cannot communicate with xxx

cowboyzx6

Thanks for the explanation on the battery devices.

As for the 4 tap set test, I out the PLM into this mode. The closest switch blinked green. Two switches didn't flash at all. The garage unit also didn't flash. One switch blinked red. What does the one blinking red mean?

I have the PLM and ISY installed for several weeks. The initial setup went with issues.

One interesting action I have noticed, is that if the switch is physically activated, the MobiLinc app and web ui update correctly. Although neither if these can be used to control the devices. Red exclamations still are displayed in the administrative app.

????

Blinking green indicates that the two device are on opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. that's what you want. Red indicates that the devices are on the same leg and no indication means that the devices cannot communcate using RF (e.g., out-of-range).

Theoretically, so long as at least one green response from a dual band device, you should be good. I don't expect the one red responding device to be an issue.

You may want to initiate the test from another device and see if the plm responds.

If you want more than one device to respond, you need to use a scene or program.

The point is the MobiLinc app and web ui do not activate the insteon switches but the programs still work and the physical actions are updated on the app and web ui. I find this strange since it should be bi directional.

So...it sounds as if the ISY is hearing signals, but is having trouble transmitting. What other devices are plugged into the same outlet and circuit that powers the PLM?

The cable modem.  The cable modem, 8-port router (non-wifi), PLM and ISY are located together.  The Cable modem and PLM are in one outlet and the 8-port and ISY are in another.  Would putting the cable modem onto a power surge protector help?  keeping the PLM directly into the outlet?

The big question is, how does one know when the PLM is bad?

Putting the cable modem on a surge suppressor may actually hurt.

Am unsure if the modem and router put out enough noise or otherwise contribute to signal problems, but I consider the PLM of paramount importance, worthy of effort to provide a clean circuit.

I would consider an experiment...temporarily get an extension cord. Plug it into another outlet on another circuit. Into the extension cord plug the plm. Does this restore mobilinc control, or control from the admin panel?

Completed the experiment:

Previous results of the PLM  and the 4 tap results are as follows:

basememt - blinking green

workshop - blinking red

front - solid white

deck - soild white

Using an extension cord, the PLM was then plugged into the bedroom and the 4 tap results are as follows:

basememt - blinking red

workshop - blinking green

front - solid white

deck - blinking green

Admin panel is not updating, nor is the web UI or mobilinc app when the switches are physically operated.  The basement switch does not update, this is the switch that blinked red during the 4 tap test.

Observation, the PLM is beeping slowly, about 2 seconds between beeps... The original 4 tap test, the beeping frequency was higher, about 1Hz.  I seem to be leaning towards a faulty PLM... thoughts?

Certainly possible. I am on my second PLM.

One could try to restore the PLM or individual devices, checking link table on selected devices and how they compare to the ISY records for the same device. At this point, it sounds as if the ISY is not even seeing device communication. If it is not a bad plm, corrupt link records can cause symptoms such as these.

Archived