Can't link ISY994 to 2477D

jruben4

This switch was getting communications for turning on and off, but couldn't have scene programming changes written from the ISY. Moving the ISY to the same wall as the switch worked, but the ISY could no longer control my X10 devices in the new position.  This makes me believe the switch is on a different 120V leg than the original ISY position.  So I assume it's being controlled by RF and not powerline communications for routine on/off commands.

Moving the PLM plug point verified the SwitchLinc was not the source of the Extended message problem. Extended messages are carried by RF. The actual cause of the Extended message problem has not been identified, only verified it is not the SwitchLinc itself.

Put the PLM into Set button 4 tap beacon test and see if the SwitchLinc indicates it is on the same or opposite 120v leg.

That should not be correct. Range Extenders (Access Points) couple the two 120v legs using RF. It would not be possible to program I2CS and some I2 devices if Extended messages were not carried over RF.

That's another argument in favor of installing a hard-wired bridge. Without one, extended messages are single-band.

I did the beacon test and about half of my switches were on the same power leg.  The switch in question is on the other leg from the PLM.  What is the typical range of the RF?  This switch is across an open room from one of the switches on the correct leg, maybe 30' open space.

The antenna's are generally on the back of the device.  It can be seen when looking through the clear plastic back.  This means an RF signal has to pass through two sets of electronics if the nearest Dual Band is across the room.  If mounted in metal electrical boxes it further reduces the range.  

I do not have an RF range in mind.  That is why I prefer to use a pair of Access Points (now call Range Extenders) which plug in and serve to couple the 120v legs.  I locate them near the power panel so they have clear line of site.  Others think that with the volume of Dual Band devices installed now days the Access Points are over kill.  The reality is whether the installed devices work together.   

Archived