Open/Close sensor - Bug?

Techman

I recently added a 2843-222 open/close sensor, Rev 1.B.  When I added the sensor I selected the 2843-222 Open/Close sensor option from the drop down menu but the device installed as a 2421 Triggerlinc (there's also an option to install a 2421 Triggerlinc in the drop down menu which wasn't selected)

The heartbeat is only showing an ON state in the ISY. I checked the log after a few days and found only "ON" heartbeat entries, no "OFF" entries.

I have good communication with the device so I know that's not an issue.

The ISY also is displaying a "CLOSED" node which never populates. The "OPEN" node is working as it should.

The ISY firmware is 4.3.1.

Not sure I have a defective device or if it's a ISY firmware bug.

The 2843-222 Open/Close Sensor adds as a TriggerLinc.  The Heartbeat node does not alternate On/Off.   The state of the Heartbeat is based on the state of the Opened node when the Heartbeat happens.   My 2843-222 devices are hardware v1.9 which has a Jumper inside that can be removed to activate the Closed node.

Users have posted the v1.B hardware variant no longer has a removable Jumper to activate the Closed node. 

Just found an additional User Manual added for 2843-222 that is specific to devices without the Jumper. 

Hi LeeG

The manual for V1.B has no mention of a heartbeat node, but it does mention a multi scene mode which doesn't show up as an option in the ISY.

I think there may be an issue with the ISY firmware as it gives you the option to install both the triggerlinc and the open/close module but only installs as a triggerlinc.

The ISY doesn't seem to support the multi scene mode or properly display the heartbeat status. In my case the heartbeat always shows "ON" so there's no way to tell if a signal is sent.

I reread your original post, what exactly is it you think is wrong?  The only node you really need to be using is the Open node.  The Closed node won't do anything in the default config of the sensor.  Heartbeat just pings current state every so often so you know battery is still working.

Hi Techman,

Please note that SmartHome removed the heartbeat from the most recent version of this device.

As suggested, please remove and instead use Auto Discover to link it back.

With kind regards,

Michel

Seems Smarthome is going in the wrong direction. So now there's no way to monitor the battery / communication status of the device with the current firmware release, or did I miss something?

Techman

I had this Program Disabled for some other tests.  This is how I monitor Heartbeat at v1.9 hardware.  I Enabled the Program but it may take 24 hours to confirm the v1.9 Heartbeat is functional.

Of course you have v1.B hardware so this type Program is of no use based on Michel's last post.

Multi Scene is simply linking a Scene to the Opened node and the Closed node.  Something the ISY has always been able to do.  Not sure how the Closed node is activated at v1.B without the physical Jumper.  

I've ordered 2 Open/Close Sensors which should give me a v1.B to test.

HeartbeatOCS1 - [iD 0071][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'OpenClose1-Opened / OpenClose1-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or Control 'OpenClose1-Opened / OpenClose1-Heartbeat' is switched Off
Then
        Wait  25 hours 
        Send X10 'A11/On (3)'
Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Hi Techman,

Please note that SmartHome removed the heartbeat from the most recent version of this device.

As suggested, please remove and instead use Auto Discover to link it back.

With kind regards,

Michel

Really? What a crying shame . . .  :|  :cry:  :?

Techman

I had this Program Disabled for some other tests.  This is how I monitor Heartbeat at v1.9 hardware.  I Enabled the Program but it may take 24 hours to confirm the v1.9 Heartbeat is functional.

Of course you have v1.B hardware so this type Program is of no use based on Michel's last post.

Multi Scene is simply linking a Scene to the Opened node and the Closed node.  Something the ISY has always been able to do.  Not sure how the Closed node is activated at v1.B without the physical Jumper.  

I've ordered 2 Open/Close Sensors which should give me a v1.B to test.

HeartbeatOCS1 - [iD 0071][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'OpenClose1-Opened / OpenClose1-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or Control 'OpenClose1-Opened / OpenClose1-Heartbeat' is switched Off
Then
        Wait  25 hours 
        Send X10 'A11/On (3)'
Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

LeeG

With V1.9 I only get an "ON" heartbeat signal, never an "OFF", which shows up in the heartbeat node on the ISY, so once the "on" is sent there is no way to further monitor its status.  When do you think you'll have the product?

If you look at Michel previous post he stated that the heartbeat was removed from the current release, however that doesn't seem to be 100% correct as I'm getting 1/2 of the heartbeat signal.

The Heartbeat node at v1.9 sends an On or Off command based on the state of the Opened node (at least as I remember it).   There are so many devices I have worked with a Heartbeat node I could be wrong.  My v1.9 has not yet triggered my monitor Program.  With it on a 24 hr cycle it could be several more hours.

To monitor the Heartbeat node requires a Program.  You can have the Open/Close Sensor reflect an Open condition, have a Heartbeat message, change the Open/Close Sensor to Close and the wait for the next heartbeat message.  That is more work than I want to do.   Looking at the Heartbeat Program information or have it send a message is much easier.   

