Setup questions

drprm1

So I decided to go with Autelis solution for temperature monitoring. Bought the Universal 2-way serial interface for ISY. Placed one 1-wire probe on it for testing purposes.

Updated the firmware to 1.3.1.... I can get ISY to read the temperature but I have a couple of questions

I set up no rules and was wondering what exactly this was for (examples would be nice)

The temperature has no decimal point in it....(perhaps this is what the rules would help with?)

When  I want to add more sensors do I just piggy back them on with the others and expect each one to show up as seperate?

I've read as much as I could find regarding this and I agree with Teken that some support with pictures would be helpful..I read his long post on the Brultech forum but unfortunately the pictures don't show up.

Thanks!!

So I decided to go with Autelis solution for temperature monitoring. Bought the Universal 2-way serial interface for ISY. Placed one 1-wire probe on it for testing purposes.

Updated the firmware to 1.3.1.... I can get ISY to read the temperature but I have a couple of questions

I set up no rules and was wondering what exactly this was for (examples would be nice)

The temperature has no decimal point in it....(perhaps this is what the rules would help with?)

When  I want to add more sensors do I just piggy back them on with the others and expect each one to show up as seperate?

I've read as much as I could find regarding this and I agree with Teken that some support with pictures would be helpful..I read his long post on the Brultech forum but unfortunately the pictures don't show up.

Thanks!!

Not sure about rules.  I will leave that to @Teken.

The ISY does not do floating point math (yet - coming in V5.x) so the temp is sent multiplied by 10 so you get the whole value.  You just need to scale all of your program decisions up by 10 to account for that.  This is the best way to handle this till we have floating point capabilities in the ISY.

Each sensor has a unique ID.  Just add them in parallel and they will show up.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Thanks!!

Hello,

First my humble apologies for the lack of pictures in my install thread. As more people review my installation project thread it exceeds the bandwidth of my (free) photo bucket account. All of the images will return at the end of the month until I max out again LOL!

The rules are used with other RS-232 Serial devices and not for 1 wire temperature at all. As my partner in crime Xathros has indicated the ISY does not represent the values in decimals.

Hopefully this will be introduced in Beta 5.XX sometime in this 2015 fiscal year. The Autelis Bridge is pretty flexible in terms of wiring method so even a star topology can be used. Regardless of wiring method ensure you use the thickest wire you can afford to use either 22-4 alarm wire, CAT6 Ethernet cable as its thicker than CAT5E.

I would also highly suggest you enroll each sensor one at a time and test them for extreme hot / cold. Use a cup filled with ice water and watch (repeated) values are seen. Do the same thing for the hot using boiling water on the stove top and see what the readings are.

I've had great success with all of my 1 wire sensors purchased via EBAY and all of them were sub $1.XX in cost. But, keep in mind some variance and reliability should be expected from such low cost items.

For me all 40 sensors have been rock solid for more than five years on my GEM and almost a year on the Autelis Bridge. Its better to know if a sensor is going to fail now then later when its deep in God knows where and its hard to access later.

I am seeing a reliable variance of 0.1 - 0.3 between sensors. In my install all of the 0.1 sensors are installed in mission critical areas and equipment so this is why testing them and recording the values is important if this is meant as a means of accurate reporting.

Prompt and helpful..I like it!

Thanks again

Not a problem and hope very much the install thread provided you some useful information. Please also keep in mind you should not send the state variable data below 5 seconds if you have more 3rd party devices doing the same as I do.

I have mine set up for a 20 second send interval which is a good balance of real time accuracy and update. 

Set up two more sensors with no problem....

Would you know of any way to log the high or low temperature of a given period?

I don't use the Autelis Bridge exactly for logging so much as I use it for reactive monitoring purposes. Which then activates various Insteon enabled devices in my home.

That covers HVAC, HWT, Water Pipes, Rooms, Zones, Equipment, Security, Fire Protection, Etc.

If you review some of my threads you will see two fantastic programs which again my partner in crime Xathros crafted to allow me such robust reactive monitoring.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Set up two more sensors with no problem....

