Where to put the noise filter?

khisanthax

I imagine I have a basic home theater setup: surround sound receiver, camera system, converter box, router, nas drive, tv and a pc connected to two power strip connected to a ups.

I get intermittent devices not working usually the same two or three wall switches. If I move the isy and plm I usually get worse results. Where inthechain should I place a noise filter for insteon? And because so much is plugged in near each other will i need more than one?

The noise filter will block signals to everything behind it, and not let any noise or signal come back through it to the powerline.

So you'll want noisy things plugged into the filter(s) and then filters plugged into wall (or ISY modules), like this:

Powerline -> Insteon filter -> your home theater device(s)

This gives 2 limitations:

1) you want certain insteon modules to control certain devices. If that device is a noise source, you need a separate filter for it

2) Filters have amperage limits, like 10amps. I don't think your Home Theater Gear will get close to that, but make sure

You may not need filters for each component. You may want to experiment before buying, trying different combinations of plugging in or turning on devices to see which ones cause the problems, then just get filters for them.

Paul

Edited by paulbates

Our home theater uses an ACT AF 120 filter which supports up to 15 amps. Because the subwoofer is controlled by a SynchroLinc, the subwoofer has a separate filter.

Powerline > SynchroLinc > Insteon FilterLinc > subwoofer

Make sure the filter is not a generic one but one designed for Insteon or X10.

Some generic filters absorb power line signals as noise.

UPS AC Input Filters are a common problem with both Insteon and X10.

I have a 10 amp Filterlinc on my UPS and the PLM for my ISY994i in the pass through unfiltered outlet on the front of the Filterlinc.

Act makes a 15 amp AF120 if you have a load between 10 and 15 amps. As Stu pointed out.

Some electronic devices have to be unpluged as just Off keeps their power supply still on the AC power lines to cause issues.

Edited by Brian H

I have a 10 amp Filterlinc on my UPS and the PLM for my ISY994i in the pass through unfiltered outlet on the front of the Filterlinc.

Is it okay to put two wall wart type insteon devices on top of each other? I've been avoiding it thinking the aggregate heat would shorten both their lives, and especially the already problematic PLM with cheap caps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been stacking Insteon devices for years. I place the one that will run the warmest furthest away from the wall. You can also insert a triple-tap between the devices as a spacer.

In my case. The Filterlinc is all passive components and no added heat. So the PLM isn't getting any added heat from the Filterlinc.

I have two early hardware 1.3 2456S3 ApplianceLincs stacked and yes the bottom one gets quite warm.

From late 2005 one or two may have gotten flaky. I have replaced the main filter capacitor in all of them. As there seems to be a fair amount of ripple current through them and they get warm.

I've been stacking Insteon devices for years. I place the one that will run the warmest furthest away from the wall. You can also insert a triple-tap between the devices as a spacer.

You do this because you have limited space and room? Or is there another reason for stacking devices?

I have never understood why this is done in a home when a power strip would be a much better option.

I know a few people have stacked AP units to devices not dual band in hopes of getting better COM's. But that is really a band aid to a noise issue or signal sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesthetics, mostly. Most power strips have 5 or 6 outlets with parallel line and neutral slots down the length, so only one FilterLinc or SynchroLinc or ApplianceLinc or LampLinc fits. And it's a handy place for a BuzzLinc in any room that already has a device with a pass-through outlet. The BuzzLincs respond to the opening of the walkway or driveway gate.

Some newer devices don't have pass-through outlets and are smaller. That's aesthetic, too B)

So from what I read the filter cause between the powerline and the device.  In my case I'm not trying to control appliances, yet, just the lights in the room with the wall switch insteon controller.  So, where my av and networking equipment I just plug it into the wall and plug the ups into the filter with all the devices plugged into the ups?  The subwoofer, not a powerful one, is likewise plugged into the ups.

The only appliance problem I had was with a powerlinc connected to a monitor.  When they were plugged into a power strips behind the ups none of the switchlincs were getting signals.

So from what I read the filter cause between the powerline and the device.  In my case I'm not trying to control appliances, yet, just the lights in the room with the wall switch insteon controller.  So, where my av and networking equipment I just plug it into the wall and plug the ups into the filter with all the devices plugged into the ups?  The subwoofer, not a powerful one, is likewise plugged into the ups.

Yes, but make sure to use a filter that has enough amp support for all of your gear, stu and others have documented some. Otherwise the filters will blow fuses

The only appliance problem I had was with a powerlinc connected to a monitor.  When they were plugged into a power strips behind the ups none of the switchlincs were getting signals.

I'm not sure I understand your setup enough. Is your powerlinc modem behind the UPS, powerstrips and/or monitor? These devices can "blind" the powerlinc. You won't need the powerlinc behind the UPS as there is nothing to control if the power to your house goes out.

If possible move the powerlinc further away from this gear and straight into the wall. I know this is tough if you have a ISY IR version.

Paul

Edited by paulbates

'm sorry I meant appliancelinc not powerlinc. I was thinking of putting the filter on the wall outlet and then put the ups with two power strips and all the devices connected to the two power strips. If any insteon devices go after the filter will it mess with communications?