Alternative to ELK?

GuitarBuilder

I think its important to have a core dedicated alarm panel that the ISY can talk to for management purposes, but not have the ISY in the center replacing that alarm panel.

I am waiting to see what products come out this year post CES, as the market is changing. I believe ISY v5 firmware will open a lot of possibilities as well, allowing direct conversations with alarm panels that wasn't possible before. I am going to continue to look at new products and get V5 firmware going

Paul

I have to add my agreement with paulbates about not using the ISY as an alarm system.  It would not be accepted by an insurance company as the ISY is not rated for such activity.  If the intent is to eliminate the alarm system altogether than hooking up some of the sensors to the ISY is fine but not as a replacement to the existing alarm system.   No battery backup, no override access to phone line, and so on.      

Can you tell me what *specifically* you want the ISY to do when one of the zones are open / closed? Send a piece of mail, activate some lights, turn on the HVAC, open / close the window shades, turn off the main water, open / close the GDO?

I'm thinking of a text message for open zones when everyone is away (using motion sensor as condition) for starters.  I may add lights that were left on or garage door left open in the future.

I gather this alarm system panel doesn't have a *Internet module* that can tell you this?

No, It's fairly old, but still functioning perfectly.  That's why I was thinking of monitoring the zones directly.

I would humbly suggest you just upgrade the panel to what ever brand you like with the features that meet your needs. Most of the current alarm panels offer remote access along with notification via e-mail, sms, etc.

Most of them offer web based UI's that let you see each zone along with relay activation etc. Since you already have all the wiring in place just hook it up to the existing wires and bam, good to go!

Obviously, it would be good if the panel supported X10, Z-Wave, etc.

I know its not Insteon but it would let you interface *some how* via X10 / Z-Wave.

Archived