What does the ! Really mean and can it be cleared?

baabm

I am in the process of reprogramming the buttons on two tabletop KPLs. All of a sudden, one of them started showing the 1011 symbol, so I tried to relink, then tried a "restore device" and at some point, I got the exclamation point. I tried pulling the air gap ,pulling the plug, restarting the 994, but the ! Remains. The funny thing is that it appears that the switch is working (at least I haven't found what isn't working yet on it.) So what does it mean and is there a way to clear it short of buying another $70 switch.

The 1011 and ! are nearly always indications of a communication, not a device, problem. Try Restore device followed by Write Updates to device. Also make sure the wiring connections are secure and tight. If that doesn't fix the problem or the problem recurs, try to determine what else is on the same circuit that maybe interfering with communication. Start by unplugging every device on that circuit. Simply turning a device off won't help. It must be unplugged or disconnected.

I am in the process of reprogramming the buttons on two tabletop KPLs. All of a sudden, one of them started showing the 1011 symbol, so I tried to relink, then tried a "restore device" and at some point, I got the exclamation point. I tried pulling the air gap ,pulling the plug, restarting the 994, but the ! Remains. The funny thing is that it appears that the switch is working (at least I haven't found what isn't working yet on it.) So what does it mean and is there a way to clear it short of buying another $70 switch.

You should try relocating the tabletop KPL to a different plug on a different circuit, that will help narrow down the communication/interference problem.

If that doesn't help then do a Factory Reset and then a Restore Device on the KPL

In general, all it should take to clear a ! is a query of the device unless there is a continuing comms problem to that device.  A 1011 means there are writes pending for the device.  Selecting "Write Updates" should clear a 1011.  If it's a wireless device, it will need to be put into linking mode before writing updates.

-Xathros

Archived