SynchroLinc - Is the power consumption of my device too low to use it?

simonsez

I just got a SynchroLinc v.30.   I a have Cisco Explorer HD cable box that my cable provider likes to update and reboot constatly, and once they reboot the box it does not turn on again.  This is a problematic as it's being used with MythTV and once the box is rebooted and left off all recordings will fail (just recording a blank screen) until someone goes to push the power button again.

So I bought the SynchroLinc hoping to monitor this STB so I could get the box turned back on by hand when it happens.  Once this was working I can write a little daemon to accept a command using Isy network module to turn the box on.  The problem is following the procedure to calibrate the device doesn't seem to work.  I also tested mucking around with the options for the device via the ISY, but couldn't get the state to chane from off to on for the SynchroLink.

So I tested it with my KillaWatt, and found when on it's just over 14 watts, like 14.1-14.3.  When the device is off it's just shy of 14 watts, like 13.7-13.9.  I think this means the difference is too small for the Syncrolink to work, as I think it needs a different of at least 0.5 watts?  Is this correct?

If so I have a different application I'll try the SyncroLink with.

Thanks,

Simon

I just got a SynchroLinc v.30.   I a have Cisco Explorer HD cable box that my cable provider likes to update and reboot constatly, and once they reboot the box it does not turn on again.  This is a problematic as it's being used with MythTV and once the box is rebooted and left off all recordings will fail (just recording a blank screen) until someone goes to push the power button again.

So I bought the SynchroLinc hoping to monitor this STB so I could get the box turned back on by hand when it happens.  Once this was working I can write a little daemon to accept a command using Isy network module to turn the box on.  The problem is following the procedure to calibrate the device doesn't seem to work.  I also tested mucking around with the options for the device via the ISY, but couldn't get the state to chane from off to on for the SynchroLink.

So I tested it with my KillaWatt, and found when on it's just over 14 watts, like 14.1-14.3.  When the device is off it's just shy of 14 watts, like 13.7-13.9.  I think this means the difference is too small for the Syncrolink to work, as I think it needs a different of at least 0.5 watts?  Is this correct?

If so I have a different application I'll try the SyncroLink with.

Thanks,

Simon

Hello Simon,

I believe you're correct the difference is too small for the Syncrolinc to activate. But, I am a little taken aback when you indicate this device is off it still consumes almost the same power???

If so throw it out the window because nothing like that should consume 99% of the same energy while powered off even if its standby energy.

Hello Simon,

I believe you're correct the difference is too small for the Syncrolinc to activate. But, I am a little taken aback when you indicate this device is off it still consumes almost the same power???

If so throw it out the window because nothing like that should consume 99% of the same energy while powered off even if its standby energy.

Hey Teken,

I'm glad you responded because I was reading some other threads regarding the SynchroLink and I noticed a lot of the details were coming from none other than you!  So I guess it's very apropos that you'd respond. =]

You're right, it's a complete piece of garbage.  I explained in another thread I had no choice but to use their STB. Either use their cable box or you don't get cable TV;  it's sad really.  The in use power consumption doesn't really bother me since I have mine on all the time so that MyhTV can control the device via IR (sigh) and record things.  Hwoever you're totally right, the power button is for nothing more than 'show' at this point.  Pathetic.

Since I'm venting about my idiot cable provider I'll say this too.  I've had recordings that were interrupted because some update is forced to the box.  So why can't they simply note that the state of the box is on and after a reboot return it to that state.

I'm going to try putting this on my washer instead.  Hoping I can make it so when a load finishes we can get a notification. as often we forget about the laundry and can't hear the load finished chime.   

Cheers Teken!

Simon

Hey Teken,

I'm glad you responded because I was reading some other threads regarding the SynchroLink and I noticed a lot of the details were coming from none other than you!  So I guess it's very apropos that you'd respond. =]

You're right, it's a complete piece of garbage.  I explained in another thread I had no choice but to use their STB. Either use their cable box or you don't get cable TV;  it's sad really.  The in use power consumption doesn't really bother me since I have mine on all the time so that MyhTV can control the device via IR (sigh) and record things.  Hwoever you're totally right, the power button is for nothing more than 'show' at this point.  Pathetic.

Since I'm venting about my idiot cable provider I'll say this too.  I've had recordings that were interrupted because some update is forced to the box.  So why can't they simply note that the state of the box is on and after a reboot return it to that state.

I'm going to try putting this on my washer instead.  Hoping I can make it so when a load finishes we can get a notification. as often we forget about the laundry and can't hear the load finished chime.   

Cheers Teken!

Simon

Hello Simon,

I have been known to wonder the forums looking for trouble this is true! Could I perhaps offer another (possible) alternative? Does this device have any extra outlets or USB ports?

I ask because often times when a device is in standby / off these ports or outlets are powered down. This might allow you to distinguish the actual on / off via the synchrolink.

Also, if this is device is network enabled and does in fact can be pinged may I suggest a web enabled power switch? We use these sorts of devices all over the world to remotely power down, cycle, and activate devices. One of the key features is a *ping alive* where you set parameters that suite your needs.

