Question about the garage control kit

Blackbird

We use the original garage door remotes, a Homelink controller built into my wife's car, Insteon KPL buttons, a Mini Remote, a RemoteLinc and ISY programs.

The kit does not work with all garage door openers. Sometimes, there's a workaround.

Blackbird:

Probably a stupid question but do you still use the existing opener button to open and close or does that get replaced by insteon control.  

It can be either / both. The io_linc with the kit will be looking for contacts that connect to, usually where the opener's button is located. You don't disconnect any existing functionality to do this.

• For inside of the house control, I have insteon scenes associated with a Keypad key that opens and closes the door. The Key is lit when the door is up. 
  • If I'm in the garage, I still push the opener's button control

Also, does this kit work with all garage door openers?

It can depend on the opener. You need to find contacts where the I/O can be connected to cause the open / close action. Here is mine, connected to a Sears Garage door opener. That piece of grey cat 5 wire crosses the opener's contacts and connects to the io linc. If you look at the io_linc page on smart home, the top graphic shows what's intended. You may want to take your opener's wall control down and inspect it, and try crossing contacts that wire to the opener mechanism.

post-5496-0-94067400-1424646879_thumb.jpg

Paul

The OEM wall mount controllers for my opener have additional functions to control the actuator mounted light and to lockout remote control signals, but it was only doing it on two wires. So I hooked up an oscilloscope in between and discovered there is a constant pulse train that changes according which button is depressed.

One can still operate the garage doors locally with the wall mount paddlles, regardless of the state of remote-lockout, and hacking the paddles would bypass this function, so I opted to hack one of the visor-mounted remotes with a pair of IOLincs (one for each door). This ensures against the (unlikely, I hope) dreaded "All On" event, and the (more likely) "fat fingered moment" on my iPhone while away from home.

YMMV

The OEM wall mount controllers for my opener have additional functions to control the actuator mounted light and to lockout remote control signals, but it was only doing it on two wires. So I hooked up an oscilloscope in between and discovered there is a constant pulse train that changes according which button is depressed.

One can still operate the garage doors locally with the wall mount paddlles, regardless of the state of remote-lockout, and hacking the paddles would bypass this function, so I opted to hack one of the visor-mounted remotes with a pair of IOLincs (one for each door). This ensures against the (unlikely, I hope) dreaded "All On" event, and the (more likely) "fat fingered moment" on my iPhone while away from home.

YMMV

It seems to me like this would still suffer from an All On if one were to happen on your network.  What difference does it make with the IOLinc is connected directly to the opener or to a remote?  If the IOLink relay closes unexpectedly, won't the door still actuate?

-Xathros

It seems to me like this would still suffer from an All On if one were to happen on your network.  What difference does it make with the IOLinc is connected directly to the opener or to a remote?  If the IOLink relay closes unexpectedly, won't the door still actuate?

-Xathros

When the remote-lockout function is enabled, the garage door will not respond to wireless remote commands, only from the hardwired paddles.

Since the IOLincs are connected to a wireless remote, this measure of safety is retained.

ETA: when I state "remote-lockout", I mean "lockout of remotes" rather than "lockout from a remote location".

Ahh.  Gotcha.  So as long as you remember to lockout the remotes, then an All On won't hit your doors.

-Xathros

You got it.

The opener still acknowledges receipt of the commands, but all it does is blink the actuator mounted lamp. A handy feature during testing, since I could verify operation without having to open up my insulated garage to this frigid Ontario air. :shock:

Only send a Relay On when door is Open.

In that line of thinking, one could place a normally closed reed switch in series with the IOLinc relay so that the circuit to the relay is broken when the door is closed.

-Xathros

Archived