ThinkEco Modlet support (POLL)

GuitarBuilder

ThinkEco Modlet Support  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should UDI include ThinkEco Zigbee Modlet support with ISY?

• Yes - I believe ISY should be able to monitor and control ThinkEco Modlets
    • Maybe - I might want to install and control ThinkEco Modlets in the future
    • No - I don't care about ThinkEco products

ThinkEco produces the Modlet, an advanced alternative to the Insteon on/off modules and outlets.  Its main advantages are independent energy monitoring and on/off control for each outlet (Insteon does control for one only, no energy monitoring.  Energy data is collected every minute and can be plotted over a variety of time scales.  Communication is via Zigbee in a mesh network; ThinkEco offers an Ethernet gateway for data access and device control, as well as iOS apps.  There is no service charge.

I've been evaluating 20 Modlets in my home over the past 2 years; the performance and data is fantastic.  We are on a Demand Response program (voluntary) and have been able to save a lot of money by getting a clear understanding of hourly profiles of all plug loads in our home from the ThinkEco data.  If you're interested in understanding and controlling your energy use, there is no better system than this.

I also have a large number of Insteon devices, all controlled by ISY.  It would only seem logical to have all devices monitored and controlled by ISY instead of having multiple gateways and interfaces.

ThinkEco has offered to make its API available to others - I spoke with Michel about it and he suggested a poll to gauge the interest level, so here it is! 

For more information, see the ThinkEco website at http://www.thinkecoinc.com/.  Modlet info can be found here http://www.thinkecoinc.com/products/the-modlet/.

Please vote!

BTW - I am in no way affiliated with ThinkEco!

Hi GuitarBuilder,

As per our conversation this poll was supposed to be for ThinkEco support and that device only. I am not at all certain why it's morphed into a be all end all integration with 3rd party Zigbee energy monitoring products.

Wounder you be kind enough to change the question to reflect our conversation?

With kind regards,

Michel

This product has an interesting business model.  If you opt in to your data being shared, the product is $50, but if you opt out, it's $139.

Mike - Could you elaborate on what you mean by "data being shared"?  Are you referring to the enterprise solution where employees can see their individual data?  I am not aware of any opting in or out otherwise for residential users.

Over time I have obtained my Modlets for around $50 each; I also got some on sale for $25 at Best Buy.  As far as I know my data is not shared with anyone else.  I can easily check on that if necessary.

Hi GuitarBuilder,

As per our conversation this poll was supposed to be for ThinkEco support and that device only. I am not at all certain why it's morphed into a be all end all integration with 3rd party Zigbee energy monitoring products.

Wounder you be kind enough to change the question to reflect our conversation?

With kind regards,

Michel

My apologies, Michel.  Clearly I misunderstood your directions; is the modified poll correct?

Mike - Could you elaborate on what you mean by "data being shared"? Are you referring to the enterprise solution where employees can see their individual data? I am not aware of any opting in or out otherwise for residential users.

Over time I have obtained my Modlets for around $50 each; I also got some on sale for $25 at Best Buy. As far as I know my data is not shared with anyone else. I can easily check on that if necessary.

According to users reviews on Amazon, this is the case. You might want to review their privacy policy for more information

Archived