Should the device not reply back based on your user settings the remote switch will cycle the power. I thought I would offer these two suggestions in case they are something you had not considered. 

I hope you do that have a HE4t washer. I've been trying for weeks to get the settings correct.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I am assuming the different cycles are giving you grief to calibrate to the washer? This is the primary reason I abandoned this effort because there was no *consistent* and reliable method to detect On, Cycle, Off modes. I have no issue doing it now via the GEM Energy Monitor and ISY programs.

I haven't looked back since . . . 

Exactly. I'm going to add a hack to the washer that is tied to the door lock. That seems to be a sure way to know.

I guess in your use case just knowing the cycle is completed is fine. For me I wanted to know when it turned on and the power level. Coupled with the maximum / minimum power load and operational run time of the appliance. The Synchrolinc wasn't able to accomplish those goals.

Hence why I went the full on energy monitoring route.

The washer is 'always on' but when not running a cycle draws mW. I want to know when a cycle starts and ends.

I'll be adding power consumption when I move the main breaker box.

Hello Simon,

I have been known to wonder the forums looking for trouble this is true! Could I perhaps offer another (possible) alternative? Does this device have any extra outlets or USB ports?

I ask because often times when a device is in standby / off these ports or outlets are powered down. This might allow you to distinguish the actual on / off via the synchrolink.

Also, if this is device is network enabled and does in fact can be pinged may I suggest a web enabled power switch? We use these sorts of devices all over the world to remotely power down, cycle, and activate devices. One of the key features is a *ping alive* where you set parameters that suite your needs.

Should the device not reply back based on your user settings the remote switch will cycle the power. I thought I would offer these two suggestions in case they are something you had not considered. 

Hey Teken,

I see where you're going here, good idea.  Yes it does have an AC outlet, usb and a rj45 network port.   Full documnetation here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/series-4000-digital-cable-set-tops/7016860.pdf

I didn't think of using the network or usb ports to monitor it's stauts.  I did consider the software configureable switched AC outlet, but I don't see how it would help.  Can you elaborate? 

From what I understand with my cable providers STB's network functionality is limited to working with their own boxes.  For instance you can play content recorded on their PVR to their STB over your wired network.  That's all.  I think the underlying technology is  DLNA, but its somehow locked to their devices.  It's a very walled in garden, and an ugly one at that.  I don't even connect it my network since I only have one box and there is no purpose to doing so.  In addtion I am nearly certain there is no functionaliy built in for the user, eg. a web based interface.

I see what you mean by connecting it to the network and monitoring with icmp.  That got me thinking.  You could write a shell script to monitor that network port for flops by using snmp and then act accordingly based on theat   Additional avatage is you could vlan it off to isolate it.  Since if there is no benefit to me putting in on my network other than link status.  Hell even if I had a stack of these boxes and used all their canned features I'd still vlan them into their own network.  Of course it's less plug and play then it would have been if the SL worked as I anticitpated.  Should have tested with the KillAWatt first. 

Cheers,

Simon

I have a home theater reciever that consumes nearly 40 watts when powered down.  I find out that this is due to enabling HDMI-CEC.  Once disabled, the receiver uses very little power.

Perhaps the cisco set top box has a similar aflliction.  Does it have HDMI-CEC capability?  Do you use this capability?  Can it be disabled?

Hey Teken,

I see where you're going here, good idea.  Yes it does have an AC outlet, usb and a rj45 network port.   Full documnetation here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/series-4000-digital-cable-set-tops/7016860.pdf

I didn't think of using the network or usb ports to monitor it's stauts.  I did consider the software configureable switched AC outlet, but I don't see how it would help.  Can you elaborate? 

From what I understand with my cable providers STB's network functionality is limited to working with their own boxes.  For instance you can play content recorded on their PVR to their STB over your wired network.  That's all.  I think the underlying technology is  DLNA, but its somehow locked to their devices.  It's a very walled in garden, and an ugly one at that.  I don't even connect it my network since I only have one box and there is no purpose to doing so.  In addtion I am nearly certain there is no functionaliy built in for the user, eg. a web based interface.

I see what you mean by connecting it to the network and monitoring with icmp.  That got me thinking.  You could write a shell script to monitor that network port for flops by using snmp and then act accordingly based on theat   Additional avatage is you could vlan it off to isolate it.  Since if there is no benefit to me putting in on my network other than link status.  Hell even if I had a stack of these boxes and used all their canned features I'd still vlan them into their own network.  Of course it's less plug and play then it would have been if the SL worked as I anticitpated.  Should have tested with the KillAWatt first. 

Cheers,

Simon

My thoughts are (speaking aloud) is if you attach something to this STB while its in the off position. Any auxiliary device would also be powered off whether it be USB / Switched AC outlet.

In the powered on position I would have to assume it would start to power those Aux ports, no? This would allow you to use those Aux devices (you choose) that would allow the Synchrolink to detect a larger spread in actual power of on/off.

I am sorry if I am unclear because I am trying to find the exact words to describe this.  

I guess in your use case just knowing the cycle is completed is fine. For me I wanted to know when it turned on and the power level. Coupled with the maximum / minimum power load and operational run time of the appliance. The Synchrolinc wasn't able to accomplish those goals.