Would you know of any way to log the high or low temperature of a given period?

I do this for my daily report on a couple of my sensors.

Pretty simple.  Define a few integer vars for high and low for each sensor.  Then a few programs like this to deal with the values:

Temp1 - [ID 009B][Parent 009A]

If
        $s.TEMP1 is $s.TEMP1

Then
        $i.TEMP1  = $s.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1 /= 10
        Run Program 'Temp1High' (If)
        Run Program 'Temp1Low' (If)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Temp1High - [ID 00A2][Parent 009A]

If
        $i.TEMP1 > $i.TEMP1HI

Then
        $i.TEMP1HI  = $i.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1HI Init To $i.TEMP1HI

Else

Temp1Low - [ID 00A0][Parent 009A]

If
        $i.TEMP1 < $i.TEMP1LOW

Then
        $i.TEMP1LOW  = $i.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1LOW Init To $i.TEMP1LOW

Else

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

I do this for my daily report on a couple of my sensors.

Pretty simple.  Define a few integer vars for high and low for each sensor.  Then a few programs like this to deal with the values:

Temp1 - [ID 009B][Parent 009A]

If
        $s.TEMP1 is $s.TEMP1

Then
        $i.TEMP1  = $s.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1 /= 10
        Run Program 'Temp1High' (If)
        Run Program 'Temp1Low' (If)

Else

Temp1High - [ID 00A2][Parent 009A]

If
        $i.TEMP1 > $i.TEMP1HI

Then
        $i.TEMP1HI  = $i.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1HI Init To $i.TEMP1HI

Else

Temp1Low - [ID 00A0][Parent 009A]

If
        $i.TEMP1 < $i.TEMP1LOW

Then
        $i.TEMP1LOW  = $i.TEMP1
        $i.TEMP1LOW Init To $i.TEMP1LOW

Else

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Xathros,

Once again, another elegant and powerful application for us all to use! I modified your program /= 10 to 1. As I wanted to see the exact value being streamed over from the Autelis Bridge.

In my initial testing I noted the low temp remains at 0? At what point will the low temp be recorded when compared to the high temp monitor?

You will need a daily reset program that sets both hi and lo to current after reporting.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually added daily, weekly, monthly, annual, and all-time high/low temp variables to my ISY setup for no real reason other than curiosity, and kind of as a placeholder until I have more time to invest in extracting the info from my database.

Would you mind sharing what that code looks like? I am always interested in learning how others do the same task in different ways.

Right now I am trying to get the low temp to register but doesn't seem to work as I hoped.

Because 0 is lower than the current temp. You need to start with both high and low set to the current temp then they track from there. The hi worked because the initial 0 was lower than current so the program was able to update it.

-Xathros

Because 0 is lower than the current temp. You need to start with both high and low set to the current temp then they track from there. The hi worked because the initial 0 was lower than current so the program was able to update it.

-Xathros

I guess I can manually set the variable and see what happens. I thought your code would simply track it but gather I misunderstood how it operates.

Will report back success / failure.

I didn't post my daily report code that resets these and many other vars after reporting the previous day's values.

-Xathros

I think this code for my use case works just fine. It was not understanding what the finer details were prior to deployment. I have started to craft the first 40 sensor data trackers.

Wow, I really wish there was a method to copy the entries besides ctrl c / v!

Based on last nights test and e-mail confirmation this is going to work perfectly for historic review and tracking. I am still deciding if I wish to receive all of the e-mails for all 72 sensors (probably not) LOL!

But, very much enjoy having the ability to see a static / live view of my homes environmental temperatures.

As always I thank everyone for taking the time to share, teach, and bestow such elegant programs that enrich our lives.

post-1970-0-20698700-1425060154_thumb.png

Would you mind sharing what that code looks like? I am always interested in learning how others do the same task in different ways.

Right now I am trying to get the low temp to register but doesn't seem to work as I hoped.

My code is, um, inelegant. But here goes...

