MobiLinc Connect and the Network Module

Nestor

Hi Wes,

I recently added the Network Module and am currently signed up with Mobilinc Connect. I understand MC allows for remote access to the admin console. Does MC function as a single DDNS for both Mobilinc and for the ISY Network Module?

My biggest concern is doing something I don't need to because MC already allows for it (whatever that might be) and messing up the configuration of both products.

Thanks for a great product!

My understanding may be limited, but I believe mobilinc connect allows access to the ISY by mobilinc through cloud services.  One does not NEED mobilinc connect if one is willing and able to configure router with necessary port-forwarding rules and can configure mobilinc with the proper local and secure settings.  Mobilinc connect also handles ever-changing IP addresses.  Mobilinc connect is, in my estimation, a convenience...perhaps worth it to some, not for others.

Last I tried (a little while ago) the ISY admin page can be accessed remotely, without mobilinc connect, and without the network module.  I do not believe mobilinc connect offers any benefit when trying to access the admin panel directly.

Hopefully, others will correct me if I am in error.

I can confirm that MobiLinc with or without connect does not provide access to the Administrative Console nor is the network module required for remote access. MobiLinc does provide access to your scenes and devices.

Understood. At the time, I was transitioning from a bug-laden Vera and was anxious to get everything moved over to ISY and Mobilinc. MC seemed like a quick and straightforward way to get things up and running, and as it turns out, it was.

My hope is to exploit the internet connection I already have (via MC) for use with the features in the Network Module. My thinking was that if I can connect with the Admin Console, that everything else should be configured properly. Admittedly, I'm still on the learning curve with the Network Module. I've been playing with it and have been unsuccessful with any sort of remote access. I figured the Mobilinc Connect would be a good place to start.

As for remote access of the Admin Console, this is from the Mobilinc site:

"For our paid users, we also offer remote access to your ISY using the familiar Admin Console application from a PC/MAC. Access your ISY configuration anywhere through MobiLinc Connect without any network changes. See the MobiLinc App Settings after subscribing to MobiLinc Connect for Admin Console access information and steps."

I only stumbled onto this tonight and hadn't tried it yet.

ETA: My interest in MC wrt the Network Module lies with DDNS.

Hi Folks,

The Admin Console access via MobiLinc Connect instructions are in the app, but for those reading, if you have an active and paid MobiLinc Connect subscription with us through the app or PayPal you can reach your ISY from a PC/MAC using the following address:

https://admin.mobilincconnect.com/isy/xxxxxxxxxxxx

Replace the x's with your ISY's UUID (do not include ":").

When prompted by the Admin Console for a username/password use your MobiLinc Connect email for the username and your MobiLinc Connect password for the password.

This isn't a static IP address forward to your ISY. We are actually hosting the Admin Console and routing all requests through our cloud service and down to your ISY where everything is encrypted/authenticated by your MobiLinc Connect account. It's very similar to how our apps work via MobiLinc Connect. No network changes (ie port forwarding) necessary for reliable external/local connections.

Nestor - The Network Resources module for the ISY allows the ISY to make network calls to another IP based device on your LAN or internet. A common example is using a Network Resource to call a Global Cache device to send it an IR code to send to your AV equipment. Network Resources is not related to MobiLinc Connect.

Wes

Question Wes,  do I need to have an up to date version of Java on my remote computer?  The reason I'm asking is that my work computer had a lower version of Java that I can't upgrade as it will mess up other apps.  But it would be nice to be able to get to my ISY from my work PC.  If this is the case, it may be worth my while to get a subscription.

Archived