FanLinc Question - 3 load

doubleshot

The purpose of a FanLinc is to be able to remotely control lights and fan speeds. Chances are pretty good that users have achieved that goal. If you mean simultaneous control of multiple fans and lights using one FanLinc, then that's also possible as long you don't exceed the rated capacity of the FanLinc. OTOH, if you mean controlling the up lights and down lights independently, then  you'll need more that just a Fanlinc.

The Fanlinc is designed to control 1 fan and 1 light.  As Stu pointed out above , you could run multiple fans or lights in parallel as long as you stay within the rating of the Fanlinc.  You cannot control multiple lights independently.  You could add a micro dimmer along side the Fanlinc for the second light as long as there is room in the canopy.  With proper programming, nobody would know there are 2 separate modules doing the work.

-Xathros

Xathros, 

That's a great idea, I didn't think about just doing a micro for the secondary light. I didn't want to lose the functionality of controlling the different sets of lights that are on the fan as they provide different lighting effects. 

Thanks! 

That's an ideal use for an 8-button KPL. Fan control (4 buttons) , individual plus simultaneous control of the up and down lights (3 buttons) and even a button left over.

Much depends, too, on the wiring. I cannot help but wonder how the current rmote is wired, and how easy it will be to separate the current remote from the fan, and to identify and access the direct wiring for the fan and individual lights.

it's a custom savoy remote, they were put in by the previous home owners and fit the bill if you weren't doing automation, but they require RF, and there's no converter for them (though that'd be the BEST! way for me to deal, instead of having to replace with 12 new devices). Basically from the box there's just a normal setup like a light (no additional wires), to a control box that gets signals from the remote. 

was trying to find an install guide but no luck:

http://www.savoyhouse.com/Hand-Held-Fan-Control-RMT006.html

Easy. Replace the original receiver with the FanLinc. It looks like a direct swap, with the fan's blue wire being the light and the black wire being the fan motor. Basically, follow Figure 12 with the exception that the box labelled LIGHT [    ] FAN is now the FanLinc. The FanLinc also gets a neutral wire in addition to line.

looks that way, i think i'm going to add a micro dimmer to control the secondary light (these fans have two light fixtures, an uplight and downlight). should be enough room, i'll let y'all know how it goes once i get the first one ordered. still going through and replacing dimmer switches at the moment, fans are next. 

Archived