geo fence

jwarner964

Hi 

Just wondering how anyone out there that is using geo fence to run a program ect, how it's working. I use it to open my garage door and turn off lights if there are any left on and to set my thermostat . it works most of the time, but not all the time. I have a iPhone 4s running the older software, a little afraid to upgrade to iso 8. any one else have the same problem

Thanks, Jeff 

Hi Jeff,

We documented everything we know on how to make iOS trigger geo-fencing reliably on our website here: http://mobilinc.com/features/geofence/

I don't have 3rd party validated hard data to support this next statement, but in supporting our customers and geo-fencing including my own personal testing, your experience with the 4S isn't unusual. It seems like geo-fencing improved with the iPhone 5/5S and 6 products. 

Wes

FWIW, I still have occasional issues with Geofencing on my iPhone6/iOS8.  Mostly I see failures to register when I leave work since as I leave the region, I am out of WiFi range already and in a weak cellular area.  I'm quite sure that Mobilinc on the phone knows I have left the region but due to connectivity issues, it is unable to update my ISY.  Additionally, unless I have the phone awake as I approach home, it can sometimes take minutes for ML to realize that I'm home and inform the ISY.  If I have Waze or another mapping/GPS app active as I approach the house, then everything works like a champ on arrival except fo the fact that the ISY may now think I'm both home and at work...

-Xathros

My Tasker blew up either on an auto-update or my SD card went bad. It just quit working completely with no recovery I could find.  After all the buttons greyed out on re-install, reboot, remove and repair, I had to do some inner Android file tweaking to banish it for not liking 'Re".  After re-install I have nothing again and my brain is too tired right now to recreate use it's mystic GUI. **sigh**.  Later?

After finding my cell data consumption way up I realised I was manually turning off Wi-Fi and consuming too much cell data so I just leave my WiFi on now. I think tasker consumes more battery power running than Android's logic putting WiFi testing in the background. Waste of battery energy attempting to save same? :)

I also have an Iphone6/IOS8 and only have issues if the phone is not awake. Just like Xathros said, it can take minutes for Mobilinc/Iphone to realize that I am within the region. This isn't Moblinlinc's fault, just how the iPhone reserves battery power while on standby. 

The only feature I wish Mobilinc had, and maybe it does but I am using it wrong, is setting the location of the radius. When I press location, it brings up a map and uses the phones current GPS coordinates to set the center of the radius. I wish I could see the size of the radius on the map and move it around to the desired location that I want the radius to cover. Or at least let me set a pushpin on the map for where I want the radius to be centered. 

Hi sumguyinfl18,

Currently when setting the location, MobiLinc does only use the current GPS coordinates. You can change the radius from 100 meters out. Agreed, it would look nicer if there was a circle/radius overlay, but geofencing isn't that accurate and showing this implies more accuracy than what you'll typically see. iOS goes into a sleep mode and depending on if the phone is asleep or what internal stage the phone is in (GPS track) iOS could detect and trigger the crossing of the geo-fence right on your boundary or a few minutes after the crossing occurred.

If you wake up your phone as you enter your neighborhood, you'll get better reliability as iOS wakes up and looks around for location. Or, as Xathros pointed out, if you are using the GPS like Maps at the time, then you'll get great reliability assuming you have a decent cell data connection at the time.

Wes

Wes-

Is there any chance that ML could be made to update all regions on enter/exit from any region?  The reason:  When I leave work, often the ISY does not get notified due to poor connectivity as I leave work.  When I get home, it updates my home variable but the ISY still thinks I'm also at work.  Granted when I'm arriving at home, I didn't "just" leave work but this would be better than the ISY thinking I'm in both places.  Seems like if I'm in one region, I'm NOT in the other regions and it should be a quick update to "refresh" all the region vars on any change no?

Thanks for your consideration.

-Xathros

Hi Xathros,

I'd have to think about that. There's a number of side-effects that might occur. Right now we're leaving open the option where you can overlay regions. This proposal would break that flexibility. 

Have you tried widening out the radius of the geo-fence so that it gets you into a better cell coverage area when crossing the boundary?

Wes

Wes-

I don't think that would break overlapping regions at all. All I'd like is for all regions to update with any boundary crossing. If you are within more than one region the "refresh" should indicate that. The ISY will only process changes. This will allow for missed crossings to be brought back to reality.

I do see where some might want the current behavior so making this optional may be a better idea. .

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived