What device are people using to clean the line noise?

Thanks

For the request failures, I will move the PLM around the house to see if I can get better connections to the switches. What device are people using to clean the line noise?

Hey Boots -

FilterLincs are good at filtering noisy devices if you can figure out the source of your issues.

- What version PLM are you running?

- Do you have a pair of AccessPoints installed on opposite legs in your home?

- How many Insteon devices do you have?

I to am getting the "Invalid Request and wrong version information" errors... I download the latest firmware and installed. Now I'm at the same state as jtara92101.

Version Info now show my device as ISY 26 and getting Invalid Request and Wrong Version errors when try to update firmware.

My device was back up this morning with the correct firmware, not sure what changed from last night. All I did was check the router to make sure the IP had not changed for the ISY-99, then when I went back into the device, it not only accepted my login without error, the firmware version was correct. Wonder if a port was being block by the firewall and opened after a timeout period. I'll have to create rule to make sure that does not happen again.

Hello Boots,

May I ask whether, after you performed the upgrade, you cleared your Java cache before opening the Administrative Console? [Please note that the Java cache will not be cleared if any browsers are running--all browsers must be closed for the cache to be cleared.]

Thanks so much.

May I ask whether, after you performed the upgrade, you cleared your Java cache before opening the Administrative Console? [Please note that the Java cache will not be cleared if any browsers are running--all browsers must be closed for the cache to be cleared.]

Thanks so much.

I have been clearing cache several times yes.

Hey Boots -

FilterLincs are good at filtering noisy devices if you can figure out the source of your issues.

- What version PLM are you running?

- Do you have a pair of AccessPoints installed on opposite legs in your home?

- How many Insteon devices do you have?

-PLM firmware v52.

-Yes I am running two access points.

-I have 20 devices installed.

I was only getting the request failed error on one switch, this device is also a new Insteon switch that I replaced at the same time as the Universal Device ISY-99, it was a switch 2476D v4.0. It does work when I pulled it away from the wall housing, so I'm thinking its the reliability of the switch. I replaced the switch with another v3.3 I had laying around and everything is fine now. So for the time being I'm going to write this off as a switch issue. I may look into the filterlincs that may help reliability if another switch acts up, but nothing has yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

2.6.6 worked in Google Chrome, and have not had luck in 2.6.7 with Google Chrome.

Just a question about the new adjust scene level feature. If I understand it correctly, the sample program is writing parameters to the actual device.

Isn't this a bad thing to keep doing? All of these devices have their info stored in EEPROM. And isn't there a write limit on the EEPROM's in these devices?

I work in the energy management field, and this was an important thing to remember about particular points in our controllers. An errant program could actually wipe out an EEPROM with excessive writes.

These newer EEPROM's are probably much better than the stuff we used in these older controllers, but just thought I'd check anyway.

Early EEPROMS had a limit of 10,000 read/write cycles but more modern parts are typically rated at 100,000 or even a million cycles. So I doubt this would be a big concern for a typical scenario where scene parameters are modified only a couple of times every day by a properly designed (and tested) program.

-Jim

I finally got around upgrading my ISY26 from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7 and had numerous programs fail.

After clearing the Java cache; power cycling both the ISY26 and the PLM; and turning off and on the daylight savings check box (the sunset/sunrise times were not incorrect, I think most of the programs now work (I've not tested each and every one under all conditions).

The upgrade changed the ramp rate on my two LampLincs from 30 secs to 9 minutes. I wasn't expecting that!

None of the Insteon Device "On" buttons work from either the web page or the AC. Pressing an "On" button causes RX and PLM LED blinks, but no Events are recorded in the viewer on level 1. The other buttons, Fast On, Off, etc. seem to work fine. The "On" button works for scenes, but I only have two so I almost missed this.

Note on Level 2, an "On" button press only gives:

2008/09/22 10:18:15 : [iNST-ACK ] 02 62 04.88.1E 0F 11 00 06 LTONRR (00)

2008/09/22 10:18:16 : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 04.88.1E 05.E8.F8 2B 11 00 LTONRR (00)

Good to see 2.6.7 can now manage all buttons on a KPL Timer as responders. When will the functionality be added to have the ISY manage all the KPL Timer buttons as Controllers? I currently need to manually program the KPL Timer buttons as Controllers as ISY only supports them as responders.

Archived