Insteon Feature Options Support (POLL)

Teken

Support All Feature Options  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see all feature (options) available for Insteon products

• Yes, I would like to see every feature option made available for all products.
    • No, I like what I have and see now.
  2. 2. Should all legacy Insteon devices continued to be supported?

• Yes, of course as there are lots of older installs out there.
    • Yes, there are still older products on the market that are NOS.
    • No, lets all move on to the new gear and leave everybody else behind.
  3. 3. Should the 2457D2 options be made available?

• Yes, absolutely that is why the features were created in the first place.
    • No, I like what I have now and it works perfectly.

Whatever mechanism is chosen needs to be able to have the commands issued from within programs since some of the extended features aren't necessarily set once items (e.g., beeping).  This also means that the device address itself should be the name the device has within the UI and not the underlying numeric address since the latter would change in the case of device replacement.  Some of the discussion here seems (perhaps not but just the wording) to assume a one time model of the user actually issuing a command from a special menu in the admin console.  IO don't think that would be really quite enough.

I have been approaching this as a manual send a command process.  It could however be implemented similar to a network resource where you build and save the command resource then execute the resource from within a program or manually by clicking a "Test" button on the resource editor.  That also fits well with the add on module model.

I like it!

-Xathros

Nooooooooooooooo.

Scope creep. Commands such as beep are already supported in programs.

With kind regards,

Michel

Beep is supported in programs, however, the ability to Enable/Disable the beep is not, nor is the ability to change many (any?) of the other device options and I believe that is what kck is getting at here.

-Xathros

• 4 months later...

110 what?  i thought i gave you the one and only important thing to work on - blinds and drapes integrated into the isy

i'd say michel's judgment on what is important to work on has served him well

successful business people are successful for a lot of reasons - one is that they don't take advice from people that are less successful in business

nothing wrong with us expressing our wish list - but my guess is that michel bases his decisions on more than polls

Hello everyone,

I want to confirm that some of these are already included in 5.0 including beep and program lock (4.3.1 for KPL and SWL).

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel,

I just went through and Program Locked my entire house :)  It's such a useful feature I'd suggest making it the default on adding a new device to the ISY (or at least an obvious checkbox like "control this device exclusively with ISY").  I imagine most everyone with an ISY wants to make sure all links are handled from the ISY, so something to consider.

As I was making my way through I did notice that the on/off SWL 2477S (as opposed to dimmers, 2477D) don't yet have the options button in 5.0.  It'd be great if they could be included as well.

Please support HomeKit in 5.0

Otherwise, I've really enjoyed the current feature set. My only gripe so far is that my ceiling fan controller loses its connection almost daily and having to bring out the 12' ladder to get up there is a total pain in the butt. Maybe if there was a way to get signal strength reports? I have a Serial PLM, 2 Range Extenders, and ISY 994i Pro w/ IR zWave

Please support HomeKit in 5.0

Otherwise, I've really enjoyed the current feature set. My only gripe so far is that my ceiling fan controller loses its connection almost daily and having to bring out the 12' ladder to get up there is a total pain in the butt. Maybe if there was a way to get signal strength reports? I have a Serial PLM, 2 Range Extenders, and ISY 994i Pro w/ IR zWave

I have 7 FanLincs and not a single problem with any of them.
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to update this thread since the developer notes were released last year. I found that various devices depending upon hardware / firmware now support features or options not known before.

It would be great if these options were incorporated into future ISY firmware releases. This would allow the end user to adjust the devices to their specific use case and needs.

LED Linc / Bulb Linc: http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2672-222dev-052014-en.pdf

1. Power On State: This device has the ability to set the power up status of either last known state or full on. I was never aware this was an option and always assumed it was one or the other. Its obvious the engineers have thought about this and decided to leave it up to the developer to select one or the other.

The option to select either one should be provided to the end user. Those who live in power prone areas where glitches are present will appreciate having the option of enabling the last known state vs full on.

2. Signal/Noise Failure Count: The above example device 11 22 33 is sent a command that asks it for its Signal/Noise Failure Count (Command 1 = 0x1F, Command 2 = 0x03). Device 11 22 33 then responds back with its Signal/Noise Failure Count (0x4F). This means that device 11 22 33 has seen 79 Signal/Noise Errors since its last power cycle.

3. CRC Error Count: This command asks the device for its current CRC Error Count. The CRC Error Count increments with every CRC Error it hears. The CRC Error Count resets on power cycle and the count will wrap back to zero after reaching 255(0xFF) errors.