Hence why I went the full on energy monitoring route.

This is all I was thinking of, the notification to know when it's done.  Just testing it out as a plan B for someway to use this new device anyways.

Simon

My thoughts are (speaking aloud) is if you attach something to this STB while its in the off position. Any auxiliary device would also be powered off whether it be USB / Switched AC outlet.

In the powered on position I would have to assume it would start to power those Aux ports, no? This would allow you to use those Aux devices (you choose) that would allow the Synchrolink to detect a larger spread in actual power of on/off.

I am sorry if I am unclear because I am trying to find the exact words to describe this.  

In the GUI for the box you can configure how the switched outlet works.  Either on and off with the cable box power switch or; IIRC on always. 

I see what you're saying now.  Connect say an electric leaf blower (j/k) to the switched outlet and when the box and the outlet start using current there will be sufficient  variance to detect on the SyncroLinc.    Another interesting idea again!  I need to think of what I could plug in...

Simon

In the GUI for the box you can configure how the switched outlet works.  Either on and off with the cable box power switch or; IIRC on always. 

I see what you're saying now.  Connect say an electric leaf blower (j/k) to the switched outlet and when the box and the outlet start using current there will be sufficient  variance to detect on the SyncroLinc.    Another interesting idea again!  I need to think of what I could plug in...

Simon

I would just take a small lamp or night light and try. I hope this works out and keep us all in the loop!

If you're aware of an Insteon device that returns to On after a power outage and you can set the power out outlet to power down with STB, then you can power that device from the power out outlet and monitor the state of that Insteon device.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just take a small lamp or night light and try. I hope this works out and keep us all in the loop!

Hey Teken,

I finally got a chance to get back to this.  I dug through my stuff and found a seriously old Radio Shack RF modulator.  Like this one:

419VubUXcOL.jpg

It has a plug without ground which is good since the cable box passhthrough outlet is only two prong.  I  tested it my KillaWatt it consumed just over a watt.  So I plugged this into the passthrough outlet and tried the calibration process all over again.  It's difficult as these garbage STB's forever to to boot from a cold start.  The SL calibration times out in 4 mintues, my timing of the boot cycle for STB is about 3.5 minutes. 

Anyways, I did manage to get it to calibrate and ... it works!  When the device is off, the light on SL is red and when on turns green.  However within the Isy it doesn't work like I'd expect.  As I turn the STB on and off the status of it in the Isy console does not change.  If I query the device then the status ipdates as expected. 

Is this the way it should work?  My first simple use was just a notification to tell me it was turned off so I can go jab the power button.  However I don't think this is going to work if the stauts of device needs to be queried all the time.

Simon

I have a home theater reciever that consumes nearly 40 watts when powered down.  I find out that this is due to enabling HDMI-CEC.  Once disabled, the receiver uses very little power.

Perhaps the cisco set top box has a similar aflliction.  Does it have HDMI-CEC capability?  Do you use this capability?  Can it be disabled?

Hey oberkc,

I checked the manual and it appears it does have HDMI-CEC, under outputs:

HDMI(1.3) with CEC, IEEE 1394 (4pin), L/R Audio, Baseband Video, YPbPr, IR, SVideo, Optical Digital Audio, Coaxial Digital Audio Out, RF Out, Switched Outlet, see Note 1

I'll have to go down and mess around in the settings to see if there is any option to disable it and then retest the power usage.  Thanks for the idea however, I'll check it out.  I ended up using Teken's idea to connect something to the switched outlet which is working for now but if this worked it would better for sure.

Simon

Hey Teken,

I finally got a chance to get back to this. I dug through my stuff and found a seriously old Radio Shack RF modulator. Like this one:

419VubUXcOL.jpg

It has a plug without ground which is good since the cable box passhthrough outlet is only two prong. I tested it my KillaWatt it consumed just over a watt. So I plugged this into the passthrough outlet and tried the calibration process all over again. It's difficult as these garbage STB's forever to to boot from a cold start. The SL calibration times out in 4 mintues, my timing of the boot cycle for STB is about 3.5 minutes.

Anyways, I did manage to get it to calibrate and ... it works! When the device is off, the light on SL is red and when on turns green. However within the Isy it doesn't work like I'd expect. As I turn the STB on and off the status of it in the Isy console does not change. If I query the device then the status ipdates as expected.

Is this the way it should work? My first simple use was just a notification to tell me it was turned off so I can go jab the power button. However I don't think this is going to work if the stauts of device needs to be queried all the time.

Simon

Hello Simon,

It's been awhile and am very happy you were able to make this work, finally!

My first guess is the fact the SL is not dual band. Next are you sure your Insteon network is properly coupled / bridged as confirmed by the 4 tap (beacon) test outlined by the 2413S PLM user guide.

Next, more than likely the gear your controlling is a noise maker / signal sucker. So some of this gear may be impacting the SL and the COM's.

A filter linc may be in order here.

You could simply write a program that query the SL at set intervals so you know it's current state as a work around.

Those are my thoughts for today.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Archived