OMG!! I am so tired of this app

James Peterson

I don't usually chime in here but I've been a long time ISY user. MobiLinc has never gotten much support from the Android side (much less any side) and even on iOS still looks like it was developed a long time ago.

ISY has a full REST API capable of doing anything you want it to. I think it's long awaited that a developer for Android start fresh with the latest style guides and sit down and develop an app. It's been a while since I've coded at a level of this type, but the purpose or REST is to allow for easy programability. 

Geofencing and various other areas that are included in MobiLinc are common code at this point. Mostly it's going to be UX and determining how to structure the data when it's gathered. Basic functionality can come first with just displaying the things in the same way you have them in your folders in ISY, with a nice polished look that follows the Material style guide (https://developer.android.com/design/index.html)

Anyone wanna start? :) I wish I had the time to code, but finding time would be tough for me. 

Hello doubleshot,

Thanks so very much for the feedback. As mentioned before, we are in discussions with one of the forum members to develop an Android version. Of course, we will welcome others who want to help since we are currently thinking that at least part of the project (not the core) would be open source so that others can add additional functionality such as tasker, voice, geo fence, ELK, cameras, etc. The reason is that it would take us a long time to get to a full featured version without some additional help.

With kind regards,

Michel

I thought one of the current hold ups is getting a reliable subscription going.  you can push and pull with rest, but I want real time updates.  i could live with a refresh for an interim basis, but in the long term i want tablets and phones mounted or pulled out of your pocket to be up to date.

Mobiblinc for me cannot reliably handle going from local wifi to secure back and forth at all. it's always confused about how to access.

Personally, I have attached a program and network resource to each load device 'Status' events to wait 2 seconds and then call the AutoRemote API. Tasker then receives the status and stored it in a device specific variable - and these variables are then used to initialize controls on a scene showing the current status. Seems to work well enough for me.... but was a lot of work to get setup.

There is no reason that via a portal subscription UDI couldn't offer push via the Google device messaging API to push real time status down to the app on the phone or tablet - in a very power efficient way. Other than development time of course!

Personally, I have attached a program and network resource to each load device 'Status' events to wait 2 seconds and then call the AutoRemote API. Tasker then receives the status and stored it in a device specific variable - and these variables are then used to initialize controls on a scene showing the current status. Seems to work well enough for me.... but was a lot of work to get setup.

There is no reason that via a portal subscription UDI couldn't offer push via the Google device messaging API to push real time status down to the app on the phone or tablet - in a very power efficient way. Other than development time of course!

Michael, I agree with your emphasis on sending real-time data to Android in a very power efficient way.

I've been doing something similar to what you're doing having the ISY send data to AutoRemote, which uses Google Cloud Messaging to route the data to Tasker on Android. From there I'm using Zooper Widget Pro to display the data in a widget. But like you said it took some work to get it set up.

Anyway, here's a screen capture showing an Android widget using data from ISY:

post-6635-0-30000900-1441815781_thumb.png

Michael, I agree with your emphasis on sending real-time data to Android in a very power efficient way.

I've been doing something similar to what you're doing having the ISY send data to AutoRemote, which uses Google Cloud Messaging to route the data to Tasker on Android. From there I'm using Zooper Widget Pro to display the data in a widget. But like you said it took some work to get it set up.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-09-09-11-00-32_B.png

Hi,

I actually invested in both Tasker and Zooper Widget Pro, but for me it got too complicated for me to setup and back then I wasn't even doing any real Home Automation.

But I am able to use both and did pay for both.

Maybe I can pay you to try out what you did for my installation.

Rob

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-09-09-11-00-32_B.png

GCM is definitely the way to go in my opinion if an app is developed.  that way all commands from the app can be kept simple with REST commands and the subscription can be managed by a separate app server and relay messages to the mobile device.

GCM is definitely the way to go in my opinion if an app is developed.  that way all commands from the app can be kept simple with REST commands and the subscription can be managed by a separate app server and relay messages to the mobile device.

I want it to work on my local LAN with no internet access. Since I am almost always in my house when turning something on or off I don't want to have to use the internet to do so. Plus my connection is unreliable. Nothing to piss you off like trying to turn on a light, but you can't because the internet is down.

