FanLinc with Hue bulbs installed

Jamminred

I just installed my first Fanlinc, which happens to be a fixture that has Hue bulbs in it. as you may know the Hue bulbs dont like to be on a dimmer so as long as I keep the Fanlinc light at 100% its okay and that is okay with me as I know the conflict exists but the wife and kids could easily try to dim the hue bulbs via the Fanlinc instead of the programs I have setup to dim via the API. Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find a definitive answer by searching, but can I disable the dimming feature for lights in the Fanlinc or possibly just disable the whole light side of the Fanlinc? the bulbs are fine with always on power...

thank you

A solution is to use a Micro On/Off Module instead of the FanLinc dimmer. Or, if you have line, neutral and load at the switch box, then you can install a 6-button On/Off KPL wired to the load.

Or as the op suggested, simply not use the light output of the fanlinc and wire the bulbs hot always.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but if you wired the 6-button as recommended, with the load wire capped, and the fixture always hot, why would they even be able to dim the fixture at the switch? Just set the scene controlled by the 6-button on/off buttons to an on level of 100% and a ramp rate of 1/2 second. This assumes you're ok with powering down the bulb, and having it come on at the default color and brightness.

Otherwise, as suggested above, delete the scene wherein the 6-button controls the FanLinc light. Then use a network resource called by a program tied to the 6-button on/off switches to set the light color and brightness to the desired level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but if you wired the 6-button as recommended, with the load wire capped, and the fixture always hot, why would they even be able to dim the fixture at the switch? Just set the scene controlled by the 6-button on/off buttons to an on level of 100% and a ramp rate of 1/2 second.

Holding the Off button would still send a dim command to the FanLinc, even with the scene set at 100%.

As soon as an Insteon device is a Controller of the FanLinc Light it can Dim the load.   Even a Relay KPL will Dim when the button is pressed and held.  All Insteon devices, relay, dimmer, secondary KPL button, etc have the ability to Dim when the button is pressed and held.

The only way to prevent this is not have an Insteon device as a Controller of the FanLinc Light.  A Program can be implemented to only issue a Fast On regardless of the command sent by a device triggering the Program.  The Program can also issue a full Off when an Off or Fast Off command.is received. 

Since the FanLinc Light node is a Dimmer it may have problems with Hue bulbs regardless of using Fast On because a Dimmer chops the load even at full On. 

Holding the Off button would still send a dim command to the FanLinc, even with the scene set at 100%.

Ah, I see. So that would be a good place to use a 6-button relay instead of a dimmer, if you wanted to use a scene to control the light, yes?

Edit: never mind. Answered above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. A relay (On/Off) can send dim and bright as a scene controller. The relay would need to be wired to the light in order to avoid dimming.

Thank you everyone for the answers and suggestions. 

I do not have an actual switch wired to the Fanlinc yet as this was a new fixture installation I wired the fanlinc and Fan w/lights directly to panel. I have a KPL relay I plan on using with it, so I think for now I will just rewire the light directly to bypass the dimmer features of either KPL or Fanlinc and just cap the light load line.

This has not been an issue as it is now they could only possibly dim it if they were to use Mobilinc to control fan, which happened 2 days ago when my wife was trying to adjust fan speed but hit the light side of it instead.

I have the KPL and the custom Fanlinc buttons for it, just been to busy to install it, once they are in I think this wont be an issue anymore

Archived