Cheap / Simple Humidity or Temperature to ISY ?

telljcl

If you're going to use UTP cable use CAT6 because it's thicker than CAT5e cable. Also do not use CCA cable because it's not in wall rated and not NEC approved.

Better yet use 22-4 alarm wire as its thicker but does not offer the extra pairs should you wish to star off from another junction point.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

There is a bit of a defacto standard attempting to evolve for 1wire over Cat5/6 cable and using the same as Ethernet RJ-31? 8 pin connectors but it can get expensive and inconvenient for certain wiring configurations.

sheepwalk electronics tends to support this 1wire connector system with daisy-chainable connectors on each board to use store bought cables, if desired. The connections diagrams I found online never agreed with the sheepwalk electronics connections or each other for that matter.

When I posted my reply I assumed that you were interested in only checking against exceeding a predetermined discrete threshold value and then building code around this. If instead you want to check for several levels of temp-humidity, this will be more difficult. The ISY cannot directly read analog inputs, so one of the other solutions discussed here may be more suitable. Smartenit does have an 8 output unit that could conceivably provide 8 outputs (possibly more using binary logic).

Sent from using Tapatalk

The cost of a Raspberry Pi 2 to do temperature and humidity monitoring/logging is currently $79.

An external monitor, keyboard and mouse aren't necessary. You can write the Raspbian Linux image to the microSD card and connect to it using PuTTY or some other SSH terminal software. The first time the Pi boots it will be "raspberry pi" on your network and many routers will allow you to connect using that host name (or you can log into your router to see what IP address was set by DHCP). After logging in the initial setup command is: sudo raspi-config.

Component costs on Amazon are: $70 CanaKit Pi 2 Starter Kit (Pi2, 8 GB MicroSD, WiFi Adapter, Power Supply, Case) + $9 for a DHT22 temp/hum sensor (SMAKN DHT22 AM2302). This doesn't include the breadboard, wires and a pull-up resistor shown in the photo.

This is a photo of a Raspberry Pi I set up this afternoon to log to Smart Energy Groups. I'm using an Edimax WiFi adapter here but so far I've found it interchangeable with the WiFi adapter included in the CanaKit Starter Kit (except this one doesn't stick out as much).

I've been testing the emonTH, which is a wireless, battery-powered remote temperature sensor. It can use DHT22 (temperature and humidity) and/or DS18B20 (temperature only) sensors.

The DHT22 specs are RH range 0-100%, +/- 2% (max 5%), temperature -40 to 80 Celsius, +/- 0.5.

Current cost for an emonTH with a DHT22 sensor and case is 32.30 GBP ($50 USD). The RFM69Pi device on the Raspberry Pi side can communicate with multiple emonTH's and costs 15.50 GBP ($24 USD).

Getting back to the OP question, so far I've found the Aeotec MultiSensor 6 that Teken had mentioned is pretty good if you calibrate the temperature and humidity readings using its Z-Wave configuration parameters.

Scott,

I saw this device last year and it was one of the possible solutions on my radar. Unfortunately the Canadian dollar is seriously in the toilet and with shipping, exchange the package deal exceeds well over $100.00 USD. We are currently $0.70 to the U.S Dollar never mind British Pound which is $1 GBP equals $2.04 CDN.

Shipping was stated at the time $25.00 GBP which doesn't make sense for one sensor when I need 4-6 of them.

I would lose my shorts after duties and tax's . . . 

I'm using the Pi / OWLink setup, and it's working great. I'm also pushing data to a MySQL database for storage using a crude home brew script, and using the pi to run a web server with a couple basic PHP scripts to display info. My network is a star configuration, with some of the runs having multiple sensors. I'm only up to 7 sensors so far, but it's been largely flawless.

My biggest single expense was the box of cat5 cable I bought for $80, and the crimp tool I splurged on to make my life easier installing the cable runs. I even bought a can of black Plasti-Dip so I could drop a sensor into the fish tank.

It's been a fair bit of learning experience for me, since I'm by no means a coder, but I have learned a surprising amount by just poking around online, and in the 6 months or so since I started on it, I've gotten a lot more comfortable on the command line, and with basic elements of programming.

The end result is that I have a very nice temp sensing setup, accurate and reliable enough that I have barely touched my ceiling fan controls all summer. And it's been hot! If you decide to go this route, I'm happy to help you any way I can, and I'm sure others here will be equally happy to help as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived