1983 Vintage Home Thermostat

Grizzy

Hello,

I need to replace my inefficient Mercury bulb theromstat from 1983.

My new Heating / Cooling Thermostat must link to the ISY.

I have a heat pump system with an emergency heat option installed.

Basic system, single speed, no dehumidifier or anything fancy. Just heat and cool.

I have looked at insteon , however they do not have one for a heat pump system. I do not have venstar.

Can someone recommend a suitable replacement.

Thanks

Don

Venstar is you only other option if you want Insteon. There are a few Z-wave thermostats, but that option requires a Z-Wave module for the ISY.

No recommendation--I don't have any Z-Wave thermostat experience nor have I seen any predominant post preference.

I have 6 of the Trane TZEMT400BB3NX and don't have any complaints. I also have a never used Venstar T1700 that I will sell if it will work for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Jimbo,

The Trane looks like it might be a good choice, especially since you are using the with good results.

Can you use the thermostat data in ISY programs and then turn the AC on or off by program conditionals ?

Don

Hi Jimbo,

The Trane looks like it might be a good choice, especially since you are using the with good results.

Can you use the thermostat data in ISY programs and then turn the AC on or off by program conditionals ?

Don

Hey Don,

Yes you can use all the thermostat data in ISY programs.  I have a bunch, like sending a text when it's cool outside but the AC is running, and adjusting heat/cool setpoints based on occupancy and/or time of day.   I also have a CT100 on battery power outside, although I have issues with it sending updates which I have not pursued further.  Speaking of batteries, I guess you need to make sure you have power to your thermostat location since you might want different opinions if you don't have power.  The only thing I don't like about the Trane's is that my old ones had a led that showed a dim red/green if it was currently heating or cooling, which these don't, and I miss it.

- Jim

I have an RCS Z-Wave thermostat model 001-01773 and a 2gig CT100 Z-Wave thermostat. They both work fine with my Isy. The RCS requires a 24 volt C connection and the CT100 can be used as a four wire or five wire connection. 

Archived