8 button KPL shows up as 5 button

rick.curl

I recently bought a 6- button 2334-232 KeypadLinc and I converted it to 8 buttons by doing the A&H key thing- the same way I have done it on others.  The curious thing about this one is that it shows up in the ISY as being 5 buttons, yet all 8 buttons are working fine.

Since all 8 buttons are working fine should I leave it alone?  Any idea what may have caused this?

Thanks!

-Rick

If you mean that the type of device is 5-button, but all 8 buttons are available, then that's OK. What you changed was the mode of the device and not the type of device it is.

When you say "Manually change"- I think that's what I did.  First I swapped the button plate.  Then before programming it in the system I temporarily attached a power cord to the black & white wires and then held down the "A" and "H" buttons while plugging it in. After a few seconds it beeped and all 8 buttons worked.  Then I added it to my system.

I did it the same way for two others and they are correctly showing up as being 8 buttons.

-Rick

When you say "Manually change"- I think that's what I did.  First I swapped the button plate.  Then before programming it in the system I temporarily attached a power cord to the black & white wires and then held down the "A" and "H" buttons while plugging it in. After a few seconds it beeped and all 8 buttons worked.  Then I added it to my system.

I did it the same way for two others and they are correctly showing up as being 8 buttons.

-Rick

Rick,

Based on your reply that is perfect!

If you mean that the type of device is 5-button, but all 8 buttons are available, then that's OK. What you changed was the mode of the device and not the type of device it is.

How can I change the type of device?  Should I?

Thanks.

-Rick

I suspect that you used Auto Discover for the device type with this one and specified the type as 8 button KPLs when adding the others.  Only issue is how the ISY describes the device.  It should work just fine as is.

-Xathros

How can I change the type of device?  Should I?

Thanks.

-Rick

Don't need to but if you want to, remove it from the ISY and add it back using the drop down to specify and 8 button KPL rather than using auto discover.

-Xathros

rich.curl

The KeypadLinc is manufactured as a 6 button device, with a "Cat"egory, "Sub-cat"egory (device type) for a 6 button KPL. This is true regardless of how the device is configured to operate (as 6 button or 8 button). If there are 8 nodes it is configured for 8 button operation even though it is still considered a 6 button KPL and shows as a 6 button device type. If the device is Factory Reset it returns to 6 button mode and would have to be reconfigured for 8 button mode.

Here is an 8 button KPL showing an 8 button device type on line 2, right side of display, even though configured for 6 button operation with 5 nodes.

post-707-0-09704700-1424479315_thumb.jpg

Archived