Help getting started with my new (to me) ISy-994i/IR-PRO

tycoonbob

Hi all.

Long story short, I helped a guy out with something, and in return he gave me this device (he knew I was looking to revamp my HA setup).  So he couldn't tell me much about the device, since he didn't do much with it.  He gave me the device, 2 Cat5e cables, and the power adapter.  No Insteon PLM.  

I opened the device up and to my surprise I find what I think is the Z-Wave module (which I need, since all I have at this time is Z-Wave).  Is this the Z-Wave module?  I notice mine has a mini-USB port which I didn't see on the Z-Wave module wiki post..

EPQ0H67.jpg

So the problem I'm facing is that when I plug in the device to power, the Error light keeps flashing.  According to the manual, this means a file system error.  I took out the SD card (1GB microSD), dd wiped it, and popped it back in.  Still blinks, but makes sense now.  Problem is, the device is not pulling DHCP.  If I plug a different device into that switch port, DHCP is pulling.  For this device, it is not.  So because of this, I can't access the UI to configure any of it.

Any ideas?  I see a microUSB port labeled "monitor"; can this be used somehow to set a static IP?

Lastly, is there any problem with me wanting to run this without the Insteon PLM?  For now, Z-Wave is all I care about.  If I add Insteon devices later, I have no problem buying the PLM.

Thanks!

1. If you wiped the SD card there is no OS to operate you will need to follow the Wiki to install it. http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Restarting_Your_ISY-99i

2. If you do not have a PLM you will follow the firmware update page and it tells you which one to use (without a PLM) this will allow you to connect to the device with out it going into safe mode which is why its crying and won't come up. http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/14926-release-4221-rc1-is-now-avaialble/

3. If the Z-Wave card was never installed you have several steps to complete after you first complete step 1 / 2. You will need to go to purchase modules in this case the Z-Wave one and pay the $1.00 to activate the internal Z-Wave module program.

Hello tycoonbob,

From what I see in the picture, what you have looks like an engineering sample and not our production Z-Wave dongle. i am not at all sure who this guy is/was but it's definitely not a production unit. I wouldn't even dare say that it may work since it probably has a very old boot loader which does not allow certain functions. 

For the rest of your questions, Teken is right on!

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived