What are peoples favourite Control Apps for ISY?

Scyto

Mobilinc HD.  On both an iphone 5s and ipad.  Not a perfect solution (what software is), but from my research in these forums it is about the best there is.  

The iphone quirks I've seen are flaky geofencing which may be more of an issue with my particular wifi-cell phone topology than with the program.  

Also, when the phone transitions from wifi to cell connection, there is a definite lag in connection.  This really effects the garage door operation more than anything.  I can sit at the end of my driveway (middle the transition area) and it takes about 2 minutes for it to make up its mind how it wants to connect.  It is about a 100 foot dead-band area.  The Mobilinc Connect option may address these, but I don't want yet another monthly subscription cost to deal with.

The ipad quirk is the icons for the insteon devices can't be changed.  Even though you can go through the motions to change an icon to something relevant to the device, it doesn't stick and defaults back to the standard switchlinc icon.  So garage doors, ceiling fans, outdoor lights etc all look like switchlincs.  Not a big deal, just annoying.  Maybe there is a fix for this I do not know about.  Really pretty graphics though.

They also have pretty good support, from what I hear.

@chrishick That's very nice!

I now exclusively use Tasker, and have custom scenes setup to display status and present a UI. I've spent no time on custom graphics (yet!) but I see now that I must. Perhaps over the holiday!

All graphics are custom I did them in Photoshop. You set the text color using conditional logic within iRule. If you're not familiar with photoshop and computer programming then it may not be for you.

I did not think if the conditional usage to change text color. Great idea. Are the rest just buttons? The isy add in graphics are static and not changeable I thought. Programming does not scare me :)

I did not think if the conditional usage to change text color. Great idea. Are the rest just buttons? The isy add in graphics are static and not changeable I thought. Programming does not scare me :)

If "isy add in graphics" means the ISY add on module that you purchase, don't bother. Very limited functionality and you are right, I don't think you can change the graphics. Total waste of money.

To change button images you must use a variable to hold the button image name.

If A=B

then $button1image$ = XXX

else $button1image$ = YYY

Then on the button properties you just set the button image name to = $button1image$

You do pretty much the same thing to change text colors. The only bad part is you have to set up an entrance to each page to poll the ISY and set the variables. I have my entrances set to repeat every 2 seconds so everything gets refreshed whenever anything changes. Not quite real time, but close enough. I understand iRule "might" be able to subscribe to the ISY via soap and then state changes get pushed to iRule and then you wouldn't need to poll the isy at all. Apparently doable, but I have not figured it out yet.

chrishick-

I am following this thread wit great interest.  I use iRule to control some of my AV gear right now and do plan to expand to the ISY.  This has got me very interested.

-Xathros

I have long been delaying my implementation of a user friendly interface.  I bought Roomie years ago but found it so cumbersome for ISY (it loads SO many objects by default) that I didn't do much with it.  Ideally I would like to mount touch screens in key locations, and have voice control.  I also wanted to be able to incorporate media control.  I initially implemented a Apple-friendly solution for my wife will tinkering with more advanced options for myself.

I set up a SiriProxy server on an Ubuntu VM with ElvisImpersnator's guidelines last year but SiriProxy got killed off before I got too far along.

I have bought single units of all kinds of devices to tinker with, but have not commited to any platform.  I have a kindle, a nook, an ipad 3, ipad mini, iphones, android phone, windows phones, a bunch of windows PCs, a Mac Mini, an apple tv, an airport express, a roku3, ceton echo, windows media box with hd tuner, several logitech remotes (a couple with RF hubs), global cache wired and wifi IR devices, the ISY, a windows homeserver with iTunes running 24/7.  Oh, and 70-80 insteon devices.  Lots of options.  I have been looking at CAI. Arduino and RaspberryPi for tinkering as well, but have not had a project to buy one.  Maybe for window blind control some day.

I was hoping that Microsoft would actually produce an interface since they are so committed to the smart home.  But I have not seen anything.  Apple HomeKit looks to be only for an entirely new ecosystem... so shoot the early adopters in the face, shall we?

I have been eyeing the Dell XPS 18 as a nice fully functional PC in a giant touch screen format that I could mount in a picture frame to look like a digital photo viewer when not in use as a controller.  I just have not seen good windows software to put on it.  I'd like to run it in a kiosk mode.

To sum up these random thoughts, I was wondering what those who have gone down this road would recommend?  I am okay with having two solutions, but don't want to have to maintain a whole bunch of different configurations.  Thoughts?

I believe you have to buy the advanced version in order to receive feedback from your devices and be able to use variables.

The programming and design uses a web based editor. The actual app itself is not cloud based and only connects to Irule to download the design the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I completely control my ISY from several iPads and an iPhone. I looked at iRule when it first appeared but dropped as soon as I learned about CommandFusion. The advantage of CommandFusion is a full Javascript engine for handling feedback, and performing extensive logic.

My system involves 5 wall mounted iPads and one iPhone. All capabilities of the ISY are handled using the REST interface for commands, and ISY subscription services for feedback. I started my working career as a professional programmer in 1960 so I have been around a while. I am now retired (for over 10 years) so my time is my own. My original HA world started with X10 and Homeseer in 2000. It is still running controlling my security system. If/when I change my security system to an ELK based one, Homeseer will disappear. Anyone want to buy a lot of X10 stuff? 8)

The iPads in each room just run a CommandFusion app I wrote. It is always active. Double tap the screen and immediately the apps home screen comes up kiosk style. The double tap is needed as I run with the iPads backlight turned off. I control all of the Insteon devices and two Nexia/Trane thermostats with complete feedback and asynchronous notification to all the iPads of any change to any device's state(s). My web site "the-gordons.net" has a lot more info on the automation of my home, and my Home Theater. I have been doing the HA thing since we built the house in 1998. The ISY has 99 unique devices, 103 scenes, 37 programs and 19 network resources.  I only use the ISY Admin Console when I install a new device or want to add a new program or scene.

• 1 year later...

@chrishick That's very nice!

I now exclusively use Tasker, and have custom scenes setup to display status and present a UI. I've spent no time on custom graphics (yet!) but I see now that I must. Perhaps over the holiday!

Mike, can you send us a screen shot of what Tasker looks like?

Thanks.

Archived