First caveat is that this only works because I'm using ioguy's ISYLink software running on a Raspberry Pi. Otherwise there's no easy way to track time frames beyond a day.

My inelegant solution is that each component of the process is broken out and runs separately. So there are a lot of programs, one for TempHighDaily, and another TempLowDaily, for example, with a corresponding reset program for each. They are all variations on a theme, so they don't differ much. 

Here's the weekly one, for example:

TempHighWeekly

If
        $s_TempSensor_Exterior > $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High  = $s_TempSensor_Exterior
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High Init To $s_TempSensor_Exterior

Else

Here's the monthly one. No real difference, other than the variable being compared:

TempHighMonthly

If
        $s_TempSensor_Exterior > $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_High

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_High  = $s_TempSensor_Exterior
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_High Init To $s_TempSensor_Exterior

Else

Low temperatures are just a reversal of the > to <:

TempLowMonthly

If
        $s_TempSensor_Exterior < $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low  = $s_TempSensor_Exterior
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low Init To $s_TempSensor_Exterior

Else

And my reset programs are simple too (I even cheat and just set the daily high to 0 and the low to 5000 at midnight. It's California. We don't go below 0, at least not where I am! That said, I think I will try setting to the current temp instead. More elegant.):

TempLowMonthly Reset

If
        $s_ISYLink_DayOfMonth is 1

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low  = 5000
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low Init To 5000

Else

That's about it. The reset programs only vary by interval. I should combine them, I don't need separate weekly high and low resets, I just haven't cleaned that part up yet:

TempHighWeekly Reset

If
        $s_ISYLink_DayOfWeek is 1

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High  = 0
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High Init To 0

Else

Oh, and the all-time records work the same, they just don't have a reset.

I believe you're correct there would need to be extra code to allow me to track daily, weekly, monthly temps. With the help of Xathros I am currently able to track and report on:

- Current temperatures, energy output, voltage, etc. 

- Record the frequency and duration of all electrical appliances in the home.

- Be alerted of a high / low temperature limit conditions along with electrical device health.

- Know if something is running longer than expected and be informed and react to it if required via the insteon network.

What this new program allows is some over lap of viewing the above but provides a low, high, and current view. I have never been much of a number cruncher. But have to admit, during the last five years this is really exciting and quite the motivator for me and the family.

But, very much enjoy having the ability to see a static / live view of my homes environmental temperatures.

Whenever I want to see what's going on temp-wise at my house, I can check a web page. Again, inelegant as hell, but I installed a LEMP stack on my Pi, and via a couple of bits of code I have a (very basic) web page that displays the last several temp readings from all my sensors (a whopping 4 at this point) in the 5-minute intervals in which they are recorded to the database, along with the timestamp of when they were recorded. With a shortcut on one of my phone home screens, my home temperature info is never more than a couple taps away. At some point I'll create scripts that will pull my daily, weekly, monthly, and annual temps directly from the database and add that info to the web page too. The ISY doesn't need to be handling any of that in my case. Plus I want to get cacti or highcharts or something working to display the data in pretty charts. Long way to go still...

TempLowMonthly Reset

If
        $s_ISYLink_DayOfMonth is 1

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low  = 5000
        $s_Temp_Ext_Monthly_Low Init To 5000

Else

That's about it. The reset programs only vary by interval. I should combine them, I don't need separate weekly high and low resets, I just haven't cleaned that part up yet:

TempHighWeekly Reset

If
        $s_ISYLink_DayOfWeek is 1

Then
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High  = 0
        $s_Temp_Ext_Weekly_High Init To 0

Else

Oh, and the all-time records work the same, they just don't have a reset.

On your reset, why an arbitrary value rather than the current temp?

-Xathros

On your reset, why an arbitrary value rather than the current temp?

-Xathros

That was the best idea I had at the time to guarantee an immediate write to the record at the next sensor reading. But using the current temp is a better idea, I just changed my setup to do that.

I'm still learning a lot of this stuff as I go, thus the many amateur moves.

Archived