How Many Programs Do You Have?

zerop

It's interesting hanging out around here.  I've got a good 35 programs or so, and I feel like I've just started, and figured I'd end up somewhere around 100.  That being said, I didn't imagine having more than 5 or 10 when I bought this thing.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what your 300+ programs all do....crazy.

I honestly didn't even consider programs when I purchased the ISY Series Controller. All I wanted was having the ability to receive e-mails something turned on/off!

That obviously went side ways fast . . .

As indicated above if you are monitoring environmental's such as energy, temperature, water. Repetitive programs will be seen and deployed. When I see someone who offers a *Lean & Mean* program that accomplishes the same end goal I jump all over that like a rabid dog!

But the reality is some things require a lot of programs / variables to accomplish the end goal. 

There's different dimensions to it. Enhanced logging, and full support for network based devices using network resources can each ramp that number up quickly.

Not having variable substitution in all places is an underlying cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hence why we are all biting at the bits for 5.XX to be released! I know UDI has worked for a long time to get this next generation of firmware to the general public. My hopes is that it will help lots of us in stream lining our programs and also enhance the network capability of the controller to push data to cloud hosted sites.

I for one am looking forward to having the ability to push my 1 wire temperature sensor data to SEG!

SEG..? 

Apologies, SEG is (Smart Energy Group). This free site allows anyone to push their energy data to their cloud service to track and aggregate it and have them reflected in many charts, graphs, tiles.

I've used the SEG for years to chart and host my energy data from my Dash Box (DB) & Green Eye Monitor (GEM). My intention is to use the ISY Series Controller to push my Autelis Bridge 1 wire temperature data to the SEG Service. This will allow me to graph, chart, and see trends for the 64 temperature sensors.

I hope that clarifies what SEG is:  http://smartenergygroups.com

Until now I had no real idea how many programs I have. I just checked and 450 programs, 73 State Variables, and 34 Integer Variables.

I also tend to look for the most simple way to program things. However, simpler doesn't not mean fewer programs. I purposely write things in a simple form which often means not using the Else clause and thus more programs are needed. Actually, I think more complex programming would mean fewer programs as you load the If clause with more logic and utilize the Else clause more frequently.

I'm probably nearing the end of the growth phase of my programs. I still need to create a Vacation function so that will add about 20 programs.  When v5.0 is released, I'll probably add the irrigation system and weather functions to it but that will probably be balanced out by the removal of the massive amount of thermostat programs required due to the variable limitations of v4.x.

Fun post!

I'm up to 273 programs, with 13 integer and 86 state variables and 120 network resources.

As others stated, a number of my programs interact across the network to other devices (cameras, DVRs, Prowl. Ubis).

Now that I have a better understanding of variables and such, I've been contemplating blowing away my programs and starting over.

I use io_guy's isylogger to save specific variables to syslog. I log indoor temp and humidity changes. HVAC run times for  Heat stage 1 and stage 2, cooling. Also run-times for humidity cycles and fresh air circulation cycles. I have ISY programs that help calculate some of those into variables.

I also log outside motion sensor and garage door activity. Also variables that track irrigation zone cycles, rainfall and how many times did the rain sensor prevent a full or partial sprinkling cycle.

19 programs and that seems a lot to me. How do you guys keep up with all those programs?

Can you expand on that line of thought? Normally once I have set it up there isn't any regular house cleaning associated with the programs.

If you're speaking about how I manage the naming convention to keep it visually trackable. I first ensure any Integer variable is listed as i.what ever, State variables are listed a s.what ever.

From there program folders in my use case is based on devices in the network. Such as Insteon, Autelis, GEM, Dash Box, etc Some programs are in obvious folders because they just make sense to me at least such as: e-mail alerts, timers, schedules, HVAC, Temperature, etc.

Following a naming convention and basic schema is important visually because at first glance it should just make sense to you. While others I know use some kind of magic hap hazard approach of what ever came in their head!

: )

Actually, when something fails to do what it was supposed to do I stumble around a lot trying to figure out which program/scene/device is the culprit. Given that I am 70 years old I have an excuse!

70 years old?

It's safe to say you're the shining example of how learning is never ending!

I salute you and look forward to breaking 70 when it comes upon me!

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

I've been wondering this myself...

I'll take this post as an opportunity to benchmark where i'm at, and read this years from now and compare :)  

480 programs

25 variables (minimal use of variables because when I started It was foreshadowed we would have dynamic variable use across programs)

60 Elk Devices

0 insteon Devices (for now)

1 PLM 

94 Z-Wave Devices

240 Network Resources

Archived