Everything working for 3 years - now several comm issues

Hi - I have an ISY-994i with several switches, outlets, and keypads - along with some simple programs.  Everything has been working fine for 3 years.  Now, I have had some issues with my TWC Internet and had a network switch fail, which I replaced with a new switch.  When TWC reset my modem and I replaced one switch (with a temporary switch), for some reason I started having communication issues using the Admin interface and could not connect externally using ekISY.  I upgraded the ISY firmware (I was on a much older version), did a File/Restore Devices - and everything seemed to be ok again.

Then I replaced the temp switch with a new one, rebooted system and now am having communication issues with a couple outlets and one keypad.  I have done a File/Restore.  I unplugged PLM and ISY to reboot.

Problems:

1) one outlet (2473) keeps losing communication.  I can Restore Device and it comes online for a while, then drops off.

2) one keypad (2487S) has completely stopped working.  I have done a factory reset but can't reconnect it to the ISY.  ISY Admin panel shows it to be connected, but I have no control and even prssing buttons on the Keypad just causes it to beep - no control manually of the lights.

3) can't connect externally with ek ISY - Error -9801.

I am searching for solutions, any troubleshooting or other help is much appreciated.

Sounds like several things going on

Losing external communications is explained by twc replacing a cable modem / router.

I'm wondering if you had a nearby lightning strike or power surge as the root cause of all of this? That would explain multiple technology snafus at the same time. Especially PLMs, they are very touchy about power line spikes.

Have you lost a TV, appliance or anything else electrical around this same time?

Paul

Thanks for the reply.  I have not lost any other appliances or other devices.  Aside from having sporadic internet loss (internal network stays operational), everything else seems ok. The TWC modem and support is very difficult to deal with.  I am working on their forum to see if I can confirm my modem settings are correct.

Wow - a confluence of events. 

The ek ISY app issue is completely unrelated to my issue, just happened at the same time.  They let me know that the ISY firmware upgrade caused a problem with the app and they are rolliing out a fix via Apple soon! 

May be in the clear, now I will see if any other Inteon devices lose connectivity.

John-

Yes, partially. When you attach from the internet to your ISY, the router has to "know" which of your lan computers (ISY) to attach to. Typically when you set up the ISY, you set the "Enable internet access" on the file menu of your console and this sets up routers that can be set up automatically.

If you replaced the router, that configuration left with your old router. If you got a new router, I think you would want to disable internet access on the ISY, and then reenable it. The re-enabling will program the new router. 

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Remotely_Connect_to_Your_ISY

Another thing that could need to be addressed here is how you access your isy remotely. Do you use and IP address, or a domain name ( in your console software to get to your ISY?

If you use an ip address, that address most likely changed with the new router. Disabling/Enabling internet access should give you the new address to use.

Thanks again - Sorry if I was not clear, I did not change my router (but did reset it).  Nonetheless, I will double check the settings with your link. 

On the second question, I have a dynamic DNS name server /domain name (I think that's what it's called) for external access.  It's setup and maintained in my router and with the service.

John, ok that sounds good. that's how I do it , and its out of the router too.  The router reset should have re-initiated the dyndns client and changed the ip. Given everything that's happened to you, you will want to make sure that your dyndns is resolving to your new external address.

Paul

Archived