I believe the two above diagnostics should be made available in some fashion. In my opinion it would provide another layer of diagnostics which is seriously lacking when compared to HL2 software. Having hard stats with a numerical value is invaluable for those trying to trouble shoot a large Insteon install.

Open Close / Trigger Linc: http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2843-222dev-102013-en.pdf

1. LED Brightness: It appears this device has the ability to adjust the LED brightness. Having this option would help those extend the battery life in those cases where a lithium cell is not in use. Or where higher viability is / is not required.

2. Stay Awake: Having the ability to set this option would allow remote updates as seen on the MS. Having this option visible to the end user as a option box is critical. As many times I have seen where a default state was not in fact enabled when it was thought to be. Sometimes hard resetting the device still does not enable the default state so having the ability to select the stay awake for the purpose of remote update would prove very helpful.

3. Data Base Delta: This command asks the device for its current Database Delta Number. The Database Delta increments with any database write. The Database Delta is cleared on power cycle. I am unsure exactly what this serves but having more information is always better in my eyes.

I am assuming it confirms the data base is being written to? If so it would help confirm if a device is accepting and writing to the EEPROM and logs how many times it has happen. This seems to me like a worthy diagnostic tool to track stats on a device and help trouble shoot, no?

This same information is stated for what I gather all battery operated devices such as the Leak Sensor: http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2852-222dev-102013-en.pdf

Lamp Linc:

1. LED Brightness: This option is still not available in the Admin Console.

2. Beep: This option is still not available in the Admin Console. There is no method to hear a beep when local buttons are pressed.

3. Program Lock: This option is still not available in the Admin Console.

4. RF / Power line: Not sure if this feature is present because its not available to view?

5. Smarthops: Not sure if this feature is present because its not available to view?

6. LED Insteon Traffic: There is no method to turn this feature off. So the unit flickers when Insteon traffic is present.

On / Off Module / Applianc Linc: http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2635-222dev-072013-en.pdf

1. It was noted on page 8 of the developer page that X-10 could be enabled / disabled?? I think guys like Brian H who have resisted in purchasing this unit might be happy to know (some) units may have the X-10 feature and it simply needs to be enabled via access.

Dual Outlet Linc: http://cache.insteon.com/developer/2663-222dev-062014-en.pdf

1. It was noted on page 60 of the developer page that X-10 could be enabled / disabled?? I think guys like Brian H who have resisted in purchasing this unit might be happy to know (some) units may have the X-10 feature and it simply needs to be enabled via access.

What is interesting is this device was released during the complete phase out of X-10? The sales advert makes no mention X-10 is even present. It has been speculated many Insteon products do in fact have X-10 inside but the bit is simply turned off?

Why?

post-1970-0-25443400-1436456552_thumb.png

• 7 months later...

I wanted to add some realities that I've come across when it comes to the LampLinc Dimmer Dual-Band #2475D2 R3.6

Load Sense works YAH!!!

The document way of doing Local Programing doesn't work, and has been acknowledge by SmartHome / Insteon support.  It's been two days and I still don't have an answer back from SmartHome, there is no way to adjust the LED brightness.  The local programming flow chart available on their website doesn't work.

I was so hopeful that I would be able to set the options for the LampLinc, like I can with the 2635-222.  In speaking with a tech at SmartHome he was surprised that the ISY 994i device didn't have the options button to make these changes.  He's the one who is trying to run down the engineering team to figure out how to turn off the LED using local programming.

Any chance ISY will make a choice to give the option to send/change option codes manually for a device?  What's the worse thing that could happen, I have to factory reset the Insteon device.

Thank you for any replies, I do love the ISY994 device with the PLM.

-Todd

Good afternoon Michel,

If you click on a insteon device, specifically a 2635-222 you'll see an options button at the bottom of the admin.jps application.  Between the Fast Off and the LED Brightness.  Both the options and the LED brightness is missing for the B2457D2 device.

I think this might be a mute issue, speaking with Smarthome/Insteon today on the phone they said the plugin device doesn't have that feature anymore/never did.  You can't do it via local programming.  So if you want to turn the LED light off on a lamplinc duct tape is the option.  Honestly, I'm not surprised, they also just added load sensing back in for rev 3.6 and newer for lamplinc.  Seems like a race to the bottom to me, I don't blame ISY for your position, the tech insteon tried using the insteon hub, and he said there wasn't an option in their to switch off the LED using their own hardware.

I'm wondering if I should dump Insteon, I've already spent ~$650 on devices and PLM with plans to do much more.  (Not to hijack the thread, but I'm open for suggestions)

-Todd

Archived