I want it to work on my local LAN with no internet access. Since I am almost always in my house when turning something on or off I don't want to have to use the internet to do so. Plus my connection is unreliable. Nothing to piss you off like trying to turn on a light, but you can't because the internet is down.

The GCM would only be used for subscription notifications, not for node/device commands.  I makes intermittent connections more reliable for notifications since they will persist until they receive a response from the client ack.

• 2 months later...

I too am an Android user and I feel fortunate to have never seen what the IOS version of Mobilinc, looks like.  Without seeing what is missing I still get the sense that this app should be way better. 

If I am Wes and UDI I would look at my customers in this way.  Android user are typically, in my opinion, people who like the flexibility and creativity that Android offers and not be bound by as many limitations and restrictions. I think they like to tinker and experiment and that sounds like just the type of people that are interested in home automation and ISY, not in the way of having something just work out of the box but enjoy the challenge of doing it themselves and customizing things the way they like, which is exactly what I like about the ISY.  A perfect example is the Tasker app which has limitless creation, is there anything close to that on IOS?  Once again just my opinion and no offence meant but I would not be surprised if the vast majority on this forum, and using ISY, are Android users. 

I am not judging or cutting down people that use IOS as the Iphone is a good product.  I am just wondering why when Android has around 64% of the market to IOS 30%, in the USA, would Mobilinc not focus more on Android or at least equal?  They should take advantage of the monopoly they have now and make Mobilinc the best Android and IOS, ISY app out there, before some one else comes along and does it better.  If Mobilinc thinks the Android version is not worth brining up to the IOS level then maybe UDI should find someone who will or create an app themselves! 

The last update was a big help, but it still massively screws up whether it is on the local network or outside the house.  I have a decent sized lot with metal house and shop so have a few access points.  Someday I will figure out how to configure a couple of them to kick off the phone, but they tend to hold onto it into low low signal and mobilinc goes secure when I am blatantly in my home network. Well secure does not work for snot when you are on the local network.

So 90% of the time at home I have to close the app after I start it, restart it and hope it connects the right way. 

What I would like it to do is check the SSID for what it's connected to  and KNOW I am local or not period..  And then tell me it's not getting an answer from the ISY so I can maybe change how I am connected and then retry on it's own..  It just hangs waiting on something forever with no feedback as to what it is doing..

The last update was a big help, but it still massively screws up whether it is on the local network or outside the house. I have a decent sized lot with metal house and shop so have a few access points. Someday I will figure out how to configure a couple of them to kick off the phone, but they tend to hold onto it into low low signal and mobilinc goes secure when I am blatantly in my home network. Well secure does not work for snot when you are on the local network.

So 90% of the time at home I have to close the app after I start it, restart it and hope it connects the right way.

What I would like it to do is check the SSID for what it's connected to and KNOW I am local or not period.. And then tell me it's not getting an answer from the ISY so I can maybe change how I am connected and then retry on it's own.. It just hangs waiting on something forever with no feedback as to what it is doing..

Maybe look at creating a MESH wifi network with the same SSID. Then it will hold but connect to the most powerful WIFI access point. Look at http://www.open-mesh.com - also Uniquiti has nice powerful AP that have a large coverage. Ubnt.com - just a couple ideas.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

WOW... Can't believe this thread is still going.  

In case anyone is interested not does not know.  I took matters in to my own hands.  http://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/120-agave-android-app/

Its not the greatest app yet, but its being worked on and I am taking suggestions.  Open Beta: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/18817-open-beta-access/

WOW... Can't believe this thread is still going.  

In case anyone is interested not does not know.  I took matters in to my own hands.  http://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/120-agave-android-app/

Its not the greatest app yet, but its being worked on and I am taking suggestions.  Open Beta: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/18817-open-beta-access/

James

I was thinking about this earlier today. A lot happened in a year, and its a great app. Waiting for the cool/rainy season to end here so I can use it to start up my sprinkler system!

Paul

Yes, it is a very good app and worth looking at if you are an Android user. Unfortunately for me, I still need Mobilinc at least until Agave supports multiple locations.

Does mobilinc support multiple devices or is it through mobi connect? I guess I never looked for that when I was using it because I only had the single isy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived