Thermostat Advice for ISY: Z-Wave? EcoBee3? Honeywell? Trane?

prairiecode

I don't have any secure devices, no door locks, so I can't check directly.  I can give two somewhat contradictory hints: one is that the Trane thermostats seem to sometimes be co-branded by Schlage.  The other is that there is no mention at all of its repeater capabilities in the manual, let alone secure repeater capabilities.

Another question.  Would you know if the mentioned rcs/trane z-wave stats will also act as z-wave repeaters for secure devices, like schlage locks?  If so, that will be the final straw to return my 6 unopened 2441TH's and order the trane's from Amazon since they are just under $100 with prime shipping.  Smarthome has the RCS's but only 3 of them at $150 each.

Hi Jimbo,

The Trane TZ400BB3VZNNSL thermostat does show up as a Repeater along with the Aeotec Multisensor (USB powered) and the Aeotec Repeater.

post-3657-0-93114800-1423492316_thumb.jpg

~Mike

I think I found the answer to my question in case anyone else is interested, ironically on the homeseer site from 06/05/2012:

http://www.homeseer.com/pdfs/Z-Wave-Lock-Setup.pdf

NOTE: All Z-Wave locks include a "beaming" technology that puts the lock into a "sleep" mode to conserve battery power. Because of this, only "beaming-compatible" devices can communicate with the lock. As of this writing, only devices with Z-Wave ZDK firmware v5.02 or v4.52 (or higher) can communicate with the locks. These devices currently include the following:

 HomeSeer Z-Troller (v1.15 or higher)

 Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2

 Newest GE/Jasco Z-Wave products (look for "Schlage LiNK on packaging)

 Evolve Z-Wave products (all)

 Schlage LiNK light module

 Trane Z-Wave thermostat

 RCS TZ45 Z-Wave thermostat

 2GIG Z-Wave thermostat

 Cooper Aspire RF 5-button Scene controller

Just ordered 7 of them on Amazon, thanks everyone for the info.

One thing I will say - it is a repeater, but its radio/antenna is not nearly as good as the Aeon switch that I bought specifically to use as a repeater (it's cheaper than Aeon's repeater-only device, somehow!)  The range is probably 1/3 to 1/2 of that of the Aeon switch.  Perhaps that's because it can only draw so much current from the 24VAC line?  I don't know.  Anyhow, I found that I still needed the Aeon switches around.  They let my motion detectors work reliably instead of intermittently, despite the fact that it's about twice as far away as the nearest thermostat!

Received my Trane's today, installed two of them and working great. Only issue was I could not enroll the second one that needs to communicate thru the first one, so I hooked it up in the first ones location, enrolled it, then moved it back to its real location and heal network fixed up the routes. Not enough time tonight to check if it works as a repeater for my locks, will test that when I have time to make sure it's robust. Thanks for the tips, very happy so far. Just need to sell the never used 2441THs since SH would not exchange them since I bought them over 30 days ago...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Received my Trane's today, installed two of them and working great.... Thanks for the tips, very happy so far. Just need to sell the never used 2441THs since SH would not exchange them since I bought them over 30 days ago...

Finding the right stat is a tricky, multi-dimensional journey. Glad you arrived :D

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,  I’m totally new to all of this, so please pardon my ignorance. I have a ISY994iZw/IR PRO that I’m using primarily as a lighting controller, with Mobilinc HD as my front end. I recently had two Carrier Infinity systems put in, and have a couple of System Access Modules (SAMs) on order (they’re supposed to be coming in today). If possible, I’d like to have the ability to control the thermostats from the Mobilinc interface, and ideally also be able to issue commands for them to do various things (go into a particular mode, set the temperature to a particular level, etc.) as part of programs on the ISY.

How should I begin to go about doing this? What additional hardware and/or software do I need? Any pointers in the right direction would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Received my Trane's today, installed two of them and working great. Only issue was I could not enroll the second one that needs to communicate thru the first one, so I hooked it up in the first ones location, enrolled it, then moved it back to its real location and heal network fixed up the routes. Not enough time tonight to check if it works as a repeater for my locks, will test that when I have time to make sure it's robust. Thanks for the tips, very happy so far. Just need to sell the never used 2441THs since SH would not exchange them since I bought them over 30 days ago...

Checking in for an update, still on the dumb thermostat plan and would like something that could work with someday Schalge zwave locks, be a repeater and get my ISY talking to the thermostats!

Checking in for an update, still on the dumb thermostat plan and would like something that could work with someday Schalge zwave locks, be a repeater and get my ISY talking to the thermostats!

I'm unsure why you would want a thermostat to work with a lock. Also, a repeater probably needs more power than that supplied by an HVAC 24VAC transformer. OTOH, virtually any Z-Wave thermostat should function with the ISY.

As I stated in post 28, my Schlage lock lists the Trane thermostat as a Repeater. However I find it odd that my Schlage lock DOES NOT see any of the Gen-5 Aeotec Z-Wave devices that I have added. Has anyone else seen this?

Nest. Set and forget. Takes care of home/away better than anything else, if you use the Nest App.

And I don't really feel much compulsion to "integrate" with ISY. I do plan on using ISY to set the Nest to Eco when a window is open, once I paint the *&^%! windows and install the Insteon open/close switches.

I used to have the Venstar with the dongle. What a pain! Good riddance!

As I stated in post 28, my Schlage lock lists the Trane thermostat as a Repeater. However I find it odd that my Schlage lock DOES NOT see any of the Gen-5 Aeotec Z-Wave devices that I have added. Has anyone else seen this?

My trades work fine as repeaters to other tranes, but not sure if the work for schlage looks since those need the secure mode, so I used aeon sirens...

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Hi Jimbo,

I have all of the below Gen5 devices in my Z-Wave network.

Aeon doorbell (ZW056-A) - *ISY lists it as a siren

Aeon smart switch (ZW075-A02)

Aeon smart switch 6 (ZW096-A02)

Aeon smart dimmer 6 (ZW099-A02)

Aeon multisensor (ZW100-A)

None of these show in the Schlage lock neighbor list.

Only my original Trane thermostat and an Aeon multisensor (original version) are listed as neighbors for the Schlage lock, although both the Trane thermostat and Aeon multisensor have all the above Aeon Gen5 devices as neighbors. Very strange.

~Mike

Yes, I think my tranes are listed as neighbors, but the don't repeat secure messages, if I remember correctly, but I am not positive. I know​ the multi sensor will not foreword since it's battery operated. I don't have any of those other devices, and just rely on a aeon siren to repeat a secure messages for my locks.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Archived