An easier way to get IR into ISY99

Michaelv

I am just getting started with my ISY99 pro ir. I am having difficulty uderstanding how to set and control my Insteon Devices using remote IR Codes. Is there any documentation as to how to set this up? Then I got to thinking. What if I set up my IR commands and linked them to the IR Linc like it says in the users Guide. Then link the IR Link to the ISY while keeping the existing links. I want to use IR lincs as they are easily set up in any room. I am relly lost here.

Please help!!

MV

Hello Michaelv,

If you have IRLinc, then it would be much easier to use IRLinc as each button acts just like a button on any regular switch.

For instructions/tutorial on setting up IR with ISY, please peruse the links under documentation here:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... es_INSTEON

With kind regards,

Michel

I am just getting started with my ISY99 pro ir. I am having difficulty uderstanding how to set and control my Insteon Devices using remote IR Codes. Is there any documentation as to how to set this up? Then I got to thinking. What if I set up my IR commands and linked them to the IR Linc like it says in the users Guide. Then link the IR Link to the ISY while keeping the existing links. I want to use IR lincs as they are easily set up in any room. I am relly lost here.

Please help!!

MV

So are you agreeing with me? If I set up my IR linc independant of the ISY, linking it manually to appliance links, switches and KPLs, etc., Then discover the IR Linc within the ISY, importing the links previously set up. Will the ISY be aware of all the link I have made?

I read the article in the link you sent, I am now aware that the ISY does not learn all types of IR codes. The IR Linc only respondes to NEC codes. What is the work around here? I want to use a plug in IR receiver that will communicate with the ISY 99. The IR Linc only accepts NEC Codes and the ISY 99 Only accepts RC5 Codes. Is there any Documentation showing how to integrate the IR linc with the ISY99?

Thanks

MV

I would link the IRLinc THROUGH the ISY's interface - don't link the IRLinc to your IR codes independently of the ISY.

Since you'll be using the IRLinc for your IR, you must use NEC codes. The RC5 code requirement is if you are using the IR receiver built into the ISY, which you won't be.

I believe Michel is suggesting you use the IRLinc because its virtual devices can be added to scenes, which will execute independently of the ISY.

The ISY's built-in IR receiver, which I think works great, works only through Programs.

No... the opposite. Add the IRLinc to the ISY through the Administrative Console. To do this, click the LINK MANAGEMENT pulldown, then choose ADD BUTTON TO IRLINC and follow the on-scren instructions.

This will allow you to create links betwen your devices and your IRLinc, THROUGH the ISY's interface. This is quicker and easier than using the IRLinc's manual tap/tap method and ensures that the ISY is aware of all your devices and links - which is extremely important if you want a stable system.

The advantage of using the IRLinc instead of the ISY's integreated IR receiver is that you can use the IRLinc buttons in scenes. This means that if your ISY gets turned off, unplugged, dies, whatever - your IR controls will continue to function.

The ISY's integrated IR receiver only works through Programs, which means if the ISY is ever disabled for any reason your IR commands will not work.

I hope this is more clear.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your patience with a newbie to the ISY99. I am trying to Set up my IR codes THROUGH the ISY via the IR Linc But after I send the code to be learned The LED button on the IR Linc Blinks for about 2 minutes and Nothing new shows up in the device list.

I am pretty sure I am following the instruction correctly and this is happening on 2 different IR Lincs.

Any Help on this?

Thanks in Advance.

MV

I haven't used an IRLinc in a while, so I just tried it out here. It's a newer IRLinc (with credit card remote).

I plugged it in, then on the ISY Admin Console clicked LINK MANAGEMENT, then ADD BUTTON TO IRLINC. I then followed the on-screen instructions:

- press and hold IRLinc's SET button for 5 seconds

- release, and the light on the IRLinc will go out

- point a compatible remote at the IRLinc and press a button

- light will start flashing if a compatible IR command is received

- click OK button on the ISY Admin Console

- device shows up under My Lighting

- repeat the above steps if you want to learn more codes, otherwise click CANCEL

I am getting a "request failed" message after hitting the CANCEL button (Michel - is that normal?), but otherwise the IRLinc is working fine here.

But after I send the code to be learned The LED button on the IR Linc Blinks for about 2 minutes and Nothing new shows up in the device list.

Are you clicking OK once the IRLinc starts flashing?

UPdate!! I have been able to learn 2 Codes Into the IR Linc Through the ISY. I also got the request failed. Now, How do I associate the codes with the device I want to control. One code is for on and one code is for off. I hope that if I hold the on it will brighten and if I hold the off it will dim.

Almost There!!

MV

Archived