I ordered 2 Open/Close Sensors last night (Eastern time).   It should ship tonight (Tuesday)  with 4 day travel time.

post-707-0-18498200-1433256893_thumb.jpg

To monitor the Heartbeat node requires a Program.  You can have the Open/Close Sensor reflect an Open condition, have a Heartbeat message, change the Open/Close Sensor to Close and the wait for the next heartbeat message.  That is more work than I want to do.   Looking at the Heartbeat Program information or have it send a message is much easier.   

In order for a program to work the heartbeat need to seen both an on and an off, I never get an off signal. I have other devices that send heartbeats which I monitors with programs and they work flawlessly.  I'm going to try to speak with someone at Smarthome today to see if I can narrow down the issue.

In order for a program to work the heartbeat need to seen both an on and an off, I never get an off signal. I have other devices that send heartbeats which I monitors with programs and they work flawlessly.  I'm going to try to speak with someone at Smarthome today to see if I can narrow down the issue.

On and Off are not required with ISY.

One signal, On or Off should suffice. This is how most heartbeats are done. I haven't experienced a bi-polar heartbeat out of the dozens I have experienced before. Insteon units are a new style for me.

LeeG's program, demonstrated, should work with either style just fine. ISY can detect a repeated initiator with it's "control" trigger.

My Heartbeat Programs do not require the Heartbeat command to cycle between On and Off.   If the Open Close Sensor remains in the same state the same Heartbeat command will be sent.  The Heartbeat Program refreshes the 25 hour Wait regardless of Heartbeat command received.  The Program checks for either command so it does not matter whether the Open Close Sensor is in the Open or Close state at Heartbeat time.  

EDIT:  sorry larryllix, had not read your post when I responded to Techman.  You had already covered the item.

On and Off are not required with ISY.

One signal, On or Off should suffice. This is how most heartbeats are done. I haven't experienced a bi-polar heartbeat out of the dozens I have experienced before. Insteon units are a new style for me.

LeeG's program, demonstrated, should work with either style just fine. ISY can detect a repeated initiator with it's "control" trigger.

Puzzled...  How then would one, either visually or programmatically, distinguish a steady-state "heartbeat" value from a "hung" process..?

famous door sensor.

The hearthbeat is sent every 24hrs off / on depends on the state of the senor that time. I have made a counter to check

The opened node will be off/on depending on magnet position

I f a magnetic conctact is added on the bus ( jumper on) the opened node state will be off/on if the side magnet is not present

if side magnet present state will be always off.

The closed node is to be used with the external bus.Depending if the jumper is place or not.On my system it will show-up

but   is weird. I am looking at this today time permitting. it seems to go in a latching on mode and can't come out of it.

Other issues also with this sensor  in the dashboard, I reported it in the other thread.

bipto

Can you expand on what "hung" is.   If the Open Close Sensor fails to send a Heartbeat within 25 hours the Program indicates a problem.

"Hung" in my software dev world to describe a device, application, process, etc. that has somehow been rendered unresponsive.  A "heartbeat" is typically a bit, value, etc., that is changed by such an entity at a specified frequency to indicate a responsive state.  I understood Larry's statement to mean that the heartbeat was somehow a static value rather than a single, specified value being "resent" ...  I got it now...   :)     

steadler

Sorry but the Jumper is not specific to the use of an external sensor.  The Jumper being removed activates the 2nd node , Closed, which has nothing to do with whether the external sensor is used.

Possible , I have never used it before. I have to look at it time permitting. I have used the contact for long time so fa very good. The heartbeat works fine.

Still the second scene does not seem to work correctly.

I just spoke with Smarthome.

Beginning with hardware revision 1.B the heartbeat signal was changed from alternating between sending and ON and an OFF to just sending an ON.

The status of the sensor contacts should have no effect on the heartbeat signal. Strangely, there's no mention a heartbeat signal in the manual for this release.

I'll monitor this sensor for a few days to see if the ON signals show up.  Should the ISY have a log entry for each ON heartbeat signal sent or only if the state of the heartbeat signal changes?.

I just spoke with Smarthome.

Beginning with hardware revision 1.B the heartbeat signal was changed from alternating between sending and ON and an OFF to just sending an ON.

The status of the sensor contacts should have no effect on the heartbeat signal. Strangely, there's no mention a heartbeat signal in the manual for this release.

I'll monitor this sensor for a few days to see if the ON signals show up.  Should the ISY have a log entry for each ON heartbeat signal sent or only if the state of the heartbeat signal changes?.

Thanks for getting that valuable information to the field members. Speaking for myself I see more value in seeing the node turn on/off.

This limits ambiguity as to if something is operating as expected. Once again, June 02, 2015 Smartlabs / Smarthome continues to show they have no intentions to communicate to their customers!

The biggest problem is that now there are at least (by my count) three different types of behaviors people will need to be on the look out for. Older units had no heart beat, later heart beat was incorporated using the on/off toggle, now it it just turns on?

Really???

If you're going to change something how about you take the freaking time to document it and use the power of the Internet for blasted sakes.

So stupid . . .

Archived